PDA

View Full Version : Just Amazing.

dagordon
2006-08-09, 07:31
Sorry, I'm a little excited. I just got my Squeezebox last night. UPS usually delivers in the early afternoon; waiting for this thing to be delivered yesterday was torture.

Anyway, it took approximately a minute to get the Squeezebox set up. (I'm using a wired Ethernet connection, and I've had SlimServer set up for a couple of days).

I have to say that I'm just blown away by this thing. I have a large FLAC music library of all of my CDs and more. My music has never sounded better. Can't see any reason why I'd ever use a CD at home again. (My audio system is not terribly high-end; I'm using a Harman/Kardon Festival 60 mini-system. But it's good enough for present purposes.)

At the moment my g/f is listening to what I'm listening to here at home at her work. This is really tremendously cool.

It's pretty rare that I'm this impressed by a purhcase that I've made. I really have no complaints at all. (Well, I did just discover that if a Squeezebox and Softsqueeze player are synced, it seems that plaback is no longer gapless -- there's a small pause in the transition from one song to another. But this is fairly minor.)

I'm currently running Slimserver on my laptop, which is home most of the time, but the next step will be to get a hold of my sister's old laptop and set that up as the music server.

best,
David

chris.mason
2006-08-09, 07:41
I'm continually impressed with how the whole thing is put together - SlimServer and Squeezebox. Whenever I think "I wonder if can do that..?" I usually can. For example, streaming my music to my office, through our firewalls over SSH using a SOCKS proxy. Oh yes, that works! Even better, listening to radio stations I like at work, which we normally can't do.
And like you, my music has never sounded better when using my SB3. This is effectively a replacement for a CD player for me. Mine broke down some months ago, and then I discovered slimserver/sb3, and decided to get that instead of a new cd player. Not looked back.

Andyoz
2006-08-09, 07:53
Wait until you really get going with internet radio.

Being able to switch effortlessly between you CD collection and radio is one of it's best features.

radish
2006-08-09, 08:41
(Well, I did just discover that if a Squeezebox and Softsqueeze player are synced, it seems that plaback is no longer gapless -- there's a small pause in the transition from one song to another. But this is fairly minor.)

Yup, in fact the lack of gapless happens with any synced players - it's not specific to softsqueeze. The reason is that the current implementation uses the track transition to get the players back in sync. There have been discussions around a better solution (the current one can have problems with very long tracks or radio streams where there are no track changes at all) but it's a complex problem.