PDA

View Full Version : Trouble configuring EAC

Nostromo
2006-07-31, 21:44
I installed EAC and now want to configure it. I'm following the instructions given in "Beginners guide to to installing EAC".

BTW, the wiki is a bit confusing sometimes. For instance, in one part it suggests downloading only the "tools" version of FLAC, not the version with the installer. In another part, it suggest to install FLAC with the installer...

Anyway, I'm trying to configure AccurateRip. I inserted about 5 discs, AccurateRip goes on the internet, and then nothing. How do I know AccurateRip did set up my drive's read offset? Is there supposed to be a message?

Nostromo
2006-08-02, 22:13
No ideas? Maybe I'm not making myself clear.

To repeat, I'm trying to follow the beginners guide to installing EAC (in the Wiki), but I'm stuck at step 6: configuring AccurateRip.

I insert a CD, and then it informs me that its "communicating with accuraterip: downloading"
I inserted five or six CD's, each time it told me "communicating with accuraterip: downloading" But after that, nothing happens. How do I know AccurateRip is configured or not?

At first, I thought the CD's I inserted weren't in the database. But most of them are there. "The Bends" and "OK Computer" by Radiohead, "Kind of blue" by Miles Davis, "Foxtrot" and "Selling England by the pound" by Genesis.

Now I'm starting to think that my DVD-RW drive doesn't support AccurateStream. Btw, I have a Pioneer DVR-108 DVD-RW drive.

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-03, 05:58
Do you have an entry in your Drive Options - Offset/Speed - Use read sample offset correction? If so and you haven't entered it manually, it's been added by AccurateRip. Also this entire area will now be greyed out, barring you from making changes.

To be honest I don't like AccurateRip at this stage in the process either. It just doesn't provide enough info to let you know it's working. When I first started it, I had a game CD in the drive. It read it and thought it was a key disc when it clearly wasn't. It misconfigured that drive and there's no way to wipe what it did apart from reinstalling EAC. Thankfully I don't use that drive to rip.

tgoldstone
2006-08-03, 06:42
You might want to check the http://www.hydrogenaudio.org forums site for more information on EAC. You probably didn't get many responses to your post because it wasn't really related to Slimserver or Squeezeboxes. hydrogenaudio is a good resource site for this type of information.

Nostromo
2006-08-12, 11:14
Here's a progress report, in case some of you encounter the same problem.

Thanks to the fine folks at Hydrogenaudio who helped me solve the problem. :)

First of all, I discovered that AccurateRip was configured properly. I opened EAC and then selected "drive options". In the Offset/speed tab, "Use read sample offset correction" was grayed out the read sample offset correction was set to +48. Which is the correct value, according to the CD drive sample offsets table on the AccurateRip website.

Then, I ripped a track, but didn't get an AccurateRip report afterwards. Someone at hydrogenaudio then pointed out that:

# AccurateRip will only work with extraction of tracks (no CDImages or Catalog or Index-based extraction).

# AccurateRip will only be enabled on ripping if the option "Remove leading and trailing silence" is disabled.

# AccurateRip will only be enabled on ripping if either the option "Overread into lead-in/out" AND/OR the option "Fill missing samples with silence" is activated.

The following disables AccurateRip:

-enabling Delete leading and trailing silent blocks (EAC Options/Extraction)

-disabling Show status dialog after extraction (EAC Options/General)

-enabling Leave Out Gaps (Action menu)

-enabling Append Gaps To Next Track (Action menu)

In my case, neither "Overread into lead-in/out" and "Fill missing samples with silence" were enabled. So I enabled them and it solved my problem: now I get AccurateRip reports.

BTW, the Wiki EAC setup guide doesn't suggest to enable either one of these. I wonder why there's no more people here with my problem. I guess I'm one of the few here who read instructions ;)

andy_c
2006-08-14, 17:19
It misconfigured that drive and there's no way to wipe what it did apart from reinstalling EAC. Thankfully I don't use that drive to rip.

Hi Mark,

You can enable manual setting of the read offset again by just removing AccurateRip.dll from the folder containing EAC.exe. I just keep it in a separate AccurateRip folder in case I get a new drive and have to get the offset. You can easily enable and disable AccurateRip in this way.

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-14, 20:43
Hi Mark,

You can enable manual setting of the read offset again by just removing AccurateRip.dll from the folder containing EAC.exe. I just keep it in a separate AccurateRip folder in case I get a new drive and have to get the offset. You can easily enable and disable AccurateRip in this way.

...ohhhhh! Thanks Andy!

dwc
2006-08-15, 20:05
I guess I'm one of the few here who read instructions ;)

tasty bait... I wonder how many use accurate rip? I never saw the need for it.

Nostromo
2006-08-15, 20:30
The Wiki seems to say that its a must.