PDA

View Full Version : Which Radio Networks Avail. on SqueezeNetwork?

PGibbs
2006-08-22, 19:18
This may take a community effort. I think it would be useful to identify which radio networks are available on Internet Radio stations that are available through the SqueezeNetwork.

For example: ABC NewTalk, Fox News/Talk Radio, Air America (as long as it lasts), Salem Radio Network, the EIB Network (Rush Limbaugh), etc.

Why would anyone need this information?

One answer for me is that the local station that carries Bill Bennett's "Morning in America" show from 6:00 AM to 9:00 AM has to power down before sunrise and after sunset. That means during the winter I won't hear half the show because they can't go to full power until 7:30 AM. If I could get it on the SN, I would get around this problem.

Thanks for any help.
PGibbs

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-22, 19:31
You can add any URL you like to your SN Favorites.

NY2006
2006-08-24, 10:33
"You can add any URL you like to your SN Favorites"

I think maybe PGibbs was referring to Slim Device Picks as those station are preselected list, one which is CNN radio, RCI which currently isn't working in the Network but will in the next upgrade. I don't believe there are streams for other News media such as ABC News, etc. at least I couldn't locate them.
Again a list of what rado stations in the network are available though Slimserver at Slim Devices Picks. You do need a Squeezebox to access the list.

bpa
2006-08-24, 14:11
This is the URL for the Slim Picks OPML file - you can open it in Firefox (I'm not sure what IE will do with it) or WGET it.

http://www.slimdevices.com/picks/radio.opml

This is the Slim Picks list as used by Picks in Slimserver - I think it is the same list as Squeezenetwork.

PGibbs
2006-08-24, 21:15
Yes, what I am thinking of is identifying those radio stations that are already in the SqueezeNetwork which are affiliates to particular radio networks. For example, KFI-AM is one of the stations listed under Los Angeles in the "Slim Device Picks" menu selection under Internet Radio. This station is in the EIB Network which means it carries Rush Limbaugh.

I'm particularly looking for a station that is the Salem Radio Network which carries some talk radio programs that I cannot get very easily on the local station because I'm at the edge of its broadcast range. ABC and Fox also have radio networks.

I may be misunderstanding the system, but I thought that if you were going to add anything to the stations you can get over the SB3 you had to do it through the SlimServer and not the SqueezeNetwork ("SN"), which means you need to have your computer turned on to access your SlimServer. I don't leave my machine on 24/7 and so that is not a great solution.

If there is a way to add a radio station to the SqueezeNetwork, just point me at the FAQ/instructions and I'll take a stab at it. However, there remains the question of identifying the station and its URL that is a member of the requisite network. Listening to KRLA on the SN used to be addressing some of what I wanted, but it's not worked in months, even though it remains on the Slim Device Picks for Los Angeles.

aubuti
2006-08-24, 22:49
I may be misunderstanding the system, but I thought that if you were going to add anything to the stations you can get over the SB3 you had to do it through the SlimServer and not the SqueezeNetwork ("SN"), which means you need to have your computer turned on to access your SlimServer. I don't leave my machine on 24/7 and so that is not a great solution.

If there is a way to add a radio station to the SqueezeNetwork, just point me at the FAQ/instructions and I'll take a stab at it. However, there remains the question of identifying the station and its URL that is a member of the requisite network. Listening to KRLA on the SN used to be addressing some of what I wanted, but it's not worked in months, even though it remains on the Slim Device Picks for Los Angeles.
I don't know how to identify which stations are on the EIB, Salem, IAFI or any other networks, but once you find the station it's pretty easy to add them. You can most certainly add stations via SN, and therefore don't need your computer on to listen to those stations. Just go to www.squeezenetwork.com and it should be reasonably self-evident (the wiki doesn't appear to have much info on this yet).

It can be a challenge to find the URL that you need, especially on commercial stations whose web presence is via their proprietary players or flash interfaces. Some people have recommended "URL Snooper" as a tool for finding out the URL with the stream, but I haven't tried it myself. I've found most of the time I can get the URL by letting it load in iTunes or Windows Media Player or something, learning the URL from that, and then typing the URL into the "Favorites" section of www.squeezenetwork.com. Unfortunately, the URLs often change, so staying on top of it can be annoying, and that's why a "list of the stations on SD picks" that appeared to be suggested at the beginning of this thread seems futile to me: it's too much of a moving target, both in terms of stations chosen and the URLs for those stations.

Good luck, and if you can't find Rush or Fox, give KCRW a try.... ;o)

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-25, 05:47

No, you can add them to SqueezeNetwork just as easily as you can add them to SlimServer. Keep in mind they will be for yourself only though, through Favorites.

PGibbs
2006-08-25, 18:40
It is a mystery to me. I took the URL for KRLA off of the Slim Device Picks list (posted earlier in this thread) and added an entry for it to my Favorites at wwww.squeezenetwork.com. I got the same problem as before on by SB3: a long URL on the display and no success in connecting.

The strange thing is that the same URL works fine on my computer in connecting and getting the stream. What kind of incompatibility am I bumping into?

I guess it is back to Square 1 to get another URL that will work. I just picked up a program "WebRadio" that may help me in tracking down online radio.

At least now I know that there is a way to "do it yourself".

Thanks to all who have been commenting.

PGibbs
2006-09-03, 19:33
I finally found the best resource for getting the stations I wanted to access into my Favorites on SqueezeNetwork. It was right there in front of me. I looked through the Wiki on Internet Radio.

The solution (I think) is http://www.mikesradioworld.com/. By going there I was able to find some of the major talk radio stations in the country and copy and paste the URL's into my Favorites on SqueezeNetwork.

It's working like a charm.

I've successfully added WBBM (Chicago), WJR (Detroit), WABC (NYC) and WWTC (Minneapolis). That's a good start.

Good luck to anyone else who is a die-hard radio fan like me. The combination of SB3 and SqueezeNetwork gives you the most powerful radio receiver yet invented.

PGibbs