PDA

View Full Version : splitList: "/"?

windowshade
2006-08-16, 19:40
Is it possible to use a forward slash to split "MULTIPLE ITEMS IN TAGS"? I can't seem to make it work. Do I need to escape it somehow? (WMP uses a forward slash, and I'd like to keep my tagging compatible with other apps when possible.)

Actually, I'd really like to use multiple tags a la vorbis, but that's probably out of spec and thus unsupported.

Michaelwagner
2006-08-16, 20:19
From the wiki:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToTagging

Multiple Tags for genre / artist
There are 2 ways to add multiple genre tags to a file (for instance Rock and Hard Rock).

The first is to use a tool like foobar2000 to add multiple tags. By specifying genre = "rock\hard rock", foobar2000 will add multiple genre tags to the file (you must use backslashes, no spaces between labels). The current version of foobar2000 (v0.9.1) only seems to support multiple tags when editing two or more files at a time. This approach works for any tag (Genre, Artist, etc) but is probably only recommended for Genre and Artist.

The second is to set both genres on the same tag (genre=rock;hard rock). Then configure slimserver under server-settings / Behaviour / Multiple Items in Tags with a semicolon.

windowshade
2006-08-16, 20:43
Thanks for the reply. My first post was pretty vague and needs clarification. (The answer is not in the wiki, or in the forums as far as I can search.)

I already use foobar2000 for tagging. Wherever I can, I use multiple tags: this works in FLAC and in GENRE in MP3s. However, multiple ARTIST tags in MP3S (ID3v2.4) aren't read by SlimServer, so I use the 'MULTIPLE ITEMS IN TAGS' feature, aka splitList. I use a semicolon to split multiple artists in ID3 tags. Recently, though, foobar switched from '\' to ';' for splitting multiple tags, which means I need a different splitList parameter...

So: can I use '/' in the splitList? If so, how?

Edit: clarification--see below.

windowshade
2006-08-16, 23:07
Okay, nevermind... it works if '/' is the only character in the list. (hmmmm. bug?)

geoffb
2006-08-17, 06:40
On 8/16/06, windowshade wrote:
>
> Thanks for the reply. My first post was pretty vague and needs
> clarification. (The answer is not in the wiki, or in the forums as far
> as I can search.)
>
> I already use foobar2000 for tagging. Wherever I can, I use multiple
> tags: this works in FLAC and in GENRE in MP3s. However, multiple ARTIST
> tags in MP3S (ID3v2.4) aren't read, so I use the 'MULTIPLE ITEMS IN
> TAGS' feature, aka splitList. I use a semicolon to split multiple
> artists in ID3 tags. Recently, though, foobar switched from '\' to ';'
> for splitting multiple tags, which means I need a different splitList
> parameter...

Do you mean that multiple artists aren't read by foobar2000, or they
aren't read by SlimServer? If the answer is SS, I would think this is
a bug that should definitely be logged.
If the answer is foobar2000, you might want to try MP3Tag; this lets
you set multiple genres/artist tags using the artist1\\artist2 format.
Cheers
Geoff

windowshade
2006-08-17, 07:03
Only the first ARTIST from an ID3 tag containing multiple ARTIST tags is read by SlimServer. Perhaps I'll run this one by support and find out if that's intended behaviour...

dip
2006-08-18, 00:40
Only the first ARTIST from an ID3 tag containing multiple ARTIST tags is read by SlimServer. Perhaps I'll run this one by support and find out if that's intended behaviour...
I use multiple artists in the ARTIST tag for vorbis and flac files with & as separator and this works with slimserver 6.3.1 (and worked also with previous versions). I think it should also work with mp3 files.

geoffb
2006-08-18, 06:21
On 8/18/06, dip wrote:
>
> windowshade Wrote:
> > Only the first ARTIST from an ID3 tag containing multiple ARTIST tags is
> > read by SlimServer. Perhaps I'll run this one by support and find out if
> > that's intended behaviour...
> I use multiple artists in the ARTIST tag for vorbis and flac files with
> & as separator and this works with slimserver 6.3.1 (and worked also
> with previous versions). I think it should also work with mp3 files.

I do the same thing, although I switched and retagged from '&' to ';'
because there were just too many artists that have an ampersand as
part of their group name. The semi-colon works well.
I'd be curious to know whether it's intended that multiple ARTIST tag
instances should work though; this would be a tidier solution.

Cheers
Geoff

Michaelwagner
2006-08-18, 07:10
The MP3 code is actually separate from the vorbis code in Slim, so it's possible something works in one and not the other.

It's been most of a year since I poked around much in that code.

I do seem to recall that the multiple tag extension didn't work for all tags, but it did seem like the intention was for it to work for all the places where it made sense (i.e. you can't tag multiple years or multiple record labels but you can tag multiple artists, genres, etc).

You might indeed want to take it up with support.

Sorry I don't have enough time on my hands right now to research it myself and help out.

geoffb
2006-08-18, 07:23
On 8/18/06, Michaelwagner
<Michaelwagner.2cqomz1155910501 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> The MP3 code is actually separate from the vorbis code in Slim, so it's
> possible something works in one and not the other.
>
> It's been most of a year since I poked around much in that code.
>
> I do seem to recall that the multiple tag extension didn't work for all
> tags, but it did seem like the intention was for it to work for all the
> places where it made sense (i.e. you can't tag multiple years or
> multiple record labels but you can tag multiple artists, genres, etc).
>
> You might indeed want to take it up with support.
>
> Sorry I don't have enough time on my hands right now to research it
> myself and help out.

The OP posted this question on the beta list, and it sounds like the
upshot is that SS doesn't support multiple ARTIST tag instances, just
GENRE. The separator works well as an alternative, so no probs in the
meantime.
Cheers
Geoff

Brian Ritchie
2006-10-10, 17:09
I've been browsing to try to find the answer to this, but remain none the wiser: could someone explain to me how the MULTIPLE ITEMS IN TAGS box in the SS Settings/Behaviour page is supposed to work? (I'm running a recent 6.5.1 nightly.)

The description on the page ("If SlimServer finds any of the words or characters below in your tags, it will create individual listings for each item") leads me to believe that if I set it to "/;" (without the quotes), then SS will split whenever it finds a "/" *or* a ";" in a tag. So for example, files with Artist set to "Andersen / Tsabropoulos / Christensen" would be listed under each of the three artists, and so would "Andersen; Tsabropoulos; Christensen". However, I've just tried this, and it didn't work (at least, not for "/"-separated artists). Since each change induces an aeons-long rescan, I'm rather loathe to experiment! (When I was using 6.2.2, I think that "/" on its own worked OK, so I suppose I could try that again. One snag with upgrading SS is having to recreate my settings from memory - or remembering to make notes first...)

Am I allowed multiple alternative separators, or is the string being treated as a single separator? If I were to put "Spice Girls" in the box, would that ban them from my collection? (I can but hope! But I fear that it might do strange things to anything with either Spice or Girls in it.) Are there any secret reserved characters, of which "/" happens to be one?

-- Brian

Schindler
2006-12-28, 00:42
If I do only set "/" and after the rescan set a ";" it seems to work. But only if I change somethin in that option field. Is this already listed as a bug? As I understand more than one separator should/could be entered there...

christian