PDA

View Full Version : Using mobile phone to access Slimserver?

b4lly
2006-08-26, 02:57
Hi

Just wondering what address to put in my mobile so that I can access slimserver from the couch.

Tried http://myIP:9000 but it couldn't connect. This could be completely wrong and I feel like such a gimp, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
B4lly

funkstar
2006-08-26, 03:54
It is probably expecting a WAP server at the other end serving up WML pages instead of HTML pages.

Have a look at http://www.opera.com for Opera Mini or Opera Mobile.

After that you would be best to use http://myIP:9000/Handheld as a light weight skin

I've not tried this myself, but I am going to set it up when i get home sometime next week.

funkstar
2006-08-30, 11:30
Just as a little follow up, i installed Opera Mini on my SonyEricsson W800i yesterday and it works very well with the Handheld skin.

It took a couple of attempts for me to type my IP address in right (wasn't concentrating and kept transposing digits). But after that it went very smoothly.

Hopefully i shouldn't have any excuse of buying duplicate albums, now i can check my whole library from anywhere i have a mobile signal :)

Ross L
2006-08-30, 13:05
This will work fine if you're cell phone is connecting to your wifi network. Either that or you'll need to setup port forwarding.

How is your mobile phone connecting? Is it connecting via internet access through your mobile carrier, or is it just another client on your home network?

I use the PPC 6700 from sprint, with the handheld skin it's awesome.

funkstar
2006-08-31, 02:11
it's just a regular GPRS connection through the mobile network. The W800 doesn't have Wifi capabilities. Yes i have port forwarding enabled for just now

Ross L
2006-08-31, 11:38
Funkstar it sounds like you've got this figured out. I was asking b4lly about how his mobile phone was connecting.

b4lly if you'd like me to walk you through this you can call our support line.

funkstar
2006-08-31, 15:24
Sorry Ross, assumed you were following on from my post :)

peterw
2007-11-10, 16:30
Just as a little follow up, i installed Opera Mini on my SonyEricsson W800i yesterday and it works very well with the Handheld skin.

It took a couple of attempts for me to type my IP address in right (wasn't concentrating and kept transposing digits). But after that it went very smoothly.

Hopefully i shouldn't have any excuse of buying duplicate albums, now i can check my whole library from anywhere i have a mobile signal :)

I just installed Opera Mini on my Palm TX. No dice. Opera Mini seems to require funneling requests through Opera Software's own proxy servers (ick), so it simply doesn't work for web sites that are only accessible on the local WLAN. :-(

-Peter

funkstar
2007-11-10, 23:25
I just installed Opera Mini on my Palm TX. No dice. Opera Mini seems to require funneling requests through Opera Software's own proxy servers (ick), so it simply doesn't work for web sites that are only accessible on the local WLAN. :-(

-Peter
No, of course that won't work. You will need to open your SlimServer up to the rest of the internet by opening ports on your router and setting up some port forwarding.

Have a search about, there are dozens of other threads on this.

bhaagensen
2007-11-11, 03:20
As stated operamini won't work over lan. You could try opera for mobile, but it's not available on as many platforms. Symbian S60, Windows Mobile and possibly others.

EDIT: Of course you still need to set up port-forwarding etc. Some phones support IP over bluetooth. That could be a solution to.

About operamini:
Operamini makes requests thorough operas servers which receives the result and compiles into a size-efficient binary format which is sent to the phone. This is clever since it requires significantly less traffic on average use. It also makes operamini perform much better on complicated pages with the limited resources on most mobile phones.

(I do not work for opera, I just think it is a good application)

Bjørn

peejay
2007-11-11, 05:50
Hi

Just wondering what address to put in my mobile so that I can access slimserver from the couch.

Tried http://myIP:9000 but it couldn't connect. This could be completely wrong and I feel like such a gimp, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
B4lly
First thing to ask is what kind of mobile phone do you have? Give us the make and model and we can determine what kind of access you can have to slimserver. Generally speaking, you should have a phone which is Wi-Fi capable in order to operate 'slimserver from the couch'. It really doesn't make sense to use your mobile phone carrier's data network to access slimserver if you are within your own house where you can run your own data network for under $100 of your own outlay. Over to you.....