PDA

View Full Version : New Here-a Few Questions Please

NY2006
2006-08-14, 20:40
I decided to order Squezebox today...looking forward to the many features available...A few questions, I read Squeeze supports Rhapsody as well as other services. I was wondering if
Squeezebox will work with Major League Baseball network game audio MLB ? Also is there a general access with Squeeze for various AM-FM radio streams ? I mean can you access say all Chicago radio stations by browsing or searching with Squezebox ? I would like to access many radio stations from Canada. How does Squezebox work with XM Radio ?
Last but not least can I use the remote by bedside to search for AM-FM radio streams ?
Thanks.

stinkingpig
2006-08-14, 20:52
On 8/14/06, NY2006 <NY2006.2ckbgz1155613501 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> I decided to order Squezebox today...looking forward to the many
> features available...A few questions, I read Squeeze supports Rhapsody
> as well as other services. I was wondering if
> Squeezebox will work with Major League Baseball network game audio MLB
> ? Also is there a general access with Squeeze for various AM-FM radio
> streams ? I mean can you access say all Chicago radio stations by
> browsing or searching with Squezebox ? I would like to access many
> radio stations from Canada. How does Squezebox work with XM Radio ?
> Last but not least can I use the remote by bedside to search for AM-FM
> radio streams ?
> Thanks.
>
>
>
MLB specifically prohibits this working.

AM/FM is not supported. There are some plugins/howtos to integrate a TV
Tuner in the server box, but it's all very OS and hardware dependent.

Internet radio works somewhat as you've suggested, if you've got the right
plugin for the type of radio you want. For instance AlienBBC provides BBC
and many other radio stations, while many other shows can be reached using
OPML or PublicRadioFan. Lastly, if you can find the right stream URL, you
can easily put it into the web interface and save it as a playlist.

Apart from the "tune in this URL", it's all do-able with the handheld
remote.
--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

NY2006
2006-08-14, 21:03
I see...does various programs like vTuner and Replay Radio or Replay Music work with Squeezebox ? I'm trying to understand exactly how Squeezebox works on the server..does my PC need to be on in order for mp3s to access them or does this work though the wireless network ? The reason I decided to order not knowing so many questions is because they offer the 30 days return if not satisfied.

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-14, 21:04
I'm not an expert on streaming radio but I do read the forums a lot. :-)

I decided to order Squezebox today...looking forward to the many features available...A few questions, I read Squeeze supports Rhapsody as well as other services. I was wondering if
Squeezebox will work with Major League Baseball network game audio MLB ?

I remember reading that MLB audio is highly protected and won't play on a Squeezebox.

Also is there a general access with Squeeze for various AM-FM radio streams ? I mean can you access say all Chicago radio stations by browsing or searching with Squezebox ?

The Squeezebox is a server/Internet client, so to access a stream it must first be on the Internet. Most radio stations do have streams now, but not all.

Slim Devices has organized some streams by city/region but it's not definitive. Look here: http://www.radio-locator.com/ for a list of all licensed stations in an area. Often there will be a link to their website or you can search for it.

I would like to access many radio stations from Canada.

Streams from around the world work well for me from London, Ontario. Keep in mind these are low-bandwidth streams, 128 kbps or less, so they fly across the network pretty easily.

How does Squezebox work with XM Radio ?

No plugin for XM yet. Forum member GoCubs has made a Sirius plugin. Obviously you have to be a Sirius subscriber to use it - the plugin uses your user name/password to access Sirius' Internet streams.

Last but not least can I use the remote by bedside to search for AM-FM radio streams ?
Thanks.

They've got to be on the Internet. Actually it's not possible to enter a URL directly using the remote. You can browse lists that Slim Devices have pre-arranged. You can also add streams beforehand to your Favorites or a playlist from the web interface.

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-14, 21:13
I see...does various programs like vTuner and Replay Radio or Replay Music work with Squeezebox ?

Never heard of them...don't think so.

I'm trying to understand exactly how Squeezebox works on the server..does my PC need to be on in order for mp3s to access them or does this work though the wireless network ?

SlimServer - Squeezebox is a client - server interface. The Squeezebox is just a dumb (uhh, "Slim") client that contains a wireless card and audio hardware. All the functionality is provided by the server, so if you want to play MP3s from your hard drive, yes, your computer must be on.

There's an Internet-accessible server, SqueezeNetwork, that will allow you to play Internet streams without having to keep your computer on. Unfortunately, being on the Internet, it can't play *your* MP3s, but they're working on that. SqueezeNetwork is chainging pretty quickly.

NY2006
2006-08-14, 21:13
"The Squeezebox is a server/Internet client, so to access a stream it must first be on the Internet. Most radio stations do have streams now, but not all.

Slim Devices has organized some streams by city/region but it's not definitive. Look here: http://www.radio-locator.com/ for a list of all licensed stations in an area. Often there will be a link to their website or you can search for it."

Oh I see...i was referring to actual radio stations that do stream..so in other words they can all be access by putting in their URL but cannot be displayed in a certain area say for Montreal radio stations that stream.

"No plugin for XM yet. Forum member GoCubs has made a Sirius plugin. Obviously you have to be a Sirius subscriber to use it - the plugin uses your user name/password to access Sirius' Internet streams."

Sounds like their are lots of upgrades here...
Thanks again for the info.

NY2006
2006-08-14, 21:22
"SlimServer - Squeezebox is a client - server interface. The Squeezebox is just a dumb (uhh, "Slim") client that contains a wireless card and audio hardware. All the functionality is provided by the server, so if you want to play MP3s from your hard drive, yes, your computer must be on."

Oh I see...well at least radio streams can be played...one other question how mobile is the Squezebox ? I realize it requires stereo speakers to work but can I move the Squezebox in another room say with Headphones instead of hooking it up to a stereo ?

"There's an Internet-accessible server, SqueezeNetwork, that will allow you to play Internet streams without having to keep your computer on. Unfortunately, being on the Internet, it can't play *your* MP3s, but they're working on that. SqueezeNetwork is chainging pretty quickly."

I read about the SqueezeNetwork" sounds very interesting...i tried to setup account with Pandora but it required my Squeezebox name and pin so I thought it was best to wait until I setup my Squeezebox.

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-14, 21:34
Oh I see...i was referring to actual radio stations that do stream..so in other words they can all be access by putting in their URL

I should have put a limitation - not all formats can be played back. Out of the box, the player can play back MP3 and WMA streams. There's a beta version (SlimServer 6.5) that will support Ogg.

Other formats (i.e. RealAudio) can be played back with a plugin called AlienBBC.

but cannot be displayed in a certain area say for Montreal radio stations that stream.

They do organize by region. I thought at one time there were a few Canadian stations listed. There are none there now but they rotate them, they might appear later.

Of course you can always add your own, I'm only referring to the pre-arranged lists you can access from the Squeezebox interface. Once you add your own via Favorites or playlists, it's as easy to access as those ones.

Oh I see...well at least radio streams can be played...one other question how mobile is the Squezebox ? I realize it requires stereo speakers to work but can I move the Squezebox in another room say with Headphones instead of hooking it up to a stereo ?

That's the beauty of the wireless model, if you can get a wi-fi signal to the room you can use a Squeezebox there.

I read about the SqueezeNetwork" sounds very interesting...i tried to setup account with Pandora but it required my Squeezebox name and pin so I thought it was best to wait until I setup my Squeezebox.

You know you can download SlimServer right now and use a software emulation of the Squeezebox, Softsqueeze? All for free. Try it out, you'll need to set up SlimServer anyway, and it'll allow you to organize your music collection and get used to the SlimServer and Squeezebox interface.

I'm not sure if Softsqueeze will allow you to access Pandora streams but you should be able access SqueezeNetwork from it. You'll need a PIN, I believe Softsqueeze will supply one for you.

NY2006
2006-08-14, 21:47
"You know you can download SlimServer right now and use a software emulation of the Squeezebox, Softsqueeze? All for free. Try it out, you'll need to set up SlimServer anyway, and it'll allow you to organize your music collection and get used to the SlimServer and Squeezebox interface.

I'm not sure if Softsqueeze will allow you to access Pandora streams but you should be able access SqueezeNetwork from it. You'll need a PIN, I believe Softsqueeze will supply one for you."

Thanks I actually already installed Slimserver beta edition...
I recently reinstalled Windows XP so don't have much mp3s on my harddrive. I will need to get all media once I connect Squeezebox in a few days. How fast do they ship out ? I selected 2 day delivery so I should get Squeezebox before the end of the week.

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-14, 21:49
Thanks I actually already installed Slimserver beta edition...
I recently reinstalled Windows XP so don't have much mp3s on my harddrive. I will need to get all media once I connect Squeezebox in a few days. How fast do they ship out ? I selected 2 day delivery so I should get Squeezebox before the end of the week.

Got my first one in 18 hours!

NY2006
2006-08-15, 05:25
"Got my first one in 18 hours!"

I'm in the east coast it might take a little longer to arrive...

I tried to open Live365 from the Slimserver but get a message
"mot logged in" When I try to click on "log in" nothing happens.
I even opened Internet Explorer and login to my Live365.
Do I need to wait for Aqueezebox before I can access Live365 from the Slimserver ? thanks.

fuzzyT
2006-08-15, 10:50
Mark Lanctot wrote:

> I remember reading that MLB audio is highly protected and won't play on
> a Squeezebox.

The MLB streaming audio service is resistant to be hijacked for ad-hoc
delivery to a Squeezebox. But, there are those among us who hope that
SlimDevices can swing a deal with the MLB to allow for a service that
works similarly to Pandora. It may be too late this year, but perhaps
something will be ready for next season.

See:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3280

> Slim Devices has organized some streams by city/region but it's not
> definitive. Look here: http://www.radio-locator.com/ for a list of all
> licensed stations in an area. Often there will be a link to their
> website or you can search for it.

A location based search tool for terrestrial based streams would make a
fantastic addition to the SqueezeNetwork. Think GoogleMaps hack wired
up to a directory of stations. See map. Click for station deals.
Click to add to SN favorites.

--rt

fuzzyT
2006-08-15, 11:08
ron thigpen wrote:

> A location based search tool for terrestrial based streams would make a
> fantastic addition to the SqueezeNetwork. Think GoogleMaps hack wired
> up to a directory of stations. See map. Click for station deals. Click
> to add to SN favorites.

In fact, I like that idea enough to file an enhancement request.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3924

--rt

andy_c
2006-08-15, 11:45
I tried to open Live365 from the Slimserver but get a message"mot logged in" When I try to click on "log in" nothing happens. I even opened Internet Explorer and login to my Live365. Do I need to wait for Aqueezebox before I can access Live365 from the Slimserver ? thanks.

In SlimServer on the left, under "Settings", click "Server Settings". At the top left of the new page, click "Internet Radio". Scroll down to where it says "Live365 Internet Radio". There you can enter your Live365 user name and password. Once that info is entered, you should be able to log in to Live365.

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-15, 13:00
ron thigpen wrote:

> A location based search tool for terrestrial based streams would make a
> fantastic addition to the SqueezeNetwork. Think GoogleMaps hack wired
> up to a directory of stations. See map. Click for station deals. Click
> to add to SN favorites.

In fact, I like that idea enough to file an enhancement request.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3924

--rt

I agree, that's a good idea. Added my vote.

NY2006
2006-08-15, 13:00
Thanks I have it working now...I was using the beta edition of Squeezebox that didn't show this...I uninstalled and installed the regular edition software to get it working...

I won't be able to play any Live365 from Slimserver until I get my Squeezebox, is this right ? Thanks.

andy_c
2006-08-15, 13:59
I won't be able to play any Live365 from Slimserver until I get my Squeezebox, is this right ?

If you install the SoftSqueeze software, it will act like a software virtual Squeezebox, which should allow you to use SlimServer to play Live365 through the speakers hooked up to your sound card. I just tried this, and it's working fine for ShoutCast stations.