PDA

View Full Version : Scanning Server

Jazz1
2006-08-03, 15:41
Added a Santana III two CD set to my server tonight. Is it normal for music to drop in and out while the server scans for new music. Is it my 1.25 Dual Mac G4? Is this a horsepower issue?

azinck3
2006-08-03, 16:01
Added a Santana III two CD set to my server tonight. Is it normal for music to drop in and out while the server scans for new music. Is it my 1.25 Dual Mac G4? Is this a horsepower issue?

Yes, it's normal, and yes, it's kind of a horsepower issue. If the server were threaded then a higher priority could be given to the streaming, but as it is the dropouts are normal. If you have a SB1 or a slimp3 then you're assured to get dropouts. With an SB2 or 3 you may not get them (larger buffers). Regardless, the problem will likely be fixed with the next release of slimserver as the scanning process has been split from the server code.

Jazz1
2006-08-05, 15:20
That is great news regarding future updates that will assist with this problem. I sometimes pump in two or more music CD's and hate to have to wait to hear them while the scanning is going on.

Is there anything in the meantime that I can do to tweak Slimserver?

Yes, it's normal, and yes, it's kind of a horsepower issue. If the server were threaded then a higher priority could be given to the streaming, but as it is the dropouts are normal. If you have a SB1 or a slimp3 then you're assured to get dropouts. With an SB2 or 3 you may not get them (larger buffers). Regardless, the problem will likely be fixed with the next release of slimserver as the scanning process has been split from the server code.

Wirrunna
2006-08-05, 15:51
"Is there anything in the meantime that I can do to tweak Slimserver?"

Be adventurous and load the 6.5 beta version. The scans are quicker and don't interrupt the music.

ModelCitizen
2006-08-06, 08:03
I sometimes pump in two or more music CD's and hate to have to wait to hear them while the scanning is going on.
I don't believe you have to scan your whole music collection each time you add some music. You can browse to the directory containing your new music via "Browse Music Folder" and this act should automatically add it to your SlimServer library database... I think.
MC