PDA

View Full Version : Help please with multi-SB integration questions

FPP
2006-08-07, 16:35
Sanity check requested please!

I’m in the process of finalizing the structured cabling for a new house that we expect to move in to late Q1 next year.

One of the things I’m wrestling with is how to integrate multiple SB3s into the system. I’ve pretty much decided to go with Cat 5e/6 cabling throughout, including all video and audio streams.

For each SB, I am contemplating contructing a shoebox-sized enclosure that will be set into the wall. Coming into the rear will be two Cat 5e cables plus a power feed. One of the Cat5e cables will c onnect to the SS machine, the other will carry the audio back to the matrix switch, and hence via an amp to the speakers.

The two items I’m having trouble finding a solution for:

(a) Ideally I would like to dispense with the wall wart and a 110V feed in place of a dc feed from the wiring closet. I’d like to know if anyone has done anything similar and can share advice/experience on that.

(b) Second, I’d like to use the digital output from the SB, and connect via an audio balun to a digital amp in the wiring closet. However I’ve been unable to locate reasonably priced amps with digital input, of which I’ll need at least five probably six. Can anyone provide suggestions on this as well? Something like the Flying Mole Cascade (http://www.flyingmoleelectronics.com/products/cascadeseries.html) modular power amp system would be an ideal solution but it only takes analog inputs.

Thanks in advance.

JJZolx
2006-08-07, 17:03
You're going to run Ethernet to the room to feed a stream into the SB, then the output of the SB, whether digital or analog, will go to a centrally located amp, then back to the room's speakers?

IMO, this sounds extraordinarily convoluted, particularly if you wish to use the digital out. At least using the analog outs you could use a big honkin' multi-channel amp to handle more than one room.

Ditch the idea of an enclosure in the wall. What if in a couple of years you come up with a better solution that doesn't fit so neatly into the enclosure? What if you want to move furniture in front of the enclosure?

And you want to provide remote power? The Squezebox just wasn't designed for this type of installation. You'd like to have nothing but the player and remote, plus a pair of speakers in the room, but I can't see that as practical without a _lot_ of very odd cabling.

I'm not a fan of trying to run the Squeezebox without a volume control on a local amp. The cleanest install would then be a small integrated amp in the room, plus the Squeezebox on top or nearby, with Ethernet and speaker cabling jacks on a wall plate. If you find an amp with an AC outlet, you could reduce your power plugs going to the wall to just one.

FPP
2006-08-07, 18:16
Wel I appreciate the prompt response, even if it's not particularly helpful!

You're going to run Ethernet to the room to feed a stream into the SB, then the output of the SB, whether digital or analog, will go to a centrally located amp, then back to the room's speakers?

Basically yes, although I will also be installing a matrix switcher (Autopatch) in-between that I will be controlling via CQC. I didn't want to make the story too complicated at this point.

IMO, this sounds extraordinarily convoluted, particularly if you wish to use the digital out. At least using the analog outs you could use a big honkin' multi-channel amp to handle more than one room.

A big honking multichannel amp is what I'm actually trying to avoid. A nice little efficient digital multichannel amp is more what I had in mind. I'd still like to learn if anybody has come across one.

Besides which I'm a digital kind of guy, my main system's all Meridian.

Ditch the idea of an enclosure in the wall. What if in a couple of years you come up with a better solution that doesn't fit so neatly into the enclosure? What if you want to move furniture in front of the enclosure?

Points noted. I did rather like the idea of just the graphic display appearing in view but I'm not wedded to the idea.

And you want to provide remote power? The Squezebox just wasn't designed for this type of installation. You'd like to have nothing but the player and remote, plus a pair of speakers in the room, but I can't see that as practical without a _lot_ of very odd cabling.

I know it wasn't designed for that, but is there any reason why it couldn't be done? As for odd cabling there will be lots of other low voltage cabling of different types all over the place for smokes, alarm sensors, lighting, thermos etc. A few more won't make that much difference.

And actually running the digital audio out over Cat5e seems to me to be quite an elegant approach (I agree it could also be done with the analog as well).

I guess what I'm really asking is if anyone has come across a 5V power distribution unit like the 12/24V unit that Elk has for its M1-Gold (which I already have).

I'm not a fan of trying to run the Squeezebox without a volume control on a local amp. The cleanest install would then be a small integrated amp in the room, plus the Squeezebox on top or nearby, with Ethernet and speaker cabling jacks on a wall plate. If you find an amp with an AC outlet, you could reduce your power plugs going to the wall to just one.

I guess one is either a Centralist or a Distributionist in such matters.