PDA

View Full Version : slimserver hijacks current ie page

swet
2006-08-15, 09:55
Does anybody know if its possible or easy to cause slimserver to open in a new IE instance. Its a real pain if you're browsing something in IE and having it overwritten when launching slimserver????

Regards

Ed

radish
2006-08-15, 10:08
In IE go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and deselect "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts".

SlimPvC
2006-08-15, 12:37
In IE go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and deselect "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts".

Thanks for this tip!
I had experienced this behaviour but never bothered to ask/check out myself. But now you bring this up I'm glad i have read this tip!
Bye
Peter

defnk
2006-08-15, 17:15
Thanks for this tip!
I had experienced this behaviour but never bothered to ask/check out myself. But now you bring this up I'm glad i have read this tip!
Bye
Peter

Hehe, me too!

MrSinatra
2006-08-15, 17:30
but what if you only want SS to stop doing that?

sometimes i want IE to reuse a window.

Michaelwagner
2006-08-15, 17:49
It isn't SS doing it and SS doesn't have any options.

The URL is handed over to a system service, the "handle this URL" service, if you will.

MrSinatra
2006-08-15, 17:52
well, i can't say i know the ins and outs of it...

but when i have no IE windows open, and i click the icon, it opens an IE window for me.

if one is open, it "steals it."

but there are ways to design links to open in new windows. is that not possible from the desktop?

Michaelwagner
2006-08-15, 18:28
I don't know if there are other services that work differently. I didn't write the code. I do know that this service behaves this way, and the place to change it is in the IE code options.

radish
2006-08-15, 20:44
but what if you only want SS to stop doing that?

sometimes i want IE to reuse a window.
SS isn't doing anything, as Michael says, it's IE deciding whether or not to reuse the window. If you don't like it, complain to MS or use a different browser that gives you more control.

but there are ways to design links to open in new windows. is that not possible from the desktop?
Short answer - no. Long answer - there are ways of doing it but they're a pain, they're unreliable, and they vary from browser to browser. Seeing as SS supports many browsers on many platforms, I can see why they do things the easy way.