PDA

View Full Version : slim server will not start - Perl58.dll

ohiost90
2006-08-22, 08:24
Hi -

I'm having trouble running slim server on a Win xp box. When i double click the icon, nothing happens.

When i right click -> run as "current user", an error displays from a win message box titled C:\Program files\SlimServer\SlimTray.ext
"Panic: Can't create c:\DOCUME~1\jim\LOCALS~1\Temp\pdk-jim\153a64f0fbf1d066accc90bb95e9471\perl58.dll

Any thoughts? thanks.

mherger
2006-08-22, 09:55
> When i right click -> run as "current user", an error displays from a
> win message box titled C:\Program files\SlimServer\SlimTray.ext
> "Panic: Can't create
> c:\DOCUME~1\jim\LOCALS~1\Temp\pdk-jim\153a64f0fbf1d066accc90bb95e9471\perl58.dll

There's a problem with your temporary folder. Run "cd %temp%" from a
command prompt. Does it work - then "md test".

Is Slimserver running as a service? If yes, what user is it running under
(settings/administrative tasks/services or something)?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

ohiost90
2006-08-22, 10:17
I was able to make a directory in my temp folder.

Slimserver is not running as a service.

thanks. any other ideas?

JJZolx
2006-08-22, 10:29
I'm having trouble running slim server on a Win xp box. When i double click the icon, nothing happens.
Are you talking about the tray icon? That's just SlimTray, which is a separate SlimServer control program. Double-clicking the icon just launches a browser window for the web interface to SlimServer.

You need to establish whether SlimServer itself is running, then maybe deal with the SlimTray issue later. SlimTray isn't necessary to run SlimServer. In a browser, enter http://localhost:9000 in the Address box and see if the SlimServer web interface is displayed. If so, then SlimServer is running.

ohiost90
2006-08-22, 10:38
In a browser, enter http://localhost:9000 in the Address box and see if the SlimServer web interface is displayed. If so, then SlimServer is running.

Result =
The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

slimserver isn't running. I can't find the page above in IE nor in task manager. thanks.

JJZolx
2006-08-22, 10:51
Result =
The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

slimserver isn't running. I can't find the page above in IE nor in task manager. thanks.
How are you launching SlimServer, if not as a service?

First, check the Event Logs and see if there are any helpful error messages logged there.

Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer

Then try running from a command line and see if any error messages are displayed in the console.

Start > Run > cmd

Enter (with the double quotes): "C:\Program Files\SlimServer\slim.exe"

ohiost90
2006-08-22, 11:16
I was able to get slim server running in a cmd window by typing "slim.exe" in the c:\program files\slimserver\server folder.

Slim.exe is shown as a process in task manager and the cmd window is still open.

the event log has some good stuff in it. messages containing start controls as well as stop cmds for slimserver. Also some windows defender messages stating that slimserver is "unwanted" i'm going to look into those further.

ohiost90
2006-08-22, 11:42
looks like windows defender isn't the problem. I shut that down and now i don't see those messages in the event log.

I seem to get these two messages in the system section:
1. The SlimServer service was successfully sent a start control.

2. The SlimServer service entered the stopped state.

I get these messages in the app section:
- The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: OpenService failed: The specified service does not exist as an installed service

- The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Undefined subroutine &main::init called at slimserver.pl line 35.

- The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Undefined subroutine &main::init called at slimserver.pl line 35.

ohiost90
2006-08-22, 11:44
one more piece of information. i went to "services" and started the slimservice. I get this message:

The slimServer service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services.....

mherger
2006-08-22, 12:04
> information is part of the event: OpenService failed: The specified
> service does not exist as an installed service

Maybe you should just deinstall anything SlimServer related and start all
over again (even including a fresh download)... There's definitely
something wrong with your installation.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

ohiost90
2006-08-22, 14:18
Maybe you should just deinstall anything SlimServer related and start all
over again (even including a fresh download)... There's definitely
something wrong with your installation.

I removed slimserver and installed several times to no avail. I was successful, on Kevin's advice from slim devices, by removing, deleting all contents of my temp folder, and reinstalling.

thanks for everyones help

ModelCitizen
2006-08-24, 11:03
Well, I'm glad you posted about this as I have experienced the very same thing trying to install 6.2.2 onto a Windows 2000 machine.
MC

agbagb
2006-08-24, 11:25
Hi -

When i right click -> run as "current user", an error displays from a win message box titled C:\Program files\SlimServer\SlimTray.ext
"Panic: Can't create c:\DOCUME~1\jim\LOCALS~1\Temp\pdk-jim\153a64f0fbf1d066accc90bb95e9471\perl58.dll

Any thoughts? thanks.

Oddly, I got exactly that PANIC message when I first installed Slimserver - it came up right at the end of the installation. However, Slimserver just worked perfectly regardless, and has continued to do so.

AGB

WSLam
2006-08-26, 04:09
I know this sounds strange, but do you have Java installed? I had that problem once, and after i installed JVM, SS works fine.

agbagb
2006-08-26, 10:23
I know this sounds strange, but do you have Java installed? I had that problem once, and after i installed JVM, SS works fine.

I've had a whole bunch of Java problems recently, so maybe that was it; though as I say, SlimServer worked fine even after that odd PANIC message. A few days later, my first installation of SoftSqueeze was a disaster, but, as those were clearly all Java problems (weird screen behaviour, system freezes etc etc), I took the time to unistall and re-install all my Java components (no easy task, btw), and now everything seems clean.

AGB