PDA

View Full Version : Flac - MP3 On the Fly

agbagb
2006-08-18, 10:40
This is a prelude to a remote streaming to Winamp issue I'm having (which I'll come back to in a separate thread once I've clarified this below).

I'm sending from Slimserver to Squeezebox in FLAC. If I want to stream from Slimserver to Winamp, I understand that this must be done MP3 (and I've already correctly installed LAME.EXE in Slimserver). BUT, if I check FLAC -> MP3 in SERVER SETTINGS, does this now mean that Slimserver is now sending my FLAC source files to Squeezebox in MP3 too?

Is it possible to send FLAC to Squeezebox as FLAC, while converting those same FLACs to MP3 for streaming to Winamp? I notice that, if I uncheck FLAC -> MP3 in SERVER SETTINGS, this rechecks itself the moment I stream a FLAC to Winamp.

AGB

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-18, 10:51
Don't touch server settings. These are global and will affect all players. Keep the FLAC - FLAC (built-in) box checked.

When you play a stream over Wwinamp, you should see a new player identified by IP address first. Then go to that player in Player Settings - Audio.

If you have LAME installed it will automatically convert *all* file formats to MP3 for a stream player like Winamp. All you have to do is specify the bitrate and the quality setting. Beware, a quality setting of 0 can kick the crap out of a really powerful server.

agbagb
2006-08-18, 11:06
Right. But when I'm sending the same source FLAC file to Squeezebox and to Winamp - each a separate player - am I hearing FLAC from Squeezebox and MP3 from Winamp?

Or is Slimserver now sending the data as MP3 to *both* players, because the FLAC -> MP3 box is checked in SERVER SETTINGS, as well as the FLAC -> FLAC box?

radish
2006-08-18, 11:30
Right. But when I'm sending the same source FLAC file to Squeezebox and to Winamp - each a separate player - am I hearing FLAC from Squeezebox and MP3 from Winamp?

Yes.

Each player has a list of formats it supports, in order of preference. The server sends the best it can to each player. So your SB3 asks for "FLAC or PCM or MP3 or WMA" and gets given FLAC, and the Winamp connection asks for "MP3 only" and gets that. The server is quite capable of sending different formats to different players. The only thing to be sure of, as Mark mentioned, is that you don't disable the default settings in the file types config, as if you disable flac->flac it obviously won't be able to send FLAC to your SB3 as much as it might want to.

Veggen
2006-08-18, 11:32
I setup remote streaming yesterday and was worried about the same thing, but it works just fine.
Your stream to winamp will appear as a separate player as mentioned above. The settings are done induvidually for each player, under Player settings/Audio. For the SB make sure you have no limit set, then SS will send any format in its original state, FLAC or whatever to the SB.
This is explained in the text next to the drop down box.

agbagb
2006-08-18, 12:25
Many thanks guys. One more question:

I have the FLAC Input plug-in enable in Winamp; and so Winamp will play FLAC files as FLAC direct from my hard-drive. But I seem only able to stream from Slimserver to Winamp in on-the-fly converted MP3. That's no big deal at all - but should a Winamp with the PLAC plug-in be able to pull FLAC as FLAC from Slimserver? [I appreaciate that, even if it could, bandwith / bitrate will be a horrible issue].

TBTW, te real problem I'm having with streaming is to do with Internet Radio, but I'll open that in a new thread.

AGB

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-18, 12:27
I have the FLAC Input plug-in enable in Winamp; and so Winamp will play FLAC files as FLAC direct from my hard-drive. But I seem only able to stream from Slimserver to Winamp in on-the-fly converted MP3. That's no big deal at all - but should a Winamp with the PLAC plug-in be able to pull FLAC as FLAC from Slimserver? [I appreaciate that, even if it could, bandwith / bitrate will be a horrible issue].

No, stream playing from SlimServer to any client other than a Squeezebox or Softsqueeze is always in MP3. It will always convert.

Also I'm not 100% sure FLAC can be streamed.

kdf
2006-08-18, 12:39
Quoting Mark Lanctot
<Mark.Lanctot.2cr37z1155929401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> agbagb Wrote:
>> I have the FLAC Input plug-in enable in Winamp; and so Winamp will play
>> FLAC files as FLAC direct from my hard-drive. But I seem only able to
>> stream from Slimserver to Winamp in on-the-fly converted MP3. That's
>> no big deal at all - but should a Winamp with the PLAC plug-in be able
>> to pull FLAC as FLAC from Slimserver? [I appreaciate that, even if it
>> could, bandwith / bitrate will be a horrible issue].
>
> No, stream playing from SlimServer to any client other than a
> Squeezebox or Softsqueeze is always in MP3. It will always convert.
>
> Also I'm not 100% sure FLAC can be streamed.
>
From slimserver, it cannot. The stream url is stream.mp3 for a
reason. When the server sees a connection over http using that url,
it creates an "http-type" client. This client is flagged as only
supporting MP3. Perhaps soemtime in the future that may change.
There are a couple of enhancements filed to have that, but as you can
imagine, it isn't the top priority.
-kdf