PDA

View Full Version : Npr?

samh
2006-08-09, 10:27
Is it possible to get national public radio on the squeezebox?

kdf
2006-08-09, 10:39
Quoting samh <samh.2ca9nz1155144601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Can the squeezebox display a clock? Is it possible to set the alarm to
> tune in a net radio station?
>
yes and yes. you can use the search feature of the forum for more details.
-kdf

kdf
2006-08-09, 10:41
Quoting samh <samh.2ca9nz1155144601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Is it possible to get national public radio on the squeezebox?

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?PluginsAudio
-kdf

Pale Blue Ego
2006-08-09, 10:45
Yes.

There a couple of ways to do it. If you look at the Internet Radio menu, the Slim Devices picks section lists several public radio stations that carry NPR programming.

Probably the best way to access NPR via the Squeezebox is through podcasts. NPR offers most of is shows as podcasts - you can listen to "All Things Considered" or "Morning Edition" whenever you want to.

There's a complete listing of NPR podcasts at:

http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast/podcast_directory.php

You can add individual podcast feeds to Slimserver by going to "Server Settings | Plugins | Podcast Browser" and adding the URL of the feed you want. Then you'll always have access to the last several broadcasts of the show.

SMWinnie
2006-08-09, 11:09
Probably the best way to access NPR via the Squeezebox is through podcasts. NPR offers most of is shows as podcasts - you can listen to "All Things Considered" or "Morning Edition" whenever you want to.
Is that correct? I was under the impression that only segments of Morning Edition or All Things Considered were being made available as podcasts.

bklaas
2006-08-09, 11:50
the publicradiofan.com plugin is a must-have for anyone that wants to stream live NPR over their squeezeboxen.
http://www.malsbury.net/~slim/

I'm an addict to the show "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me". Pretty much anytime over the weekend I can tune into an NPR stream that is airing it on that particular hour. It's as simple as (via squeezebox remote) Plugins->Publicradiofan.com->Non-Music->Wait Wait Don't Tell Me->pick a station.

The downside of this plugin is that, at the request of the Publicradiofan.com website owner, the plugin is not available via the slimserver's web UI. That's a major bummer to me, particularly because I've invested so much time and effort into making the 770 a viable squeezebox remote.

#!/ben

bpa
2006-08-09, 12:07
AlienBBC has many of the NPR programs available as an optional menu as well as those archived programs under the RSS part of the NPR site.

In the Wikiradio (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?WikiRadio ) page there is an OPML file which lets you browse all the NPR podcast and select from the SB.

azinck3
2006-08-09, 12:22
I'm a big Wait Wait fan, too, Ben. I listen to NPR more than anything else and can tell you that bpa is right: AlienBBC is the way to go for maximum NPR support. It's really even better than the PublicRadioFan plugin because you can listen to the latest version of most any NPR show any time you want and fast-forward, rewind, etc. For those shows that AlienBBC doesn't support (i.e., Cartalk), I've written a little php script that generates the latest URL so that I can listen to those, too (and with AlienBBC installed you have the ability to play back realmedia streams).

Andreas
2006-08-09, 13:13
samh wrote:
> Can the squeezebox display a clock? Is it possible to set the alarm to
> tune in a net radio station?

that'll be a YES on both questions!

I guess you don't have a SB yet? In that case, download the slimserver software
and get familiar with it. There's a software Squeezebox called Softsqueeze included
that works almost exactly like the real thing...

rgds
/andreas

geranimo1
2006-08-10, 15:16
How do people retrieve the URL's for archived NPR content?

For instance, you can go to http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5602441 for an old interview with Robin Williams. If you don't have the cookie set for an audio player, you can get the URL by clicking on "listen" and then capturing the link on the popup. However, once the cookie is set, a bunch of javascript will autoload your audio player and there is no way to capture the url.

I'm looking for an easier way then deleting the cookie, which doesn't have a high WAF.

bpa
2006-08-10, 15:21
Most of the urls are of this format

http://www.npr.org/dmg/dmg.php?prgCode=<progcode>&showDate=<programdate>&segNum=&mediaPref=RM

<progcode> will depend on the source program
<progdate> is the date of the programe

last field is RM for RealAudio or WM for WMA.

samh
2006-08-11, 04:31
Got my SB yesterday!

-on the NPR question: Listening to WHYY (my local news station) right now :D

-- if an NPR station is not on shoutcast, is there a way to play it on the SB? (looking for WXPN philadelphia)

ok - so an alarm question:
My alarm didn't go off this morning, which was fine, because I was up anyway.

I tested a couple of things:
SB State: Displaying clock (off?)
Alarm: works fine

SB State: Displaying dimmed main menu, not playing a track.
Alarm: works fine

SB State: Totally dark (as it was this morning when the alarm didn't go off.) -- what is the SB doing in this state?
Alarm: doesn't start

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-11, 06:27
-- if an NPR station is not on shoutcast, is there a way to play it on the SB? (looking for WXPN philadelphia)

Find the URL and enter it into Radio - Radio Tune In on SlimServer. There's also a tune in box in Help - Internet Radio.

With a working station in your playlist, save the playlist or save a favorite so you can access this later.

SB State: Totally dark (as it was this morning when the alarm didn't go off.) -- what is the SB doing in this state?
Alarm: doesn't start

The SB has lost the connection to SlimServer. Your SS box has probably gone to sleep.

samh
2006-08-11, 11:39
Ok - but I have WOL enabled on my SS server. So shouldn't the alarm wake it up?

SH

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-11, 11:47
Ok - but I have WOL enabled on my SS server. So shouldn't the alarm wake it up?

SH

The alarm runs in SlimServer. WOL will wake the server up if you press the power button on the remote. But if the server is asleep, it can't activate the SB which would activate WOL.

You may want to try an alarm set in SqueezeNetwork.

geranimo1
2006-08-13, 06:25
For those shows that AlienBBC doesn't support (i.e., Cartalk), I've written a little php script that generates the latest URL so that I can listen to those, too (and with AlienBBC installed you have the ability to play back realmedia streams).

Is your PHP script available anywhere?