PDA

View Full Version : Strange and Annoying issue with new SS installation

fauzigarib
2006-08-04, 00:21
Hi there,

I have no idea how this happened, but a little background.

I had SlimServer installed on my laptop for my SB3, with all my music on a 120 GB IDE-USB drive, externally connected (obviously) through my USB port. Unfortunately, this took away from the portability of my laptop, so I reinstalled another computer with XP (formatted the HD and all), and installed SS on it. I then hooked up the drive to the PC and let SS scan the music. It seemed like it got done ok.

However, 2 strange things have started to happen. First of all, Random Playing of songs, the song title that shows up on my SB3 Now Playing screen, is usually not the one playing. When this happens, if I scroll down the play list, the song that is actually currently playing is a song or two down the list. Also, it does a lot of weird things like play the same song 2-3 times in a row, and then repeat a block of 4-5 songs...

And the second thing is that it just does not play some songs anymore. This might be linked to the first problem, causing the SB to display the song that it's TRYING to play, but play the next one in the playlist that it actually can play.

I haven't yet put the drive back on my laptop to see what the heck is going on, and I'll make sure to do that today after work. In the meantime, any ideas?

Heeeelp!

-Fauzi

fauzigarib
2006-08-04, 00:25
... SS 6.2... downloaded the latest version, and it kept shutting down... so i rolled back.

-Fauzi

stevek1006
2006-08-04, 08:33
[QUOTE=fauzigarib]Hi there,

I have no idea how this happened, but a little background.

I had SlimServer installed on my laptop for my SB3, with all my music on a 120 GB IDE-USB drive, externally connected (obviously) through my USB port. Unfortunately, this took away from the portability of my laptop, so I reinstalled another computer with XP (formatted the HD and all), and installed SS on it. I then hooked up the drive to the PC and let SS scan the music. It seemed like it got done ok.

However, 2 strange things have started to happen. First of all, Random Playing of songs, the song title that shows up on my SB3 Now Playing screen, is usually not the one playing. When this happens, if I scroll down the play list, the song that is actually currently playing is a song or two down the list. Also, it does a lot of weird things like play the same song 2-3 times in a row, and then repeat a block of 4-5 songs...

And the second thing is that it just does not play some songs anymore. This might be linked to the first problem, causing the SB to display the song that it's TRYING to play, but play the next one in the playlist that it actually can play.

You may not have installed a necessary codec or decoder program like quicktime or lame. I had a similar problem after reinstalling slimserver on a new machine. Check and see if it is only particular file types that are not played. Basically, I forgot to reinstall Quicktime so mp4 files would not play. They were still listed in the library, but could not be played. Anyhow, if the files cannot be played, they can be transfered to the playlist, but when slimserver gets to them, they do not get played, this then causes the display to get out of sync with what is playing. I am using MusicIP to maintain the library - I don't know if this matters are not.

Hope that helps,

fauzigarib
2006-08-04, 22:32
Steve!

Thanks!! That was it... Good call!

Love this forum... I'm back with my SB3!!! :)

-Fauzi