PDA

View Full Version : Washington Post Review

studley
2006-08-08, 14:18
A nice review in the Sunday Edition of the Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/05/AR2006080500117.html

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-08, 14:27
I like his conclusion:

All these devices have one strange thing in common: They're most practical if you avoid buying music online, instead copying it off your CDs -- or those of friends -- or grabbing it off file-sharing services. Is that really what the online-music industry wants people to do?

I wonder if record execs read the Washington Post? Maybe not, I'm not even sure they're from this planet. ;-)

davep
2006-08-09, 03:32
Did this paragraph confuse you as much as it did me?

Quote:
"The Squeezebox's display, larger and more legible than Roku's, taxes your eyes less. Its remote, however, needs work; I had to look in the manual to figure out that I had to hold down the left-arrow button for a few seconds to point the SoundBridge to a new music server."

Is he talking about the Squeezebox or the Soundbridge? and in any case how many times does anybody need to point their SB at a new music server? If he meant the SqueezeBox then I can only guess he was doing an initial setup and couldn't find the server for some reason.

davep

CarlOtto
2006-08-09, 06:06
... and in any case how many times does anybody need to point their SB at a new music server? If he meant the SqueezeBox then I can only guess he was doing an initial setup and couldn't find the server for some reason.

davep

Well in some cases you might need to change music servers quite often - this confused me as well and I didn't even know this trick. We have had to restart the SB3 all the time to change but now we know better of course.

In my case, I have a large classical music collection, well tagged and all in flac etc. My daughter has a totally unorganized lot of mp3's and other stuff with a complete mess in tagging. We keep this on our separate computers at home because I don't want her mess in the searches when I use the music server.
So we change servers everytime we switch listeners.

My wife can't be bothered with the music system because she thinks the remote is too messy. Why would you navigate to "Now Playing" and hit "Add" when you want to clear out a playlist - that is totally backwards logic. Couldn't there just be a "Cancel" or "Clear" button? I agree that the remote needs a serious review.

(if there's a better way to clear a playlist, I haven't found it and you're welcome to enlighten me).

jimdibb
2006-08-09, 06:19
Don't clear it, just start a new one by using 'play'

On 8/9/06, CarlOtto <CarlOtto.2c9xmn1155129001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> davep Wrote:
> >
> > ... and in any case how many times does anybody need to point their SB
> > at a new music server? If he meant the SqueezeBox then I can only guess
> > he was doing an initial setup and couldn't find the server for some
> > reason.
> >
> > davep
>
> Well in some cases you might need to change music servers quite often -
> this confused me as well and I didn't even know this trick. We have had
> to restart the SB3 all the time to change but now we know better of
> course.
>
> In my case, I have a large classical music collection, well tagged and
> all in flac etc. My daughter has a totally unorganized lot of mp3's and
> other stuff with a complete mess in tagging. We keep this on our
> separate computers at home because I don't want her mess in the
> searches when I use the music server.
> So we change servers everytime we switch listeners.
>
> My wife can't be bothered with the music system because she thinks the
> remote is too messy. Why would you navigate to "Now Playing" and hit
> "Add" when you want to clear out a playlist - that is totally backwards
> logic. Couldn't there just be a "Cancel" or "Clear" button? I agree that
> the remote needs a serious review.
>
> (if there's a better way to clear a playlist, I haven't found it and
> you're welcome to enlighten me).
>
>
> --
> CarlOtto
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> CarlOtto's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3581
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=26236
>
>

CarlOtto
2006-08-09, 15:45
Hi,
Yes I found that one - but the typcal time I want to "clear" a playlist is when I stop listening (so it doesn't come on next time I switch on my audio gear - I leave the server on all the time) or when I want to take a pause of an hour or so and come back and listen to something else later. I still miss a "clear" button meaning "stop what I'm listening to and clear out the playlist".

It drives me mad when number one daughter leaves her playlist running and turns off the stereo. I switch on the stereo next day and get hammered by yesterdays pop music - until I manage to go through all the clicks on the remote to kill it.

kdf
2006-08-09, 15:59
Quoting CarlOtto <CarlOtto.2caohb1155163801 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> It drives me mad when number one daughter leaves her playlist running
> and turns off the stereo. I switch on the stereo next day and get
> hammered by yesterdays pop music - until I manage to go through all the
> clicks on the remote to kill it.
>
press-and-hold pause (STOP the noise)
now playing, left, add (CLEAR the leftovers)
-kdf

cbemoore
2006-08-09, 16:10
Hi,
Yes I found that one - but the typcal time I want to "clear" a playlist is when I stop listening (so it doesn't come on next time I switch on my audio gear - I leave the server on all the time) or when I want to take a pause of an hour or so and come back and listen to something else later

In "Player Setings / Audio" just select "Stop at power off / Remain stopped at power on".

Et voila - when you power off the SB, the music stops, and when you power it back on again the music stays stopped. You can then just create a new playlist as usual.

HTH
Chris

CarlOtto
2006-08-10, 11:37
Thanks all for the suggestions, they do indeed look like better ways of doing it and I'll try them out in the future!