PDA

View Full Version : Recording Radio Streams

Tristan
2006-08-12, 13:52
Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is a plugin or an additional program that will allow me to record radio that I'm listening to through a squeezbox on the PC which my slim server is running on. Or a work around. I would want to add the recorded file to my music folder for replaying through the squeezebox again later

I downloaded a peice of software that said it would record any streams coming into my PC but it doesn't seem to like it when slimserver is running.

I'd be very grateful for any ideas you may have.

Thanks

Tristan

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-12, 14:11
SlimServer transmits audio over TCP/IP using the SlimProto protocol. Other programs don't know how to read this, and no plugins exist to record this. (In fact, it may be illegal to do so for protected streams like Rhapsody and Pandora).

If you want to record something, play it back in any player that outputs sound to your computer speakers - there are programs that will record that sound.

Tristan
2006-08-12, 14:21
Thanks.

I thought that might be the case. I'm aware of legal issues and would not be using it for Pandora ect.

The server I'm using to stream slimserver from has no audio capabilities Hence thee problem. I also have my squeezeboxes playing most of the time. I don't really want to be turning my server off just to listen to silence whilst recording things I can't hear.

Any one else guys? Come on your're a clever lot ;)

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-12, 14:24
Do you have a soundcard with a line in? Because, well, the Squeezebox has line out! ;-)

Tristan
2006-08-12, 14:32
Well observed ;)

The server is in the basement. My setups are some considerable distance away..and wireless. Hmmm And also it's a small dell propriety thang that I coudn't fit a decent sound card in.

Hang on though I could string the sound out to the input on my laptop im typing this from coudn't I and then transfer the file to the server?

Good work fella. its a start, but not neat and ideal. I shall try it. Aany more for anymore?

Thanks

-T

PS: Now where's that audio cable....? And what quality will I get...

Tristan
2006-08-12, 14:35
"SlimServer transmits audio over TCP/IP using the SlimProto protocol. Other programs don't know how to read this, and no plugins exist to record this"

Does any one want a commision to write one?

-T

PS: Apologies if to do so would be a breach of licence. I'm not aware if it is or not.

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-12, 14:50
Does any one want a commision to write one?

-T

PS: Apologies if to do so would be a breach of licence. I'm not aware if it is or not.

I don't think it would be, SlimProto and SlimServer are both open-source.

I don't have the knowledge required though.

Tristan
2006-08-12, 14:59
Anyone wish to get coding?

-T

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-12, 15:01
Hang on though I could string the sound out to the input on my laptop im typing this from coudn't I and then transfer the file to the server?

Yes, and then just record the stream using the application of your choice. Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) can do this, for example, and save to a whole range of file formats.

Regarding the quality, unfortunately, this will vary quite a bit. The sound coming in is analog so it will have to be digitized, and this can be done well or very poorly. Since it's analog, it will be susceptible to electrical noise as well. It's also going through Windows' wonderful audio mixer that does all sorts of great things to it. :-P

For a laptop, you can get outboard USB sound cards. The best cards will be PCI cards from professional sound companies like M-Audio - the Delta 44, Audiophile 192 and Audiophile 2496, for example. Some of these cards have digital in, which will eliminate electrical noise as well as the impact of digitizing.

Tristan
2006-08-12, 15:18
Will try it. Due to quality problems a plugin would be best though. I'm sure it will happen as it can't just be my thought.. can it? ;)

Cheers

-T

gregklanderman
2006-08-12, 15:39
>>>>> Tristan <Tristan.2cg73b1155421201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> writes:

> Will try it. Due to quality problems a plugin would be best though. I'm
> sure it will happen as it can't just be my thought.. can it? ;)

I believe the guy that writes SoftSqueeze is developing a new
application to do the low level music playing and network streaming
for a next generation version of SoftSqueeze. Think it's called
Squeezeslave. It might be pretty easy to modify that to just dump the
music stream if that's really what you want.

greg

Mark Miksis
2006-08-12, 15:39
You can probably do this pretty easily with mplayer's -dumpstream option. It won't be integrated with slimserver as you originally requested, but I'm not clear if that's really a requirement for you.

dgpretzel
2006-08-12, 18:06
In fact, it may be illegal to do so...

[slightly OT comment]
The current legal and cultural atmosphere just continues to rub me the wrong way.

Sigh.

How unthinkable it would have been, just 10 years ago, to suggest that it was or should be illegal to record (for personal use) audio or video that was properly, publicly broadcast.
[/slightly OT comment]

Regards,

DG

crapulent
2006-08-12, 19:11
Shut up commie, we are fighting terror! [totally off topic]

On 8/12/06, dgpretzel <
dgpretzel.2cgeyo1155431402 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> > In fact, it may be illegal to do so...
>
>
> [slightly OT comment]
> The current legal and cultural atmosphere just continues to rub me the
> wrong way.
>
> Sigh.
>
> How unthinkable it would have been, just 10 years ago, to suggest that
> it was or should be illegal to record (for personal use) audio or video
> that was properly, publicly broadcast.
> [/slightly OT comment]
>
> Regards,
>
> DG
>
>
> --
> dgpretzel
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> dgpretzel's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2714
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=26338
>
>

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-12, 19:47
[slightly OT comment]
The current legal and cultural atmosphere just continues to rub me the wrong way.

Sigh.

How unthinkable it would have been, just 10 years ago, to suggest that it was or should be illegal to record (for personal use) audio or video that was properly, publicly broadcast.
[/slightly OT comment]

Regards,

DG

Don't you remember the huge stink the industry made over VCRs when they first came out? They were going to lead to the end of TV and Hollywood!

They've been wanting to do this for a long time and now have both the laws and the technology to do so.

I don't totally agree with it, but not only did I not vote for the people that put this through, I don't even live in the same country they do...

bmccall
2006-08-12, 20:45
I purchased total recorder - http://www.highcriteria.com/ - in order to convert my vinyl record collection to Ogg. I have also recorded radio streams using slimserver. You might give it a try!

Ben

exolon
2006-08-13, 14:16
Does anyone know if there is a plugin or an additional program that will allow me to record radio that I'm listening to through a squeezbox on the PC which my slim server is running on. Or a work around. I would want to add the recorded file to my music folder for replaying through the squeezebox again later
Tristan

You can point a normal web download utility like Curl or Wget to the slimserver stream address to save the stream, like

wget -O mystream.mp3 http://username:passwd@localhost:9000/stream.mp3

and just ctrl-c it when you have recorded enough. You can try the link first in a media player to make sure it works - slimserver will detect it as a new player, if you've only accessed it through a normal squeezebox before, and you have to enter the slimserver UI to enable the radio playback on the "new" player.

Pale Blue Ego
2006-08-13, 20:23
http://www.screamer-radio.com/

It's a Windows program that can capture internet radio streams and save each song as a separate file.

There's also a console version.

If you wanted to get fancy, you could probably leave Screamer running 24/7, and set up a script triggered from the SB remote to put Screamer into record mode when a good song comes on.

dgpretzel
2006-08-13, 23:51
Don't you remember the huge stink the industry made over VCRs when they first came out? They were going to lead to the end of TV and Hollywood!

Yes, that was in the '80s. Ultimately the Supreme Court (the Sony case) halted the industry power grab, and things were seemingly settled. But, it came back.

Sort of reminds me of that cat song that Raffi, the Canadian singer (for children), "...They thought he was a gonner, but the cat came back..."

DG