PDA

View Full Version : RoboCopy ... Am I doing it right ?

Deaf Cat
2006-08-09, 13:54
Hiya,

I have made my own command line based very much on a couple that were kindly posted here in other threads - Thank you for helping me find my way :) (I was getting a bit lost).

I have an external drive that refuses to work when pluged into the desk top, luckly it works when pluged into the laptop. I am trying to back up from the desktops hdd to the external pluged into the laptop. I have just been copying manually across from desk to lap, and having experimented with robocopy it would be wonderfull to get it working across the network.

However I am getting:

New Dir 4 M:\Temp\test backup\
New File 4.9 m 01-Guilty-Various-Sat 00 04-Pop 00 04- .wma
2006/08/09 20:41:38 ERROR 64 (0x00000040) Copying File M:\Temp\test backup\01-Guilty-Various-Sat 00 04-Pop 00 04- .wma
The specified network name is no longer available.

Waiting 10 seconds... Retrying...
New File 4.9 m 01-Guilty-Various-Sat 00 04-Pop 00 04- .wma
2006/08/09 20:45:11 ERROR 64 (0x00000040) Copying File M:\Temp\test backup\01-Guilty-Various-Sat 00 04-Pop 00 04- .wma
The specified network name is no longer available.

Waiting 10 seconds... Retrying...

Should I just leave it to chugg along?

"The specified network name is no longer available" bothers me somewhat, hence I stop the thing.

The line I have is:

robocopy /S /IT /Z "M:\temp\test backup" "\\Charlie\Mark\Mark's documents\temp" /xd "system volume information" /log:"C:\documents and settings\mark\desktop\music backup.log" /w:10 /r:10 /np /tee

If you have any suggestions it would be wonderfull to hear them :)

Thanks

JJZolx
2006-08-09, 14:32
"The specified network name is no longer available" bothers me somewhat, hence I stop the thing.

The line I have is:

robocopy /S /IT /Z "M:\temp\test backup" "\\Charlie\Mark\Mark's documents\temp" /xd "system volume information" /log:"C:\documents and settings\mark\desktop\music backup.log" /w:10 /r:10 /np /tee

If you have any suggestions it would be wonderfull to hear them :)Let's see if I have this straight:

- You're running the command on the desktop machine.

- M: is a local drive on the desktop machine.

- \\Charlie is the laptop machine.

Why are you copying into someone's 'my documents' folder instead of that external drive?

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-09, 14:48
That "The specified network name is no longer available" error is the same one I'm getting here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=26183 and I believe I have some fairly major low-level network problems.

Listener
2006-08-09, 15:13
Here is a command line I use for backing up my wife's PC from mine:

robocopy \\Pavilion\lesley-hd\ e:\backup_HP_%1_robocopy *.* /E /ZB /R:1 /W:1 /copy:DAT

Pavillion is the name of the computer on the LAN and lesley-hd is the name of the shared hard drive.

Note the /R and /W arguments. I have cut down to 1 retry with a short interval since I never saw that retries did any good.

Bill

Deaf Cat
2006-08-10, 00:29
Let's see if I have this straight:

- You're running the command on the desktop machine.

- M: is a local drive on the desktop machine.

- \\Charlie is the laptop machine.

Why are you copying into someone's 'my documents' folder instead of that external drive?

- Yes
- Yes
- Yes

I tried the external drive first (did not work) and thought it may have been one step too far away??, so I thought I would just try a folder on the laptop, but it yields the same result....

That "The specified network name is no longer available" error is the same one I'm getting here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=26183 and I believe I have some fairly major low-level network problems.

uhooo thats not good, I have not got a clue about networks, it just worked when I pluged it all in and followed the instructins for setting the thing up. I did not understand all the numbers etc - time to start learning I guess :(
Well I have heard of the ping thing, thats a start I suppose :)
Everything copies across to everywhere from everywhere.....but hay they are computers always something not quite right somewhere!

Here is a command line I use for backing up my wife's PC from mine:

robocopy \\Pavilion\lesley-hd\ e:\backup_HP_%1_robocopy *.* /E /ZB /R:1 /W:1 /copy:DAT

Pavillion is the name of the computer on the LAN and lesley-hd is the name of the shared hard drive.

Note the /R and /W arguments. I have cut down to 1 retry with a short interval since I never saw that retries did any good.

Bill

Cheers Bill, I tried the R & W as Zeros but still the network name was a problem???
It seems it maybe my network then....ahgrrr
Computers *@#~*%@
If I had not have come across my little SB I'm sure my pc would be living at the bottom of the garden pond :)

tommypeters
2006-08-10, 01:51
"The specified network name is no longer available"... hmmm...

What OS do you have on the machines? Wind$ws? Well updated? That was anyway a common problem in earlier Windows versions, fixed in updates.

Deaf Cat
2006-08-10, 04:45
"The specified network name is no longer available"... hmmm...

What OS do you have on the machines? Wind$ws? Well updated? That was anyway a common problem in earlier Windows versions, fixed in updates.

Ah, well I have XP on both machines, the laptop was formatted and just has basic XP on it (and slimserver), basically to try and knock out everything to get the rather usless external hdd to work. It was not going to work on the desk top or laptop so formatting was a last result.

The desk top has everything possible to up date, up dated, at least 3 times to try and get the ext hdd thing to work.

Bit worried about updating the laptop just incase the damn external says 'No' once again.

Any thoughts?

barcar
2006-08-10, 05:20
This isn't a robocopy problem - you have a low level network issue.

This Micrsoft article is a good place to start troubleshooting: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325487/

Cheers.