PDA

View Full Version : ShoutCAST problems?

DrNic
2006-08-08, 03:36
Hi all!
Is anyone else noticing a problem with ShoutCAST?
Either via Squeezenetwork or Slimserver I get stuttering playback - this was never a problem previously!
I thought that it might be my new internet connection (had to go ADSL 2 - after a move, previously on cable) but after having no problem with Pandora, radioIO, or SlimPicks I think otherwise!
Had a go at directly tuning in the stations I like via Slimserver and again, no problems!
I'm not sure what is going on, searched the forums but no one else seems to be experiencing these problems.
Any ideas?

Nic

PS just to clarify (!) - NO problems with pandora/radioIO or even direct tune in!

rick's cafe
2006-08-08, 05:53
i am also experiencing similar problems with shoutcast... not all stations but many do seem affected... dunno what is causing it though

andyg
2006-08-08, 06:17
Many Shoutcast stations have 4 or 5 different stream URLs, have you tried some of these backups? Maybe they've just got some overloaded stream servers.

DrNic
2006-08-09, 13:02
Thanks for the replies
I have tried the "alternate" streams already - but no good.
Anyway, I think my particular problems run a bit deeper now...
After a little more exhaustive testing I have found that after a period of, say 20 minutes, ALL of the internet radio streams exhibit the stuttering behaviour - darn!!
Can't think why ShoutCast displays the symptoms first, but it is now apparent on Pandora/Slimpicks/RadioIO and ShoutCast - regardless of local or Squeezenetwork feed...
Could it be that my ADSL connection is having trouble continously streaming data? I don't seem to have issues with normal browsing.
My next test is to see how iTunes radio copes.
Thanks again

Nic

PS Why are all RadioIO streams now only 32 kbps?

andyg
2006-08-09, 13:06
My guess is your problem is your internet connection or wireless network.

Re: RadioIO bitrate, see this post: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=26227

DrNic
2006-08-09, 13:28
My guess is your problem is your internet connection or wireless network.

Re: RadioIO bitrate, see this post: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=26227

Thanks Andy
I feel it must be the internet connection - have absolutely no problems streaming FLAC or WAV across the wireless network much heavier bandwidth usage than the lowly 128 kbps internet radio me thinks!
Time to hassle the ISP.
(wish I could get cable out here - darned wife wanting to move out to the country!!)

Nic