PDA

View Full Version : Will Slimserver work with re-tagging?

dnighorn
2006-08-16, 09:31
In a nutshell, if I re-tag my music files, will Slimserver be able to re-scan and show the new tags?

I ripped all of my music with iTunes into Apple Lossless. At the time, I was pretty new to this and didn't realize the importance of paying attention to the tags. Now I do.

What I would like to do is go back into iTunes and update my tags now that I know what I am doing. Once this is finished, can I re-scan my library with Slimserver and have the new tags show up?

Thanks for the help!

David

gerph
2006-08-16, 12:00
In a nutshell, if I re-tag my music files, will Slimserver be able to re-scan and show the new tags?

I ripped all of my music with iTunes into Apple Lossless. At the time, I was pretty new to this and didn't realize the importance of paying attention to the tags. Now I do.

What I would like to do is go back into iTunes and update my tags now that I know what I am doing. Once this is finished, can I re-scan my library with Slimserver and have the new tags show up?

Thanks for the help!

David

Short answer, 'yes'.

Not much longer answer... you have to tell the server to rescan and you can choose to use the 'look for new and changed music' or the 'clean and rescan' options. In the former 'changed' is what you've done to the files, so it'll take account of that and update the details appropriately.

Use the 'clean and rescan' when you want to say 'forget all the music I have and update from scratch', and 'look for new and changed' when you want to say 'I've just changed a few things - notice them, please'.

funkstar
2006-08-16, 14:38
One thing to note though, if the tagging software doesn't change the time stamp on the files, slimserver won't realise that the file has changed. If thats the case you need to get it to forget everything and completely re-scan.

I use Tag&Rename and it has an option to change the modified time stamp or not (i have it set to not change the time stam, because i don't want it effecting the Browse New Music option which i use all the time).

dnighorn
2006-08-16, 16:09
Does Tag&Rename work with Apple Lossless files? As I understand, these tags are different from those used on MP3 files.

David

funkstar
2006-08-17, 03:24
Well it works with MP4 and M4A files. don't know about ALAC files specifically, i use FLAC.

geoffb
2006-08-17, 06:24
On 8/16/06, dnighorn wrote:
>
> Does Tag&Rename work with Apple Lossless files? As I understand, these
> tags are different from those used on MP3 files.

If your tagging software doesn't support updating the modifed
date/time, AND you're on Windows, you could use one of these:
FileTouch:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1654707,00.asp
NirCmd:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html

I've used both, and they work very well.
Cheers
Geoff