PDA

View Full Version : Live stream to my Squeezebox 3

jlara
2006-07-31, 09:06
Hello all!

I was listening to my police scanner the other day, and I thought "Wouldn;t it be great if I could take audio and encode it so my Squeezebox could play it (either as a radio station or as a podcast, i suppose.)

Has anyone tried to implement something like that?

I would want to encode the audio from a Windows machine, perhaps using Windows Media Encoder? But how would I get that stream to the Squeezebox to be able to play?

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!

John

Mark Lanctot
2006-07-31, 09:12
Search the forums for Shoutcast or Icecast. You need an application that creates a stream from a line in, and then play that stream as a radio station in SlimServer.

jlara
2006-07-31, 09:25
Thank you Mark! I got a stream going out from Windows Media Encoder that I can listen to by going to a URL with Windows Media Player.

But how and where do I open a radio station on my SqueezeBox 3 using a URL?

Many thanks again for your help!
John

Mark Lanctot
2006-07-31, 10:04
In SlimServer, under the Radio section, Radio Tune In.

You can also get to this under Help - Internet Radio.

I don't use playlists, but I believe if you save the URL as an .m3u playlist, that'll work too. Then you can call it up on the SB3 interface. Also once it's tuned in, you can save it as a favorite and pull that up later as well.

jlara
2006-07-31, 10:25
Thanks again Mark - yes, Windows Media Encoder seems to put out a stream that's coming form line-in that can be accessed at a certain IP and port.

I created a plain-text MU3 file like this:

#CURTRACK 0
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,PoliceScanner
http://192.168.0.6:2500

and SlimServer recognizes the new entry in the playlist. But, alas, the server says it cannot connect to the server, even though all the firewall settings appear open for the selected port. Other Windows machines can hear the stream using Windows Media Player, but not the SqueezeBox.

Thanks for all the help...perhaps someone will recognize this problem.

Best,
John

Mark Lanctot
2006-07-31, 10:31
There have been some playlist problems lately. Have you tried Radio Tune In?

jlara
2006-07-31, 11:02
Mark,

Just tried it and now I'm starting to see what is going on. Windows Media Encoder is running on a machine, and Windows Media Player running on the same machine can "see" the URL to play the stream.

But any other machine on my network doesn't see the stream using WMP, so I'm assuming that is also why the SB3s can't see the URL either.

The firewall on the source URL machine is open for the port and the router is reporting UPNP is being bnroadcast for the port from that machine. But no one else on the network can see it.

If you have any thoughts your input is greatly appreciated! Also, after I read your posts and started searching using some new keywords (like icecast) I started to see the threads form previous attempts to make this kind of setup work. So thanks for the response despite the existence of other threads on the topic!

John

jlara
2006-07-31, 13:51
Well, the networking component is up and running now and the Windows Media Encoding machine can be seen from everywhere.

But the SB3 units still won't play the streams coming from the Windows Media Encoder. Has anyone gotten WME to tallk to SB3?