PDA

View Full Version : Remember player by MAC instead of IP?

Heimiko
2006-08-25, 03:28
Would it be possible to remember a player by its MAC address instead of its IP address?

I use a mobile to stream music from my SlimServer, but its IP address is dynamic (from the provider), so each time i make a new data connection, my IP address is different. So each time, a new player is created. this is a huge pain, cause i need to set the bitrate-limiter to a lower bitrate as my bandwidth is too narrow to stream at 320kbps.

If it's not possible, I'd sure like to see an option where you can set default options for "new" players, including a default playlist or something, as new players per default come up with an empty playlist, and need to set one through the web-browser.

So it's all possible right now to play tracks from my server through UMTS onto my PocketPC, but euhm.... it sure isn't easy.

As a third option, i thought about SSL tunneling, as connecting to an SSL tunnel would be streaming from the localhost (at both SS and the PocketPC) and this would eliminate the problem, as SS would only see a localhost connecting, having only a single player to setup, but: i can't find any SSL tunneling programs for a PPC.

Anyone any thoughts on this, on any of these options?

mherger
2006-08-25, 03:50
> Would it be possible to remember a player by its MAC address instead of
> its IP address?

This is default behaviour for local players, but...

> I use a mobile to stream music from my SlimServer, but its IP address
> is dynamic (from the provider), so each time i make a new data
> connection, my IP address is different. So each time, a new player is
> created.

IMHO MAC addresses aren't known on the internet. It's an ethernet thing.
Slimserver can't see your card's MAC address as it's not in the same
network.

> As a third option, i thought about SSL tunneling, as connecting to an

You mean SSH tunneling? Maybe the following helps:

http://www.dejavusoftware.com/pocketty/

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Heimiko
2006-08-25, 04:06
You making a habbit of awnsering all my posts? :-)

Thanks for the link, I did meant SSH tunneling. PockeTTY seems to work fairly well (don't know why i didn't found it earlier).

A big plus is now also that I don't have to have an open port onmy router for SS, all goes through a single SSH port now.

SS is now indeed recognizing my PocketPC as the localhost, and I don't have any problems anymore of a "new player" everytime I connect.

Thanks a bunch!