PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet over power question

davidcotton
2006-08-18, 11:21
Hi

Intrigued by the ethernet over power option, I've got a couple of questions.

Atm I have my sb3(wired only)/dac combo hooked up in one room to a qnap ts101 running slimserver. In the other room across the hall way I have the pc with a netgear dg834 router and a 2 meg connection adsl connection.

When I want to listen to internet radio (which is happening a lot more than I thought it would be!)I have to run a length of cat 5 network cable from the sb3 across to the router and plug it in. Its inelegant but it works. Unfortunatly I have to disconnect it at nights as it could be dangerous to myself and others in the house!

So what I was wondering was is it possible to use this newfangled ethernet over power to link my sb3 in one room to the netgear router in the other? Also what would be really good is to have the option of having the qnap hooked up to the sb3 with something like an ethernet switcher (not sure what this is called!) with the link from the sb3 to the router in the other room. Then all I'd have to do is just press a button to toggle between the two.

Reason for doing it like this is because I like to keep the qnap seperate from the pc.

So the setup would be

sb3>switchbox>qnap>Router.

Also if anyones got any comments on what type EOP to use or any handy links would be most grateful.

Cheers

radish
2006-08-18, 11:34
So what I was wondering was is it possible to use this newfangled ethernet over power to link my sb3 in one room to the netgear router in the other?

Absoloutely, or you could use wireless.

Also what would be really good is to have the option of having the qnap hooked up to the sb3 with something like an ethernet switcher (not sure what this is called!) with the link from the sb3 to the router in the other room. Then all I'd have to do is just press a button to toggle between the two.

Reason for doing it like this is because I like to keep the qnap seperate from the pc.

Why? That sounds like entirely redundant complexity. Just throw everything on the same net and be done with it. How do you get content onto the qnap if there's no pc connected to it?

davidcotton
2006-08-18, 12:17
Absoloutely, or you could use wireless.

Why? That sounds like entirely redundant complexity. Just throw everything on the same net and be done with it. How do you get content onto the qnap if there's no pc connected to it?

Its a 500 gig one so I have pretty much everything on there as it is atm. The qnaps in one room with the pc in another. Done it that way as I like to listen to music/audio storys quite late and don't disturb others by having to go to the other room to switch off the pc when I've finished. I get stuff onto the qnap by connecting it to the pc every so often via the ethernet connection and copying over in bulk. The switcher was so I wouldn't have to keep disconnecting the sb3 from either the qnap or the router connection.

Cheers...

radish
2006-08-18, 12:52
You can still have slimserver running on the qnap, just have it able to see the router (and thus the internet) so you can play radio through it. The PC doesn't have to be involved at all if you don't want it to.

Honestly - "switchers" don't exist because you don't need them. Connect everything to the router, run slimserver on the qnap and the PC is out of the picture, but you can still play your local files or the radio.

aubuti
2006-08-18, 12:53
Sounds like you're a good candidate for powerline ethernet. Connect one to the router, and another one to your listening room. And rather than connecting the qnap directly to the SB3, connect each of them (the qnap and the SB3) to your LAN separately. The Netgear XE-104 powerline adapters have built-in 4-port switches, which is basically what you need. Or you could get a plain powerline adapter and buy a separate 4-port switch for about US$10.

Heuer
2006-08-19, 05:44
The Devolo High Speed 85Mbit work superbly. I have four of them and I can stream video from the security cameras, listen to SB and transfer data between two TiVo's at the same time. Each device runs at between 50 and 70 Mbit (about 3 times the real speed of 54g) and they are so simple to setup. Don't bother with the 14Mbit versions - go for the high speed ones at about the ame price from Amazon.

dennisd
2006-08-19, 22:18
I have 5 Homeplug devices tied to SlimP3's throughout the house and I have convinced my friends with SLIMP's to buy several also (Devolo among other names). They just work right out of the box. No more "bad wireless days". No worries about wireless security. My music no longer cares when the wife is cooking with the microwave. Go For It.

tommypeters
2006-08-24, 05:19
The Devolo High Speed 85Mbit work superbly. I have four of them and I can stream video from the security cameras, listen to SB and transfer data between two TiVo's at the same time. Each device runs at between 50 and 70 Mbit (about 3 times the real speed of 54g) and they are so simple to setup. Don't bother with the 14Mbit versions - go for the high speed ones at about the ame price from Amazon.
Here the Devolo 14MBps are less than half the price of the faster Devolo, and a third of Netgear 85MBit (and a fourth of Netgear 200MBps). I've read that the actual throughput of the 14MBps version is around 2MBps - that should still be enough I think?

However, I also recall something about the older models had problems because they only worked within the same phase so it depended on the wiring in your house if the plugs would connect? Is this true still for the 14MBps version, or was that pre-Homeplug 1.0?

Can one buy two sets of adapters and send form one and recieve from three, or do they only work in pairs?

The four ethernet connections in my router are all used (two computers, one printer and one NAS). Is it just to buy another switch and cascade them, so I move the printer and add the Homeplug to the new switch? (I've worked with computer in so many years, but not all has stuck...)

aubuti
2006-08-24, 05:41
I'm not sure about your first 2 questions, but for the latter 2:

- You're not limited to pairs. Each one is just another ethernet jack on your LAN, just like the 4 ports on your router.

- It sounds like a switch is all you need. You don't need to physically move the printer, you can plug it (or anything) into the switch just as well.

Michaelwagner
2006-08-24, 06:10
I've run SB3s over homeplug 1.0, the 14mb version.

Real experience is about half the 14.

Yeah, you do have to worry about phases a bit, which is a pain if you live in North America and have the standard 2 phase wiring in your home.

There's a thread elsewhere in the forum (search on keyword homeplug) where we discussed whether European homes are wired the same way. I can't remember the answer any more. It wasn't important to me to remember the answer because I no longer live there and it's not something a visitor cares about.

tommypeters
2006-08-24, 06:37
Thanks for your answers. It's Sweden for me, I will search around in the forum and see what applies to Europe.