PDA

View Full Version : RadioTime Feature is a Winner!

NY2006
2006-08-26, 14:50
Updating SlimServer today I noticed the addition of adding my user name of RadioTime at the server settings.

This is great has RadioTime has the best radio listings I ever seen. Though some radio stations that support real audio and other formats won't work with Squeezebox it will be great to locate radio stations.

I would hope RadioTime can be added in the Squeezebox Network.

norderney
2006-08-26, 14:56
What is RadioTime?

NY2006
2006-08-26, 15:08
"What is RadioTime?"

Radiotime is a online radio guide to what's on the air...
you can check out their website at http://www.radiotime.com

If you are using the beta 6.5b1 slimserver you will see RadioTime in the server settings at InternetRadio.

Just put in your user name that you get free at RadioTime.com
There are many radio stations to explore with Slimserver.

It would be great if we could some how save some of these radio stations we find at RadioTime to our Favorites list at Squeezebox Network. Andy, is this possible or will it be possible in the next upgrade ? Thanks.

Paul Webster
2006-08-26, 16:32
What is RadioTime?
You can read up on the background here
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=26682
It is new in the 6.5 alpha/beta - from just 3 days ago or so.

smc2911
2006-08-26, 17:10
Have a look here too if you want to sample radiotime but you don't want to use the 6.5beta: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=26713

NY2006
2006-08-26, 17:38
"Have a look here too if you want to sample radiotime but you don't want to use the 6.5beta:"

Why not ? I'm using SlimServer 6.5 Beta which includes the RadioTime in the Server Settings...Please explain why wouldn't you want to use 6.5 Beta ?

andyg
2006-08-26, 18:17
Yes, the same RadioTime plugin will be available in the next SqueezeNetwork release.

NY2006
2006-08-26, 18:45
"Yes, the same RadioTime plugin will be available in the next SqueezeNetwork release."

That's great news Andy! I read that the only Windows Media Player stations will appear though RadioTime which is good so we don't track stations that can't play...however I am still getting stations that don't play..at first I thought they were real audio, etc that is not supported.

Any idea why these stations wouldn't play ?

This is the error messages I receive when a station doesn't connect to stream...

1- "Can't Connect to Retrieve Playlist"

2- "No Items Found in Playlist"

aubuti
2006-08-26, 20:44
Please explain why wouldn't you want to use 6.5 Beta ?
Because some people would rather use a stable version than one that still has known bugs that are being worked out. Some have to have the latest features, others are happy to wait until the dust settles: vive la difference!

smc2911
2006-08-26, 20:51
"Have a look here too if you want to sample radiotime but you don't want to use the 6.5beta:"

Why not ? I'm using SlimServer 6.5 Beta which includes the RadioTime in the Server Settings...Please explain why wouldn't you want to use 6.5 Beta ?
As aubuti says, some people don't like betas. Personally I've been a 6.5beta devotee from day one, but I've seen plenty of threads with comments from people who are very risk averse when it comes to trying out unstable versions (although by and large I've found 6.5 very stable).

nelamvr6
2006-08-26, 21:14

I don't do betas. period.

smc2911
2006-08-26, 21:23
I don't do betas. period.
There we go, a case in point. I just thought we beta users shouldn't be the only ones enjoying radiotime.

NY2006
2006-08-27, 07:33
"Because some people would rather use a stable version than one that still has known bugs that are being worked out."

I have found using 6.5 Beta in the last few weeks very stable.keep in mind the beta edition actually keeps getting updated nighty. The only problem I have found with it is with XM not being able to enter password. I hope XM and Real Rhapsophy can be fixed soon for the 6.5 Beta version.

nelamvr6
2006-08-27, 07:52
"Because some people would rather use a stable version than one that still has known bugs that are being worked out."

I have found using 6.5 Beta in the last few weeks very stable.keep in mind the beta edition actually keeps getting updated nighty. The only problem I have found with it is with XM not being able to enter password. I hope XM and Real Rhapsophy can be fixed soon for the 6.5 Beta version.

It's not that I don't trust the developers of SlimServer, I have gotten burned (badly) by betas in the past. My computer is (at least to me) "mission critical". I simply cannot afford to take risks.

Hell, I'm taking enough of a risk installing some people's shrink wrapped final release software! :D

radish
2006-08-27, 15:34
keep in mind the beta edition actually keeps getting updated nighty.
And that's precisely why I don't use it...

MrSinatra
2006-08-27, 15:49
cool website, can't wait to see how its incorporated.

Robin Bowes
2006-08-27, 16:17
radish wrote:
> NY2006;131426 Wrote:
>> keep in mind the beta edition actually keeps getting updated nighty.
> And that's precisely why I don't use it...

Actually "beta" is a misnomer.

The latest version of slimserver is always available from svn, and
snapshots are available nightly. These are not "beta" editions. They are
development snapshots.

I guess the closest we get to beta releases is when a branch is created
(e.g. the recent 6.5 branch).

Personally, I run the latest code, and sync to svn regularly. I've never
experienced any major issues, apart from when there are "big" changes,
like the change to split-scanner, etc.

R.

NY2006
2006-08-27, 16:20
"cool website, can't wait to see how its incorporated."

Thanks...I have a good collection of rare radio shows available on CDs...

Pale Blue Ego
2006-08-27, 21:40
beta? I tend to stay well behind the OFFICIAL releases. Much safer.