PDA

View Full Version : Artists not correct in compilations

Copsey
2006-08-22, 13:50
hi all
i'm sure there's an easy way round this but i've just installed slimserver and set it to work on my music collection. i've set the artist and album artist tags on the entire set so that i can browse it conveniently by the artist i want, but slimserver is showing me loads of extra artists i dont want to see in the list - plenty of the compilations i have in my collection, despite having proper artist and album artist tags set, have each track shown seperately in the browse by artists list. If this is to do with the smart logic to group by compilation, i'd like to turn it off to be honest, as i've already spent 12 hours tagging the entire collection to work with windows media centre! (so i have my album artist tags all set up correctly)

I've already ordered and paid for my squeezebox and i didn't expect this! Please help!

thanks

Copsey
2006-08-22, 23:14
should have said - slimserver 6.3

Wallaby
2006-08-22, 23:50
This article in the wiki may help you.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?VariousArtistsLogic

Scott

Copsey
2006-08-23, 01:02
thanks - i saw that but it seems to concentrate on enabling this functionality, but I need to turn it off.

Is slimserver parsing the title mp3 tag to work out the "artist" - I can't find any tag on the mp3 that has this string on its own. How can I turn this functionality off?

thanks again

Wallaby
2006-08-23, 02:13
I'm a bit lost...have you got an example?

Copsey
2006-08-23, 02:45
sure

I have an album -> Lamb, back to mine - compilation. I've tagged the whole thing so that the artist + album artist = "Lamb". I have prepended the individual artist to the track name so each track is named "<artist> - <title>". This is so i can browse by artist, and select Lamb, then the album "Back to mine" and play the album. The last thing I want to do is see each track's artist individually spread across my entire collection. This is exactly what slimserver shows me.

If I look at each track in mp3 tag assistant pro, it shows me "Lamb" for both artist tags and no tags show the individual artist. So I don't understand where slimserver is getting the individual artist from (unless there's an original tag on the mp3 that's stored and mp3 tag assistant isn't showing me, or its parsing the track title or filename for the info). Actually it isn't parsing the track title or filename, because i've seen it do it on one particular mp3 and come up with an artist name that's not mentioned anywhere - so is it some hidden tag I can't see?

It doesn't do this for all compilations. Just some.

Wallaby
2006-08-23, 03:20
If I look at each track in mp3 tag assistant pro, it shows me "Lamb" for both artist tags and no tags show the individual artist. So I don't understand where slimserver is getting the individual artist from (unless there's an original tag on the mp3 that's stored and mp3 tag assistant isn't showing me, or its parsing the track title or filename for the info). Actually it isn't parsing the track title or filename, because i've seen it do it on one particular mp3 and come up with an artist name that's not mentioned anywhere - so is it some hidden tag I can't see?

It doesn't do this for all compilations. Just some.

Not all taggers / programs can read all info from other taggers. For example, Media Centre can't read all the tags created by MP3Tag and Foobar for example. I've never used MP3 Tag Assistant so I can't comment on it's ability.

From what I've seen, Mp3Tag and Foobar seem to be able to read most tags - it might be worth checking the tags with one of these progs and see what additional info is hidden there.

If this doesn't work, I've got nothing...good luck.

Copsey
2006-08-23, 04:50
i'll certainly fire up those taggers and see what's what tonight, although i did run foobar2000 last night and looked at the offending lamb mp3 and it showed no hidden tags in there. I'll open the file in notepad tonight and see if i can spot anything.

I wish I could find out the root cause of what's happening though - it must have something to do with this logic around compilations - is there any way to just turn this off totally??

Siduhe
2006-08-23, 05:18
Could it be caused by the "Guess tag" feature of Slimserver ?

I don't know much about it, but essentially if Slimserver thinks a key field is blank (in this case artist - as Mp3tag assistant reports this blank) it tries to guess this from various sources, incuding the file name / track name.

Guess Tag can be found in the Server Settings / Formatting / Guess Tags Format.

If you fill in the Artist Tag using Mp3tag assistant, so that Slimserver doesn't think it is blank, I wonder if this behaviour will go away ? You will need to do a clear and rescan to pick up the changes.

Copsey
2006-08-23, 05:52
thanks - the artists (and "album artist") tags are all meticulously filled in!

Siduhe
2006-08-23, 06:20
Ah, I must have misunderstood your original post - sorry. The only other thing I can suggest is a corrupt tag.

I had one album which refused to show up properly in Slimserver, despite endless retagging, rescanning and rebuilding of the database. Eventually I blew all the tags away with Id3cleanup and retagged it from scratch. May be worth a try on a test album ?

Copsey
2006-08-23, 06:43
Could be - likesay, its not happening on all tracks. Although mp3 tag assistant thinks everything is hunky dory (and does, i believe, re-tag everything to your specifications when you hit Save).

Is there an app which will just show me the raw tags, whatever they may be, and interpret them according to the 3 id standards?

Copsey
2006-08-23, 11:53
Got it - the first poster was correct - I needed to set the behaviour to group by the artist "Group compilations together" AND then I needed to do a full rescan.

Sorry to waste all your time - hopefully that'll help someone else in future anyway.

Incidentally it WAS parsing the track title to find this spurious artist name (I opened the mp3 in notepad and searched for the string it thought was correct) - *really* odd behaviour to ignore the explicit artist and album artist tags set and try and derive something from the track title as a default!

Anyway - cheers all