PDA

View Full Version : Should I switch from wireless to wired?

moshulu
2006-08-21, 01:54
I have my new SB3 in a “vanilla” configuration: WiFi modem – PC – SB3. The computer and SB3 are about 15 feet apart and are going to stay put. So – should I run a network (Ethernet) cable between them? Performance has been good so far, but I do get occasional dropouts on Internet Radio. The modem services two other computers in the apartment.

If I do install a cable, I assume it should be “straight through”, not “crossed”. Is this correct? Will the SB know that it is wired up, or should I somehow disable the wireless interface?

Maybe this is a stupid question, but does the SB “talk” to the modem, or just to the PC?

Many thanks for any advice.

moshulu

mherger
2006-08-21, 02:38
> So – should I run a network (Ethernet) cable between them? Performance
> has been good so far, but I do get occasional dropouts on Internet
> Radio. The modem services two other computers in the apartment.

If you're experiencing problems with Internet Radio only, then it's rather
the internet connection than a wireless issue.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-21, 05:51
As Michael says, you don't have wireless problems if you can play your own music without dropouts. Your music collection is most likely 128 kbps and higher, Internet radio is 128 kbps and lower.

Not that there's a reason to, but if you did want to wire things up, the proper cable to use is an ordinary patch cable, not a crossover cable. A crossover cable is what you'd use between two PCs or a PC and an SB. But you use a patch (straight through) cable between a hub, router or switch and any client device like a PC or an SB. This said, most routers/hubs/switches have autosensing ports which automatically switch when they detect an improper cable, so anything should work, but there's a chance your router doesn't have this so best not rely on it. Besides, patch cables are easier to find than crossover cables.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but does the SB “talk” to the modem, or just to the PC?

Depends what you're doing. If you're playing your own music off SlimServer, your SB is getting the data from your PC, which goes through your modem/router but not from the Internet. If you're on SqueezeNetwork, all the data comes from the Internet through your modem/router and you can turn off the PC.

Now if you're playing Internet Radio through SlimServer, the data comes from the Internet, through your modem, through SlimServer, then back through the modem/router to the SB. So you need your PC on in this case even though the audio data is coming from the Internet. SlimServer is converting the audio into SlimProto packets, processing remote commands, generating the SB screen, etc.

moshulu
2006-08-22, 12:33
Mark,

Thank you for replying, but I am still confused. I was thinking of installing a cable between the PC and the Squeezebox. The modem would stay the way it is: wireless. It's not clear to me now whether the cable would be straight-through or crossed. Please clarify.

moshulu

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-22, 12:41
Mark,

Thank you for replying, but I am still confused. I was thinking of installing a cable between the PC and the Squeezebox. The modem would stay the way it is: wireless. It's not clear to me now whether the cable would be straight-through or crossed. Please clarify.

moshulu

Oh, the PC? Doesn't your modem/router have any spare LAN (Ethernet) ports? This is by far the easiest.

If you really want to wire the PC to the Squeezebox, it complicates things: unless your PC gets Internet wirelessly, you'll have to install a second network interface card, then use (often buggy) Windows "bridging" software to share the Internet. It just needlessly complicates things when you probably have a perfectly-usable port on the router.

To answer your question, if you did want to do this, you'd use a crossover cable. But don't do this.

Re-reading this thread, now I'm confused. How is your modem connected to your PC? Wired or wireless? If it's wireless, you will be worse off by doing this. All the Internet traffic is still going over your limited wireless link but now it also has to go through a computer and some bridging software that could cause problems of its own.

moshulu
2006-08-23, 03:59
Thanks, Mark. Reading your message (and the Networking tutorial in the Wiki) I now understand that what I was trying to do made no sense.