PDA

View Full Version : Radioio bit rate on 6.3.x

darrellcraig
2006-08-08, 11:29
I upgraded slimserver from 6.2.2 to 6.3.1 and now radioio only streams at 32kbps (was at 128). Ecch, sounds horrible - if I reinstall 6.2.2 reverts to 128kbps stream, but I would like to stick with 6.3.1. Is this due to changing contractual arrangements 'tween Slim Devices & Radioio and I now need to buy a premium membership from them or is there something else I can do to re-establish higher bit rate under 6.3.1? Anyone else having this problem? ideas? Thanks!

andyg
2006-08-08, 11:33
If you don't sign up for a RadioIO account, it's 32k. If you sign up for a free account and enter your login details under Server Settings -> Internet Radio, you get 128k. If you signup for a premium SoundPass account, you get 128k ad-free streams.

darrellcraig
2006-08-08, 12:58
Thanks, have 128kbps now...[edit: albeit with ads unlike 6.2.2]

mbonsack
2006-08-08, 13:00
If you don't sign up for a RadioIO account, it's 32k. If you sign up for a free account and enter your login details under Server Settings -> Internet Radio, you get 128k. If you signup for a premium SoundPass account, you get 128k ad-free streams.

Is there any reason RadioIO requires a street address to register for an Internet based service? Is there any way to sign up without this; the last thing I need is more hard junk mail...

DrNic
2006-08-09, 13:05
Just noticed this "problem" myself.
I am using 6.2.1 (it works for me - and I have seen too many bad bug reports about the 6.3.x branch to make it worth upgrading)
Where is the place to enter the RadioIO login details in 6.2.1 then?

Nic

andyg
2006-08-09, 13:07
You'll need to upgrade to 6.3.1, there was no support for RadioIO logins back in 6.2. You could also use SqueezeNetwork as an alternative.

DrNic
2006-08-09, 13:30
You'll need to upgrade to 6.3.1, there was no support for RadioIO logins back in 6.2. You could also use SqueezeNetwork as an alternative.

I am out of the loop abit with the relevant server versions and stability issues.
So is the 6.3.1 version a "stable" release and are all the relevant bugs fixed now - I remember problems with compilation albums and the like recently.

Thanks

Nic

radish
2006-08-09, 13:35
I am out of the loop abit with the relevant server versions and stability issues.
So is the 6.3.1 version a "stable" release and are all the relevant bugs fixed now - I remember problems with compilation albums and the like recently.

Thanks

Nic
6.3.1 is the official production version at the moment. I'm using 6.3.0 with no problems (haven't got around to upgrading yet). There obviously are bugs in 6.3.1, as there are with any software, the question is whether they affect you or not. Bugtraq would be a good place to start, otherwise just do the upgrade but keep your 6.2.x install around so you can easily move back if you don't like it.

Jeff52
2006-08-11, 04:08

I'm a bit confused Andy. If one uses 6.3.1 and Squeezenetwork, is the bitrate still 32k without registration? If that is the case then I definitely won't upgrade from 6.2.2.

andyg
2006-08-11, 07:14
SqueezeNetwork doesn't know what version of SlimServer you are running. To get the higher bitrate on SN, enter your RadioIO login information on the Accounts page.

Jeff52
2006-08-11, 07:42
I'm not registered with RadioIO so I guess I'm getting a 32k stream via SqueezeNetwork. Guess I'll consider registering after I upgrade to 6.3.1 which I'm a little hesitant to do at the moment because 6.2.2 has worked pretty well for me with only a few minor issues.

Edit: After re-reading this thread, I'll stick with 6.2.2 as an upgrade to 6.3.1 essentially downgrades the bitstream from RadioIO. I assume this is a result of a contractual agreement between RadioIO and SlimDevices.

tomm
2006-09-03, 14:52
I just signed up for RadioIO SoundPass service today. But I am still getting commercials. So far, their tech support is focusing on Squeeze Network, which I seldom use.

I am running 6.3.0 in Linux. I have restarted slimserver and re-entered the username/password stuff to no avail.

I do not use the Squeeze Network, just slimserver.

Do I have to be on 6.3.1 for SoundPass to work?

Thanks in advance.

andyg
2006-09-03, 16:48
It should work fine in 6.3. Check that you've entered your username and password correctly, that's the most likely reason it's not working. Are your streams 32k or 128k?

tomm
2006-09-03, 16:57
All their streams are 128k for me. I have had my userid and password in there for quite a while now, and I did verify that my credentials are correct. I just enabled SoundPass today. I have been exchanging email with their support all day and they are telling me I have to use iTunes or Squeeze Network, which won't for for me as I have some SB version boxes that can not connect to Squeeze Network. And I have slimserver running on a Linux machine in my basement.

I am ready to give up on SoundPass, which would be a bummer, but their commercials are awful.

tomm
2006-09-03, 17:06
FWIW, here is the latest from support:

-- RadioIO Support --
If they are all networked, SlimServer can be run from a Windows or Mac computer. iTunes is a free software that runs on Mac and Windows. Once the playlist is built, you shouldn't have to go back to iTunes or the SlimServer although SlimServer needs to be running in the system tray. Just tell the SlimServer that you use iTunes and it will automatically import the playlist for you. From the squeezebox, browse your playlist and select from there.

As far as a Linux machine, you are on your own.
-- end RadioIO Support --

andyg
2006-09-03, 17:31
The fact that you are getting 128k streams means that your account appears to be working since they send 32k streams to unregistered users. Make sure you get a new URL by going through Internet Radio -> RadioIO and don't use an old URL in a playlist. Have you tried it through SqueezeNetwork just to see if your account works?

tomm
2006-09-03, 19:03
Well, I wish I had thought of that idea. I tuned into the Squeeze Network version of RadioIOJam and it was commercial-free (which was really nice).

Then, I walked over to a SqueezeBox v1 (unable to use Squeeze Network) and tuned into RadioIOJam via the remote 'Internet Radio --> RadioIO --> RadioIOJam' and sure enough, there was an acne commercial.

My hope is that there is something screwy with my 6.3.0 installation or something and that it is doable without Squeeze Network because I have more SqueezeBox v1s than v2 and I like slimserver better.

This is the info that the slimserver serves up from the web interface:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,radioioJam 128k M3U *S2* Stream
http://www.searchplay.com/radioioJam/S2hi.m3u
http://release.theplatform.com/content.select?pid=<long alpha-numeric string/>

Any suggestions appreciated.

andyg
2006-09-03, 20:23
Hmm, but S2hi *is* the commercial free stream.

tomm
2006-09-04, 07:15
Yeah, go figure. I retried it all this AM and everything is commercial-free - Squeeze Network and slimserver.

Not sure if hitting the account from Squeeze Network did something lazily on the RadioIO side or what, but I will keep an eye on things for a while.

Thanks for the great support - you guys rock.