PDA

View Full Version : Third-Party Remotes

jonheal
2006-08-04, 02:33
I go through a lot of remotes. I seem to be on an eternal quest to find the ultimate universal remote, because so far, I haven't found it. We have a drawer full at this point -- all of them coming up short in one regard or another. Adding a Squeezebox to the mix has just complicated the issue.

I'm no huge fan of the SB's remote's build quality, but it does work great. Has anyone come across another remote that is as responsive as the one that comes with the Squeezebox? I've tried a Sony, a Universal R5, and an X10 remote, but none of them were very responsive to fast, repeated button presses.

I should also say that I'm not interested in spending $250-300 on a Harmony -- even if it works perfectly.

An aside. I mapped these remotes to JVC DVD codes. On the Sony, one of the buttons cycles through the song title display options. I don't believe there's a button on the SB remote that does that, is there?

bgrounds
2006-08-04, 05:19
universalremote.com I have 3 and the are great. Choose the one that fits your needs.

tommyz
2006-08-04, 06:10
On the Sony, one of the buttons cycles through the song title display options. I don't believe there's a button on the SB remote that does that, is there?

Try "Now Playing", bottom left

TommyZ

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-04, 06:14
I just use the Marantz RC1400 (http://us.marantz.com/Products/556.asp) that came with my receiver.

I like it - big but not excessively so, good battery life, backlit, LCD display with 5 pages of custom buttons for each input, 12 inputs, macro capability. Hundreds of built-in codes, learning capability.

Responds to fast, repeated button pushes well for me. It also seems to handle Squeezebox firmware upgrades - I notice most people have to use the Squeezebox remote for this, but when I press and hold the brightness button I programmed into the custom buttons for the Squeezebox, it sustains the command as long as the button is held, triggering a firmware update.

Kyle
2006-08-04, 06:26
You should be able to get a Harmony on ebay for around $150, if you're patient.

jonheal
2006-08-04, 06:30
Try "Now Playing", bottom left

TommyZ
That button cycles through the now playing options (different spectrum analyzers, for the most part). What the button on the Sony cycles through are different title format options, as in:

[1] my title.flac
1. my title
my title - my album

radish
2006-08-04, 07:00
The Harmony 880 (pretty much the top of their line) is available for well under $200 in plenty of places:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Logitech_Harmony_880_Advanced_Universal_Remote, __7803953/sort_type=bottomline

The 550 & 659 are both around $100. Having tried many other options I'd personally recommend any of those over anything else on the market, they're worth their weight in gold. YMMV of course.

Kyle
2006-08-04, 07:12
Radish, I've been bidding on some 880's recently. Can you tell me the differences between these models? Is the 880 worth the extra dough?

Neil Cameron
2006-08-04, 07:27
Philips/Marantz Pronto?

Neil

"jonheal"
<jonheal.2c0ecb1154684101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote in message
news:jonheal.2c0ecb1154684101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com...
>
> We go through a lot of remotes around here. I seem to be on an eternal
> quest to find the ultimate universal remote, because so far, I haven't
> found it. We have a drawer full at this point -- all of them coming up
> short in one regard or another. Adding a Squeezebox to the mix has just
> complicated the issue.
>
> I'm no huge fan of the SB's remote's build quality, but it does work
> great. Has anyone come across another remote that is as responsive as
> the one that comes with the Squeezebox? I've tried a Sony, a Universal
> R5, and an X10 remote, but none of them were very responsive to fast,
> repeated button presses.
>
> I should also say that I'm not interested in spending $250-300 on a
> Harmony -- even if it works perfectly.
>
> An aside. I mapped these remotes to JVC DVD codes. On the Sony, one of
> the buttons cycles through the song title display options. I don't
> believe there's a button on the SB remote that does that, is there?
>
>
> --
> jonheal
>
> Jon Heal says:
> Have a nice day!
> http://www.theheals.org/
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> jonheal's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2133
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=26108

dean
2006-08-04, 07:35
That button got dropped when we stopped shipping the sony universal
remotes and started shipping the semi-custom remotes.

The new, backlit remotes are really nice looking and feeling. We'll
be selling them online soon, so you may be interested in upgrading to
that.

-dean

On Aug 4, 2006, at 6:30 AM, jonheal wrote:

>
> tommyz Wrote:
>> Try "Now Playing", bottom left
>>
>> TommyZ
> That button cycles through the now playing options (different spectrum
> analyzers, for the most part). What the button on the Sony cycles
> through are different title format options, as in:
>
> [1] my title.flac
> 1. my title
> my title - my album
> ...
>
>
> --
> jonheal
>
> Jon Heal says:
> Have a nice day!
> http://www.theheals.org/
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
> jonheal's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?
> userid=2133
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=26108
>
>

shabbs
2006-08-04, 07:36
Radish, I've been bidding on some 880's recently. Can you tell me the differences between these models? Is the 880 worth the extra dough?
Nice comparison chart here on Logitech's site:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/comparison/US/EN,crid=2080,sh=1,chart=0,contentid=8789

I use the 880 and totally love it. The biggest difference for the 880 is the colour screen and 8 activity buttons that you can assign. With the 880 you can assign any activity to the 8 buttons. With the others, 3 are pre-assigned and 3 are customizable.

Cheers.

moby_uk
2006-08-04, 08:20
I bought a harmony 885 last week and I cannot rate it highly enough. Within around 10 minutes it was controlling all my devices (Pioneer DVD player, Xbox 360, Yamaha AV reciever and Squeezebox faultlessly).

There is only one slight issue in the selection of external input on my Philips LCD TV, but I expect to resolve that soon. One button turns on my Squeezebox and Amp, then sets the Amp to the correct input. The remote is also more ergonomic than the out of the box remote (well you would expect it to be for that price).

Now I just wonder how Logitech expects me to play my Xbox with the remote (yes, it even emulates the A, B, X & Y keys!)

Pale Blue Ego
2006-08-04, 08:30
The new, backlit remotes are really nice looking and feeling. We'll be selling them online soon, so you may be interested in upgrading to that.

-dean

Do you know what the price of those will be, dean?

radish
2006-08-04, 08:57
On the Harmony differences, I used to use a 659 and now have the 880. The main advantages that I see are:

* It looks better - a lot better. The graphic/color screen helps but the case design is also much nicer.
* The built in rechargable battery and cradle prevents the "gradually decreasing reliability" problem you get as remote batteries die.
* More soft buttons on the screen - this is key. As well as allowing you to name the activities exactly as you want it also allows for more custom options to be displayed at once during an activity.
* The transport controls (FF/REW/PLAY/etc) are in a much more sensible place.

I haven't used the 550 but it looks as if it is part way between the two - it looks much more modern and has better transport controls, but the screen is still monochrome. Probably a good compromise if you're budget restricted.

The important thing to realise about all the different models is that the software features are basically the same - the differences are in cosmetics, the screen, button layout etc. Study the photos and choose which you prefer.

azinck3
2006-08-04, 08:58
Well, I have an unconventional answer if you're looking for something other than a Harmony (which are, truly, great remotes). I use a URC 9910 from One For All (made by UEI). You can often find them for around $30 on the internet (I've had good luck getting them REAL cheap--<$10--on Ebay occasionally and I stock up because of how much I love these things).

It has a lot of nice features like a powerful backlight and (I think) well-designed button placement, but what makes the URC 9910 a really interesting beast is three things: learning capabilities, JP1, and its RF extender.

RF EXTENDER
The remote has a standard IR emitter but also broadcasts a duplicate signal to an included RF base unit that has an IR emitter in it and even connects to an included cabled IR emitter for more flexibility. I usually position these across the room from my equipment (though you could certainly put it in an equipment cabinet or something) such that I can control my equipment without regard to the orientation of the remote control. This is extremely handy. There are other solutions out there to add this sort of capability but none are so cheap.

Learning capabilities
This probably doesn't need much expounding upon, but it's an important feature to mention because it's especially important if you're going to use the next feature...

JP1 programmability
This is my favorite feature. It gives the remote near-harmony level capabilities, and far more flexibility than a Harmony. JP1 is an interface built into the remote that allows you to connect the remote to your computer via the parallel port ($5, some instructions from the internet, and a little soldering later and I'd built the cable). This capability is definitely for tinkerers, but the end result is amazing. I can't even begin to address everything that you can program the remote to do, but using software available for free on the internet you can completely remap all buttons, put macros on any buttons, create shifted keys, make things like press-and-hold do something different than just press, create new device codes from your learned keys, and much more. Anyhow, it's really cool stuff that allows me to make things "just so". The one thing that it can't do is maintain any state-awareness (at least, I don't think it can--though there may be an extension in the JP1 community that adds this feature, I'm always surprised by what's out there). So it's not as capable as a Harmony in that respect. But the design of my equipment and the flexibility of the remote is such that I'm able to program macros to work in any state, thus giving me harmony-like functionality (I've programmed it so that you just press and hold any device button and the system configures itself to use that device). And with the RF-extender macros rarely fail. It's also nice because I can save multiple different remote configurations for myself and others (I've set these up for several people now) and by just connecting the remote to my computer can dump any configuration onto any remote in a heartbeat. It's great for backing up your settings.

Out-of-the box using its built-in macro, learning, and programming functions it's an excellent remote that's fairly accessible to the masses--and a GREAT value. But if you're a tinkerer willing to mess with JP1 then this can really be a giant-killer.

dean
2006-08-04, 09:23
On Aug 4, 2006, at 8:30 AM, Pale Blue Ego wrote:
> dean Wrote:
>> The new, backlit remotes are really nice looking and feeling.
>> We'll be
>> selling them online soon, so you may be interested in upgrading to
>> that.
>>
>> -dean
>
> Do you know what the price of those will be, dean?
At the risk of getting whacked on the head by our sales team, I
_think_ the price will be $29. They cost a lot more to manufacture
(the white backlight LEDs are expensive), so they are more than our
old replacement remotes.

-dean