PDA

View Full Version : Which NAS box?

hardsoulwax
2006-07-29, 10:11
Hi there.

I'm looking at getting the wireless Squeezebox3 but the only thing putting me off is the need for an always on PC to store the music. Having a NAS box running slimserver does appeal to me although I'm not sure what the best solution is.

I've been looking at this page: http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/linkstation.html and it seems less than straightforward to get in running on a linkstation. Plus that page is not that new and I'd be reluctant to downgrade the firmware on a new Linkstation.

What other options do I have (that don't cost the earth!).

thanks in advance.

pedalhead
2006-07-29, 14:56
At the risk of turning this new forum into a Qnap advert, I don't reckon you can do much better than a Qnap TS-101 for a low cost, low hassle nas box. I bought one recently & it's really well put together & very well supported by Paul on this forum. A risk free purchase imho.

sdr
2006-07-29, 20:09
Anyone know the best way to get one's hands on a TS-101 (with Slimserver) in/shipped to Canada? Thx.

hardsoulwax
2006-07-30, 02:22
A few places I've found sell the Qnap with slimserver pre-installed. They are all quite pricey though...

If I found it cheap somewhere without slimserver on it could I install it myself? Is it easy?

pedalhead
2006-07-30, 12:41
A few places I've found sell the Qnap with slimserver pre-installed. They are all quite pricey though...

If I found it cheap somewhere without slimserver on it could I install it myself? Is it easy?

I believe not. Check with Paul @ Progressive AV for details, but I'm pretty sure it's a custom SS image on the Qnap box.

egd
2006-07-30, 14:13
Having a NAS box running slimserver does appeal to me although I'm not sure what the best solution is.

Whilst Slimdevices has bundled with ReadyNAS I would recommend you have a look at my posts in the following thread http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=25727. Then I'd recommend you take a good hard look at the Performance discussion group on the Infrant forums before even thinking about an NV. Note also the posts re shares disappearing etc.

Chander
2006-07-31, 04:43
Take a look at the Synology products (106 series).

Andy D
2006-08-01, 02:22
The new LinkStation Pro's look interesting.

They've only just come out so it's not clear how easy it is to add SlimServer, but given the TeraStation's can support it I think it shouldn't be too long before SlimServer is running on it.

aubuti
2006-08-01, 03:17
The new LinkStation Pro's look interesting.

They've only just come out so it's not clear how easy it is to add SlimServer, but given the TeraStation's can support it I think it shouldn't be too long before SlimServer is running on it.
Anyone know how much RAM is in the LS Pro line? This information is conspicuously absent from the product data sheet at their website. According to linkstationwiki.net (http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Information/LSPROOverview) the processor is 400 MHz Marvell's ARM-compliant Feroceon. Presumably that's faster than the 266MHz PowerPC that is in the current LS Gigabit line, although I honestly don't know how much faster, as they are different families.

While I agree that someone will probably _eventually_ come up with hacked firmware to open the LS Pro so that a user can install slimserver, I would expect we're talking months, not days or weeks. These are usually spare time activities, and I know I would want to have other people be the first guinea pigs.

I've used those same instructions as the OP to install slimserver on my LinkStation, and it worked just fine, as it has for several others. If you follow things step by step you'll be fine. But if it looks too intimidating, look for one of the NAS boxes that explicitly supports slimserver, like Infrant and Qnap.

You could also consider a KuroBox ([url]www.kurobox.com/url]), which is basically a LinkStation without the hard drive. You have to install the hard drive yourself, but the advantage to that is that you don't need to circumvent the closed system that is typical of most NASs.

Good luck.

ultra238a
2006-08-01, 06:32
Forget the rest, Qnap is best - but then I am going to say that aren't I :)

Currently you can only buy a TS-101 with pre-installed SlimServer from us or one of our retailers. We hopfully will be able to offer end-users the ability to update their Qnap TS-101's themselves by the end of August/summer for a nominal fee.

And if this does sub-forum does turn in to a Qnap advert it is only because I am SOOOOO active in supporting our product :)

Feel free to ask.

firestorm
2006-08-07, 15:17
hi ultra238,

do the ts101 you sell with slimserver retain it's built in functions ?
what happens to updates from qnap ? will they overwrite the SS code?
what happens if I decide to upgrade the hard disk ?
can I expand the storage by plugging in USB drives ?
can these drives be in fat32 format, so that I can use it on a windows box ?

any updates on just purchasing the firmware to install yourself?

Thanks

FPP
2006-08-07, 16:43
I'm currently running off a ReadyNAS X6, without their embedded Slimserver however.

So far no real issues although it is a lttle noisy with three drives installed.

It's also very imporatnt to comply with their list of supported drives. I found out the hard way it doesn't support WD 500 GB drives.

Fifer
2006-08-08, 00:38
do the ts101 you sell with slimserver retain it's built in functions ?
what happens to updates from qnap ? will they overwrite the SS code?
what happens if I decide to upgrade the hard disk ?
can I expand the storage by plugging in USB drives ?
can these drives be in fat32 format, so that I can use it on a windows box ?

any updates on just purchasing the firmware to install yourself?

Thanks
I'm using one of Paul's TS-101s with slimserver installed and all the other functions are available. Mine doubles as a wireless network print server.
The Qnap updates are firmware whilst slimserver is an application which is stored on the drive. People have installed Qnap updates directly downloaded from the Qnap site with no issues, but Paul tends to test them first just to be sure then makes them available on the Progressive AV Qnap update site.
If you update the hard drive, you have to get Slimserver reinstalled. Paul provides this service for Progressive customers.
You can increase storage by plugging in USB drives. I believe there's a Qnap USB drive case being released to match the TS-101.
I'm not sure if the USB drives can be FAT32 format but I'm sure someone else will answer that point.

I'll add one more vote for the TS-101. One of my better purchases. It just works. Now, if only I could make a decision about the Transporter ...

gMoney
2006-12-05, 13:06
Considering purchasing a 2T TeraStation NAS and want to make sure slimserver works on it. Anyone have any experience with this NAS system & slimserver compatability. Thanks in advance for your help.

SPECS:
Network Cards 1 x Gigabit Ethernet IEEE 802.3ab 10/100/1000Mbps RJ-45
Interfaces/Ports 1 x RJ-45 Network
4 x 4-pin Type A USB 2.0
Protocols TCP/IP, SMB, FTP
Hard Drive 4 x 500GB Standard
Manufacturer Buffalo Technology
Manufacturer Part Number HD-H2.0TGL/R5
Standard Warranty 1 Year(s) Limited
Form Factor External
Management Easy setup wizard and management through intuitive web interface
Product Name TeraStation NAS