PDA

View Full Version : Turn radio off when SB is switched off by IR remote?

guardian_de
2006-08-10, 02:29
My SqueezeBox 3 has a wireless connection to the Slimserver. But when I don't listen to music, I don't won't the wireless transmitter to be active all the time.

Is it possible to turn the transmitter off, when the device gets switched off by the IR remote and turn the transmitter back on when the SB is switched on by the remote again?

mherger
2006-08-10, 02:41
> Is it possible to turn the radio off, when the device gets switched off
> by the IR remote and turn the radio on when the SB is switched on by the
> remote again?

I don't quite understand: what radio? When you power off the device
through the remote the stream will not continue.

Or do you mean the wireless network? This won't be turned off unless you
unplug the power cord.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

guardian_de
2006-08-10, 04:17
I don't quite understand: what radio? When you power off the device
through the remote the stream will not continue.

Or do you mean the wireless network? This won't be turned off unless you
unplug the power cord.

Ok, I should have phrased more carefully. With radio I meant the wireless transmitter. I don't want it to transmit all the time, even when I don't listen to music for hours and even days. It is sufficient for me to switch the SB on by IR and not over network.

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-10, 05:56
The wireless networking card is always active as long as there's power unless you switch it to wired networking.

The device never really goes off, it just goes into an idle state.

It has to do this in order to respond to IR remote commands which are passed and processed in the server, in addition to being able to be activated by the web interface.

Any specific reason why you want the wireless module off?

guardian_de
2006-08-10, 10:05
Any specific reason why you want the wireless module off?

I don't want the unit to radiate all the time when it is not needed . Call me hypochondriac.

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-10, 10:12
I don't want the unit to radiate all the time when it is not needed . Call me hypochondriac.

Enable wired networking, unplug it or put it in a metal box.

I do think of things like that, but it's a drop in the bucket as we're all saturated by radio waves that we can't turn off. Cell phones, your wireless router, other wireless cards in PCs, FM, AM, TV, GPS signals, HAM radio, FRS radio, CB radio, pagers, cordless phones, etc. etc. I'm less than 1 km away from a 500 kW radio transmitter - it's so strong my subwoofer will often play it right over its line-level cable. My wired phones pick this up too and my computer speakers play it faintly without them being on.

BTW EM radiation decreases with the square of the distance. This means if you move even a short distance away from an EM radiation source, the radiation you receive decreases dramatically. So just make sure you don't have it under your pillow.

guardian_de
2006-08-10, 10:50
Enable wired networking, unplug it or put it in a metal box.

Nonetheless I think it should be possible to turn the transmitter off by firmware. I would be glad if this behaviour was configurable so that I can choose between keeping the radio on when switched off by IR and not keeping it on.

Maybe the guys at Slimdevices have a heart for hypochondriacs like me...

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-10, 11:02
Nonetheless I think it should be possible to turn the transmitter off by firmware. I would be glad if this behaviour was configurable so that I can choose between keeping the radio on when switched off by IR and not keeping it on.

Again, the issue is that the ON command is processed by the server. The SB needs to be in communication with the server so that the server can turn it on.

If the wireless module is off, the command can't get to the server.

This would require a substantial hardware redesign (the ability to power up in firmware) so it's not likely to happen with the SB3. There's been one request to have a "hard power switch" on the Transporter.

guardian_de
2006-08-10, 11:46
Again, the issue is that the ON command is processed by the server. The SB needs to be in communication with the server so that the server can turn it on.

Just to put that clear: I'm fine with the fact that the SB3 draws ~5W continously because it's always on. What I want is that when I switch it off by IR, the wireless transmitter is powered down. The SB3 stays in standby and waits for the IR to turn it on again. Then the wireless radio is powered on again and the ON command is sent to the server. I think that this behaviour should be possible by firmware update. But maybe I'm plain wrong with my assumptions. My Linksys WRT54GS router for one can power down the wireless radio by software.

m1abrams
2006-08-10, 11:59
Just to put that clear: I'm fine with the fact that the SB3 draws ~5W continously because it's always on. What I want is that when I switch it off by IR, the wireless transmitter is powered down. The SB3 stays in standby and waits for the IR to turn it on again. Then the wireless radio is powered on again and the ON command is sent to the server. I think that this behaviour should be possible by firmware update. But maybe I'm plain wrong with my assumptions. My Linksys WRT54GS router for one can power down the wireless radio by software.

Lets see if I can explain this clearer. The SB would NEVER be able to turn on via IR if it can not talk to the server. So if you turn off the wireless it can not talk to the server and therefor would not be able to be turned on via IR.

SB is very much a dumb client, and the server does most of the work. When you issue a IR command ANY IR command that command gets sent to the server directly and the server issues a command back to the client as to what it should do.

Jacob Potter
2006-08-10, 13:04
On 8/10/06, m1abrams
<m1abrams.2cc8hz1155236401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> SB is very much a dumb client, and the server does most of the work.
> When you issue a IR command ANY IR command that command gets sent to
> the server directly and the server issues a command back to the client
> as to what it should do.

That's not strictly true. The SB does have IR and display handling in
firmware, for the initial setup menus. It's definitely possible to add
support for enabling/disabling the wireless.

- Jacob

m1abrams
2006-08-10, 13:30
You are right I forgot about that.

So ok you could but you would also have to re-establish the net connection with the server. How long would this take? Probably not too long in most cases.

But why go to this trouble? What is so important about disabling a rather weak RF signal. The radiation from just about everything else in the world is stronger. Your cell phone for instance when idle is probably stronger than wifi.

Another question, will you be disabling the access point too when you disable the SB? Because even if it does not have active connections it still sends broadcasts.

guardian_de
2006-08-10, 13:33
Another question, will you be disabling the access point too when you disable the SB? Because even if it does not have active connections it still sends broadcasts.

What broadcasts would that be? An ESSID beacon? Nope, it is disabled on my AP.

m1abrams
2006-08-10, 13:46
What broadcasts would that be? An ESSID beacon? Nope, it is disabled on my AP.
Yes the ESSID. Which I generally recommend to people NOT to disable it. I have run into too many devices that work poorly when the beacon signal is disabled. (portable wifi devices).

Just to be clear. Disabling the beacon does NOTHING for security. Many tools such as airsnort will discover an AP with ESSID beacon disabled.

m1abrams
2006-08-10, 14:17
Oh another thing to note. If you disable the wireless then the SQ will not be able to display the clock when turn "off".