PDA

View Full Version : Difference between favorites and playlists?

chris.mason
2006-07-28, 09:44
OK, so this probably sounds like a really dumb question.
Is the only difference that from the player itself (SBx/softsqueeze) you can catch a radio station/track/whatever you like a capture it as a favourite?

From the web interface, you can save playlists anyway, so I don't see the advantage of favorites.

Thanks for any comments.

rick's cafe
2006-07-28, 09:51
favourites are great for listing internet radio stations for quick access.. also if listening to tunes via random mix you can add a specific song as a favourite for easy reference at later date

chris.mason
2006-07-28, 09:54
The only advantage I could think of was for catching those tunes on random mix...
As for radio stations, I've used the radio playlist plugin, and more recently the excellent MyPicks plugin for organising radio stations.
I'm thinking of switching off the favorite plugin ya see, to stream line the SB3 menu, and operation (make it simple to use).

EricBergan
2006-07-28, 11:20
OK, so this probably sounds like a really dumb question.
Is the only difference that from the player itself (SBx/softsqueeze) you can catch a radio station/track/whatever you like a capture it as a favourite?

From the web interface, you can save playlists anyway, so I don't see the advantage of favorites.

Thanks for any comments.

In theory, you can also bind a playlist as a favorite, which then gives you one button access to a playlist from your remote control, without having to browse the menus. Important if your SB3 is hidden in a cabinet with an IR repeater.

In practice, there is a problem with big playlists that cause multiple minute delays before it starts playing. Supposedly fixed in the very latest 6.5 builds, but I haven't checked yet.

Dan Sully
2006-07-28, 11:30
6.5 is much improved in a lot of ways.

With Favorites, you can now store Albums, Artists, Genres, Tracks, Playlists (any), & Years as favorites. Just hold down the favorites button on the remote.

jjwrecker
2006-07-28, 22:24
The only advantage I could think of was for catching those tunes on random mix...
As for radio stations, I've used the radio playlist plugin, and more recently the excellent MyPicks plugin for organising radio stations.
I'm thinking of switching off the favorite plugin ya see, to stream line the SB3 menu, and operation (make it simple to use).

Where and what is the great MyPicks plug in? I checked out SlimDevices plug ins but didn't see it listed. I am running 6.3.1

kdf
2006-07-28, 22:37
use 'mypicks' in the forum search input and you'll find out.
-k

Ramage
2006-07-28, 22:41
MyPicks plugin posted at:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=24797

I use this all the time for both internet radio stations and playlists.

chris.mason
2006-07-29, 11:42
MyPicks "rawks", as they say.

Triode
2006-07-29, 14:37
Good to see people like MyPicks.

Do people see this as something which happily co-exists with favourites, or could there functionality be merged? If so how would people see this working? [I ask as it was an idea which was tentatively discussed a while ago with Dean.]

BTW - if you like MyPicks, why not also install WikiRadio and upload your radio faviourites for others to access.

[both plugins available from: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?WikiRadio]

Adrian

atlslim
2006-07-29, 17:03
Do people see this as something which happily co-exists with favourites, or could there functionality be merged?

I use both - Favorites as pretty much the family's combined "most listened to" list (10 - 20 entries at most); one step to access - it is the home page for my wife on the Nokia770.

MyPicks offers more choices via its folders/menu structure - each family member can have their own menu(s) w/in MyPicks. I guess Favorites could be a top level menu, but IMO both should exist as separate items.

Keep up the good work!!

chris.mason
2006-07-30, 02:26
What I really love about MyPick is its configurability - the way you can create well structured menus, and the ease with which you can move items/delete items.

I hadn't thought of creating custom menus for family members! Obvious really.

I think favourites is probably one of those things that I will use more (or the family will) over time. I definately see an opportunity for merging favourites and mypicks, or perhaps extending mypicks with favs functionality. I would think this would mean extending the "music types" from radio streams and remote lists to include tracks from the local library. Perhaps this would also require an option in Slim to replace or over-ride (or perhaps sit along side) the existing "send to favourites" option you get in the SB3 menus (i.e when you click "right" when viewing a track in the SB).

Chris.

chris.mason
2006-07-30, 02:31
I forgot to say, I also use the wikiradio plugin, which is also a great idea. However, I have it de-selected in the list of internet radio stations. I discovered that this meant the plugin is still available to be used by other plugins, but doesn't appear in the list of internet radio stations. I like that because I'm keen on keeping my menu lists as clean and simple as possible to aid rapid navigation.

I use MyPicks opml editor to add the stations from wikiradio that I like (as the plugin is available to be used by mypicks), and potentially upload to wikiradio as well.

Chris.

bruce
2007-07-20, 16:07
6.5 is much improved in a lot of ways.

With Favorites, you can now store Albums, Artists, Genres, Tracks, Playlists (any), & Years as favorites. Just hold down the favorites button on the remote.

Thanks for the tip. A clarification to help anyone else: Before holding down the Favorites button, you need to display the playlist name (not the Now Playing display that you see while the playlist is playing).