PDA

View Full Version : SSH connection fron Squeezebox to firewall possible?

sbn
2006-08-11, 07:28
Hi

At the dorm where I live, our internet connection requires an open SSH connection to the firewall.

The computers automatically obtains an IP through DHCP but, we're not able to access anything outside our LAN, before opening an SSH connection to the firewall. If I purchase a Squeezebox, I'll therefore need to open such an SSH connection from the IP address of the Squeezebox, in order to connect to the squeeze network and listen to internet radio and so on...

Is that possible, natively or through a plugin?

mherger
2006-08-11, 07:35
> Is that possible, natively or through a plugin?

No, but it has been asked for before:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2661

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

sbn
2006-08-11, 07:48
> Is that possible, natively or through a plugin?

No, but it has been asked for before:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2661

Michael

Okay... Sorry I'm new to this forum...

So it's possible that the feature will come in the next firmware?

EDIT:

I think you got me wrong. I'm not talking about SSH tunnels, but just about a simple SSH connection.
I have a direct connection to the internet, no tunnels, proxies, NAT or anything. But there's a firewall between the local network at the dorm, and the internet.
To allow an IP to access the internet, the firewall requires an open SSH connection from the specific IP. So the SSH thing is only an authentication issue, and the network traffic is not going through the SSH connection.

This is what we have to do, to use the internet:

ssh -T -l username fw1.k-net.dk
ssh -T -l username fw2.k-net.dk

I'm asking if it's possible to do something similiar from the Squeezebox, i.e. to install a kind of SSH client.

Marc Sherman
2006-08-11, 07:52
sbn wrote:
>
> Okay... Sorry I'm new to this forum...
>
> So it's possible that the feature will come in the next firmware?

The target milestone of that bug is set to "future", which makes it very
unlikely.

- Marc

radish
2006-08-11, 08:52
The other thing to remember, of course, is that if you leave a PC running slimserver on then you don't need squeezenetwork and you therefore don't need the ssh connection.

sbn
2006-08-11, 10:50
The other thing to remember, of course, is that if you leave a PC running slimserver on then you don't need squeezenetwork and you therefore don't need the ssh connection.

Okay? This means that the SB streams it's radio and RSS feeds throug the local PC with the slimserver?

Then i have no problem at all :-)

Am I right if I've got the impression of the SB as a rather "dumb" devices, just serving the demands of slimserver?

radish
2006-08-11, 10:56
Okay? This means that the SB streams it's radio and RSS feeds throug the local PC with the slimserver?

Yes. If you use slimserver then it acts as a proxy for streaming radio, so as long as the server can see the outside world it'll work fine. Up until recently my SBs were on a seperate subnet with no internet access at all and radio worked perfectly.

Then i have no problem at all :-)

Excellent :)

Am I right if I've got the impression of the SB as a rather "dumb" devices, just serving the demands of slimserver?
Slim = Dumb :) So yes, it is a very dumb device. All Squeezenetwork is is a big slimserver in the sky that allows some functionality without having to run a local server (which a lot of people don't want to do). When using SN then the SB will stream directly to itself, but when using SS it will connect through that.

Marc Sherman
2006-08-11, 11:01
sbn wrote:
>
> Am I right if I've got the impression of the SB as a rather "dumb"
> devices, just serving the demands of slimserver?

I think the creators would prefer that you called it "slim" rather than
"dumb", but yes. :)

- Marc

sbn
2006-08-11, 11:15
Thanks for the info :-)

My use of the word "dumb" was not intended to offend anybody... In computing terms, a "dumb" devices refers to a terminal-like behaviour, where all logic is contained on a server elsewhere. Just like the SB and the SlimServer :-)

Anyway, you know what I mean...