PDA

View Full Version : Windows PDA as a remote

Plano_Mike
2006-08-13, 09:15
In a recent thread regarding the Transporter fuzzyT indicated that a Windows PDA could provide richer remote control capabilities for the SB.

Responding to some of what Sanjay wrote:
[color=blue]

I would love to see a richer remote. For now, the Nokia 770 or a
Windows PDA is a good option.

Could folks using PDAs please elaborate...Are you using the standard web interface with skins? Separate apps for controlling the SB on the PDA? Other options?

Thanks,

Mike

mherger
2006-08-13, 09:38
> Could folks using PDAs please elaborate...Are you using the standard
> web interface with skins? Separate apps for controlling the SB on the
> PDA? Other options?

There's the Handheld skin - optimized for small screens. And there are 3rd
party applications available to control Slimserver to a certain degree
(http://www.herger.net/SlimRemote,
http://www.telcanto.com/description_slimclient.htm).

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Mark Teigen
2006-08-13, 15:18
Check out Telcnato.... Its not free but it's a GREAT product. I use it with
my Bluetooth IPAQ 4355.

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of Plano_Mike
Sent: Sunday, August 13, 2006 9:16 AM
To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
Subject: [slim] Windows PDA as a remote

In a recent thread regarding the Transporter fuzzyT indicated that a
Windows PDA could provide richer remote control capabilities for the
SB.

fuzzyT Wrote:
> Responding to some of what Sanjay wrote:
> [color=blue]
>
> I would love to see a richer remote. For now, the Nokia 770 or a
> Windows PDA is a good option.

Could folks using PDAs please elaborate...Are you using the standard
web interface with skins? Separate apps for controlling the SB on the
PDA? Other options?

Thanks,

Mike

--
Plano_Mike
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Plano_Mike's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=5437
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=26347

Dave
2006-08-14, 10:32
I'm using a skin called 'v'. It's not included in Slimserver, however if you search for it on the forums you will find it. I wrote it myself (or actualy rewrote the nbmu-skin). I find it better than the standard handheld skin because it uses two panes. It has (like handheld) musicmagic support. I wrote it for 5.x, but now I'm on the latest 6.2 and it's still working (don't know about 6.5; but I fear it won't work).

BTW: here's the link http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18770

CarlOtto
2006-08-14, 10:49
Hi Forum!

I'm using a HP IPaq 1950 as remote control, currently with the Handheld skin which works well.

Pro's:
1) Pictures - I can see the cover art - I love that!
2) Quicker searches, better overview - especially when looking at a long playlists etc.
3) Eliminates Squeezebox completely in my case since I use a pro soundcard as transport.

Con's (using web interface):
1) A little slow when moving between screens. Navigating on a PC is much faster as a comparison.
2) To save battery, I turn it off once I've navigated and start to listen. The back side to that is that it takes about 30 seconds to find the WiFi again once turned on so it is slow to just change track. I can of course leave it on but then I need to charge it more often.
3) Fairly small letters to read if you want enough on the screen.
4) No progress bar, haven't figured out how to fast forward etc

I have tried the Nokia 770 skin, that is very nice looking. It doesn't work well on the IPaq though. With the built in IE browser it just doesn't work. With Opera for handhelds instead, it does - but Opera is hopelessly slow and especially in updating the progress bar. It just cannot be used. Building a playlist from "New Music" doesn't work - when clicking on the +signs, nothing happens (same on a normal PC).

The "Touch" skin is slightly better but there are also things that won't work. I wonder if this one was the one lacking "New Music" maybe (can't remember).

The Slimremote is interesting, it could be just the thing to have with a handheld. In my case though, I rely heavily on "Browse Music Folder" and "New Music", none of which seem to be available in SlimRemote (yet...). If you don't need these though, it could be just the thing to try out.

TelCanto seems to lack these things as well (from reading on their website). I can't find out for sure since I refuse to pay for a program only to find out it doesn't work.

It seems that Slimremote as well as TelCanto (and Moose etc) are all geared towards the Rock and Pop music listener where 1 Album = 1 CD and the Artist is the only interesting person on the Album.

The problem is if your collection is classical music, then it makes more sense to code:
1 Album = 1 Work (so Symphony no X by Y is 1 album) which means there will be several Albums on one CD. Furthermore, just having Artist isn't enough, we really need Composer, Conductor, Orchestra and ... Artist(-s). So browsing by Album works - but sometimes I want to listen to the whole original CD and I haven't figured out how to do that with something like SlimRemote (in its present state - but I hope it will evolve).

jimdibb
2006-08-14, 11:56
You should be able to try TelCanto for free. I did. (30 day trial)

On 8/14/06, CarlOtto <CarlOtto.2cjjxb1155577801 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
>
> TelCanto seems to lack these things as well (from reading on their
> website). I can't find out for sure since I refuse to pay for a program
> only to find out it doesn't work.
>
> It seems that Slimremote as well as TelCanto (and Moose etc) are all
> geared towards the Rock and Pop music listener where 1 Album = 1 CD and
> the Artist is the only interesting person on the Album.
>
> The problem is if your collection is classical music, then it makes
> more sense to code:
> 1 Album = 1 Work (so Symphony no X by Y is 1 album) which means there
> will be several Albums on one CD. Furthermore, just having Artist isn't
> enough, we really need Composer, Conductor, Orchestra and ...
> Artist(-s). So browsing by Album works - but sometimes I want to listen
> to the whole original CD and I haven't figured out how to do that with
> something like SlimRemote (in its present state - but I hope it will
> evolve).
>
>
>

CarlOtto
2006-08-15, 11:36
Thanks for that, didn't see their 30-day trial. It also seems as if it actually has both "Browse Folder" and "New Music".

OK; I've tried it. I downloaded the beta version 1.5.1 (because it reportedly added support for BBC and I rely on that as well).

Got it onto the IPAQ 1950 but it didn't work very well. It showed me the artists list ok, the genre list ok but other tabs (new music, folder) showed only a grey screen. I tried to play something from the "Artists" view, it started it ok on the server but showed me no artwork or progress.

It kept flashing the "connection" icon as if it couldn't contact the server - but it did come up with the artists list.

I suspect that Telcanto might be a memory guzzler (because they say the take a while to get the list of things FIRST TIME, then quicker). Now if that's the case - it won't work for me since I have only the standard amount of memory and no plans to purchase more. Or maybe it was the beta thing...

Anyway, good fortune I didn't pay for it this time. Once they get it to work ok, it may be a good program though.