PDA

View Full Version : Access mp3tunes from squeezebox

mikaellowgren
2006-07-28, 02:54
Hi.

I logged in to my SqueezeNetwork account.
Under accounts I entered my mp3tunes username and password.

Then I would expect a new menue alternative on my squeezebox or something, but I can't find where to access my locker from my squeezebox.

Does anyone know how to do that?

Regards, Mikael

andyg
2006-07-28, 06:06
On Jul 28, 2006, at 5:54 AM, mikaellowgren wrote:

>
> Hi.
>
> I logged in to my SqueezeNetwork account.
> Under accounts I entered my mp3tunes username and password.
>
> Then I would expect a new menue alternative on my squeezebox or
> something, but I can't find where to access my locker from my
> squeezebox.
>
> Does anyone know how to do that?

Sorry, that option was enabled by mistake. This feature is not quite
ready yet, but stay tuned. :)

Mark Lanctot
2006-07-28, 06:17
Andy:

Don't mean to get you in trouble for leaking anything, but once this gets out it will be BIG!!!

Since I've never heard of mp3tunes before I googled it. Whoa. Thought is was another paid-for music site but it isn't! Answers a long-running request from many users.

mikaellowgren
2006-08-02, 23:57
Andy:

Don't mean to get you in trouble for leaking anything, but once this gets out it will be BIG!!!

Since I've never heard of mp3tunes before I googled it. Whoa. Thought is was another paid-for music site but it isn't! Answers a long-running request from many users.

I actually never heard about mp3tunes before either. Since I'm a SB-junky and noticed a new account type on the snetwork I signed up for mp3tunes.

Often when I play from mp3tunes the sound is choppy. I don't know if that has to do with bad bandwith on mp3tunes.com, but I guess the whole service is a bit too young to function in practise with SB...

Hope it gets better though since the idea is truly good.
(Finally I could put all my CD's in the cellar and not have a PC with a noisy fan)

If they could fix playing of locked m4p files, there would allmost be nothing to complain about.

Anyway I can't wait for you to enable the service for SNetwrk. Keep up the good work!

/Mikael

bmnbmn
2006-08-03, 22:56
YES! YES! YES!
I can't wait. I was hoping for a plugin from someone (no skills here) but sticking it on SqueezeNetwork is even better.

mikaellowgren
2006-08-31, 04:31
On Jul 28, 2006, at 5:54 AM,

Hi,

is this feature planned for release anytime soon?
Is there a date for the release?

/Mikael

autopilot
2006-08-31, 06:31
Wow, this does look good. And i guess you can log into other people accounts if they let you have the login and password?

mikaellowgren
2006-08-31, 06:58
Wow, this does look good. And i guess you can log into other people accounts if they let you have the login and password?

Actually I think mp3tunes.com restrict the number of "open connections" to two. (Think I read that somewhere on their support sections)

/Mikael

autopilot
2006-08-31, 08:50
Actually I think mp3tunes.com restrict the number of "open connections" to two. (Think I read that somewhere on their support sections)

/Mikael

So basically, you can as long as one session. So a friend could come around and play his music through my SB3? That sounds excellent.

mikaellowgren
2006-09-05, 05:38
So basically, you can as long as one session. So a friend could come around and play his music through my SB3? That sounds excellent.

I wonder why mp3tunes isn't listed as partner to slimdevices?

/Mikael

mikaellowgren
2006-10-19, 01:29
On Jul 28, 2006, at 5:54 AM, mikaellowgren wrote:

Hi, what's the status so far.
Is there any planned release yet? I can't wait :-)

Thanks, Mikael

bmnbmn
2006-10-19, 12:17
+1
My digital music without a computer would be massive shift in the experience.

ian_heys
2006-12-09, 04:37
On Jul 28, 2006, at 14:06

Do we still need to be tuned-in or have developments taken a different turn.

Was hoping to get a mp3tunes subscription for Christmas if Squeeze Network was compatible.

brdbointx
2007-01-28, 01:33
Do we still need to be tuned-in or have developments taken a different turn.

Was hoping to get a mp3tunes subscription for Christmas if Squeeze Network was compatible.

I just got a note from mp3tunes saying that they are working on the integration now and we should see it very soon

ian_heys
2007-01-29, 01:12
Thanks for the update.

mattybain
2007-02-07, 09:20
I just got a note from mp3tunes saying that they are working on the integration now and we should see it very soon

But how soon is soon?

I have been experimenting with Mp3Tunes and it is an excellent service. Is taking about 100 years to upload my music (120gb) but it is very responsive.

They also seem to have given me an unlimited account for free which is welcome news.

mattybain
2007-02-12, 13:57
It just gets better, MP3Tunes have just announced free unlimited storage for all. Perfect for a remote backup of your music.

I kept wondering why I could go past the 1gb limit and now I know why.

I have been seriously impressed with this service in terms of reliability and speed. I just hope it doesn't go the same way as the original mp3.com which was a very similar service. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mp3.com

Now all we need is SqueezeNetwork connectivity!!

hunta
2007-02-13, 11:54
It just gets better, MP3Tunes have just announced free unlimited storage for all. Perfect for a remote backup of your music.

I thought exactly the same thing, but then found that mp3tunes would only take tracks up to a certain size. I didn't establish exactly what that length was, but it wasn't overly massive. Each time I tried to sync it would go through the process of uploading those tracks first before moving on to do other stuff, and then rejecting them again once the sync had finished. Argghh!

I stumped up the $40 to get around this, so SqueezeNetwork integration better be round the corner pretty soon!

azinck3
2007-02-13, 12:34
I thought exactly the same thing, but then found that mp3tunes would only take tracks up to a certain size. I didn't establish exactly what that length was, but it wasn't overly massive. Each time I tried to sync it would go through the process of uploading those tracks first before moving on to do other stuff, and then rejecting them again once the sync had finished. Argghh!

The free version maxes out at 10mb/track, while the pay version allows up to 50mb/track.

mattybain
2007-02-13, 14:49
I stumped up the $40 to get around this, so SqueezeNetwork integration better be round the corner pretty soon!

Got this response to a question about this on the MP3Tunes support forum yesterday "All I can say is, stay tuned to our Announcement forum for any developments ;)".

Sounds promising.

andyg
2007-03-22, 10:47
OK, we're finally ready to let some people in to try out a beta version of our MP3tunes support on SqueezeNetwork. :)

If you're interested, please send me a private message with your SN email address in the subject.

Instructions for accessing the beta after I've granted your access:

* Make sure you have the latest firmware (76 or 29).
* On the SN main menu, you will see a new menu item "Connect to SN Beta Server".
* Select this menu item to be reconnected to the beta server. You'll know it worked if you see the main menu title of "SqueezeNetwork - Beta".
* Enter your MP3tunes account information on the MP3tunes account tab on the SN website.
* Access the "MP3tunes Oboe Locker" menu item on your player or from the Browse webpage.

Some notes:
mp3, ogg, and wma files of any bitrate will be streamed natively to your player. Any other formats will be transcoded by the mp3tunes server into 128k mp3.

As this is a beta server, it may be less stable than the production SN servers.

brdbointx
2007-03-22, 21:13
At 12:07 EST using SB3 wireless --

In SN user account web page entered mp3tunes username and password and hit save.

Logged into Squeeze Network

Scroll to SN beta Serve

Scroll right to activate

Line moves to left as if connecting and squeezebox immediatly disconnects and goes to set-up page asking if I want to connect to slimserver, squeeze network, setup networking, etc.

Have repeated the login 10 times - same results.

andyg
2007-03-22, 21:16
Yeah that's why I mentioned you should have the latest firmware. :) The ability to switch servers was only added recently. Press and hold brightness on SN to get the latest, then it should work.

brdbointx
2007-03-22, 21:22
OK will do

brdbointx
2007-03-22, 21:31
Yeah that's why I mentioned you should have the latest firmware. :) The ability to switch servers was only added recently. Press and hold brightness on SN to get the latest, then it should work.

I connected and have firmware 76 - checked on the readout. I get the same problem. Connects to SN - go to Beta server and then disconnect and back to the option of what I want to sign in or setup

andyg
2007-03-22, 21:52
Crap I wish I could reproduce that one.

Here are the steps to manually connect:

* Hold left to go to the firmware setup menu.
* Select Current Settings.
* Find the SlimServer item and press right.
* Change the IP address to 207.007.156.011 and press right.
* Press left to exit the settings menu and the find this SlimServer address and press right to connect.

SubFuze
2007-03-22, 23:02
I'm up and running just fine but I've noticed a few problems. First - the first song I started playing started with a loud pop, replaying the same track again didn't. Second - International characters don't work. For instance, Björk becomes Bj\u0072006b0000 in the artist browse and Bj\u00f6rk on the next level down (ie - Debut by Bj\u00f6rk). Otherwise things seem to be generally fine in the short while I've been playing with it.

brdbointx
2007-03-23, 08:34
Crap I wish I could reproduce that one.

Here are the steps to manually connect:

* Hold left to go to the firmware setup menu.
* Select Current Settings.
* Find the SlimServer item and press right.
* Change the IP address to 207.007.156.011 and press right.
* Press left to exit the settings menu and the find this SlimServer address and press right to connect.

Yeah well - I can do it on both of my devices. Let me know if there is anything I can give you to help figure it out.

In the meantime your fix worked beautifully. OMG - I AM LOVING THIS! This is truly a great addittion to the box. I am one of those who would like to totally be away from my computer - so this has potential. So far I have been playing it for an hour without incident. I have been mixing and matching songs from mp3tunes & rhapsody and skipping back and forth in the playlist -- no problems. Good work Andy and thanks.

Will you be able to use the search function on this service?

andyg
2007-03-23, 08:50
On Mar 23, 2007, at 8:34 AM, brdbointx wrote:

> Will you be able to use the search function on this service?

There's no search function in their API but I will ask if it's
something they plan to add.

brdbointx
2007-03-23, 09:03
On Mar 23, 2007, at 8:34 AM, brdbointx wrote:

> Will you be able to use the search function on this service?

There's no search function in their API but I will ask if it's
something they plan to add.

OK - Andy, this is a rudimentary question, but it is not a feature I typically used or looked for before. Can you created playlists from mixed sources (say rhapsody track and mp3tunes) and then save them on SN? If so - how do you do that?

mherger
2007-03-23, 10:36
> Second - International characters don't work.

I can confirm this.

Another issue: when I hit play on an artist, I get a "playlist not found"
plus an IP address which must be from your network. Play on an album does
work, of course.

BTW: I'll change the translation for XML_LOADING in the trunk. It's not
apropriate any more the more XMLBrowser is used. I only notice when
browsing mp3tunes...

This is very promising!

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

andyg
2007-03-23, 10:41
On Mar 23, 2007, at 10:36 AM, Michael Herger wrote:

>> Second - International characters don't work.
>
> I can confirm this.

Yeah I believe there's still an encoding issue on the mp3tunes side.

>
> Another issue: when I hit play on an artist, I get a "playlist not
> found"
> plus an IP address which must be from your network. Play on an
> album does
> work, of course.

Hmm, play should just be a noop or work like 'right', I'll look into
it. I'm thinking of a way to support that though. It should
actually be fairly easy with mp3tunes because you can get all tracks
by an artist with a single API call.

brdbointx
2007-03-23, 17:09
Using the Squeezenetwork beta to access Oboe locker I added approx 50 files from my locker and have been listening to them. I am now on the second round of listening.

Navigate to mp3tunes_Playlists_Recently played

The songs listed are not the songs that were just played.

I went to the web - these are the last songs that I played in the web based player on mp3tunes last week.

I would assume that the two should work in synch - as in whatever song played last wherever then it would be shown on either forum as being the last song.

The value? I was using it as a way to go on the web and through mp3tunes save a playlist of the songs I just played by doing ADD to the now playing list.

brdbointx
2007-03-23, 17:12
In a list of approx 50 files - all mp3 in the now playing list, 4 songs were qued up and simply hung at DOWNLOADING but the progress bar never moved. After waiting for approx 2 minutes on each one I clicked forward and the next track started immediately. None of the tracks in question were over 6 megs.

Also, I have identified 1 mp3 files that makes a loud pop when it starts--one of those tinny sounding ones - then just starts playing from the beginning perfectly. I downloaded it in case you want to see it. I checked it on the web based player and directly on my home player -- it does not do it there.

andyg
2007-03-23, 18:42
On Mar 23, 2007, at 5:09 PM, brdbointx wrote:

>
> Using the Squeezenetwork beta to access Oboe locker I added approx 50
> files from my locker and have been listening to them. I am now on the
> second round of listening.
>
> Navigate to mp3tunes_Playlists_Recently played
>
> The songs listed are not the songs that were just played.

This is a good question, I'll pass it along. In order for this to
work we'd have to report every track that you play back up to their
servers I guess.

studley
2007-03-25, 11:16
So far my testing of MP3Tunes is going great. I have a couple of issues (suggestions?) using the web interface. You may be intentionally skipping these features for now, but I thought I'd identify what I see as missing. Take it for what it's worth.

1) no forward or reverse track buttons?

2) no cover art? MP3tunes features the ability to find artwork for you, so I'm surprised they aren't providing it here.

3) no ability to see the next tracks in playlist. you only see what is playing.

4) the song title, artist, and album are duplicated in the web player. once in italics, once in standard text.

5) repeat playlist on/off. at the very least, I think the default should be off.

Thanks for all the great stuff!

D.

andyg
2007-03-26, 11:46
On Mar 23, 2007, at 5:09 PM, brdbointx wrote:

>
> Using the Squeezenetwork beta to access Oboe locker I added approx 50
> files from my locker and have been listening to them. I am now on the
> second round of listening.
>
> Navigate to mp3tunes_Playlists_Recently played
>
> The songs listed are not the songs that were just played.

This is a good question, I'll pass it along. In order for this to
work we'd have to report every track that you play back up to their
servers I guess.

The word from the guys at mp3tunes is that there was a bug on their end causing the playlist to not update properly. It should be fixed soon.

brdbointx
2007-03-26, 12:06
Using oboe server scroll to artist - press the 6 button 3 times to get to "O" -- hangs on M.

Try again - stays on M

Push 2 to jump to A

Push 6 and Get M - push 6 again and get N push 6 again -- stays at N

Yes, there are files begining with M n and O

This behavior can be repeated over and over but without a particular order or logic.

brdbointx
2007-03-26, 12:07
The word from the guys at mp3tunes is that there was a bug on their end causing the playlist to not update properly. It should be fixed soon.

That's great to know - it is a good feature to have---parity that is

brdbointx
2007-03-26, 12:43
On other service offering when you go to an artist you get a choice of ALL ARTIST SONGS as well as the artist albums. Since you mentioned that MP3tunes passes you all the songs, could you add a line item on top of the list that gives us the option of seeing all the artist songs when we first right nav off an artist name? This is certainly easier for people on services like this where you might have only a few track from a scattered number of albums that represent your total interest in the artist. In the absebce I have to do the following (example):

artist___ Album 1___SOng 1 ---ADD
artist___ Album 1___SOng 2 ---ADD
artist___ Album 2___SOng 1 ---ADD
artist___ Album 2___SOng 2 DOn't want this one so won't add it
artist___ Album 3___SOng 1 ---ADD

19 steps vs 7 steps if there were a list

I understand that you could hit PLAY on the artist's name - but that assumes I want to play everything--this assumes I want to play some of the songs from multiple albums

Thanks for the consideration.

brdbointx
2007-03-26, 12:47
I cannot reproduce this on command, but I have experienced it 5 times today during my playing and navigating.

When logged onto the beta server and in MP3TUNES OBOE server I am choose Artist. Music is currently playing in the playlist from OBOE. As I scroll through the list of artist names (1982 artists) the Squeezebox suddenly flashes - the text flips left and I appear back at the front page of the beta server on NOW PLAYING

All I can think of is that the scrolling somehow triggers it -- I will keep trying to reproduce it.

andyg
2007-03-26, 13:01
On Mar 26, 2007, at 3:47 PM, brdbointx wrote:

>
> I cannot reproduce this on command, but I have experienced it 5 times
> today during my playing and navigating.
>
> When logged onto the beta server and in MP3TUNES OBOE server I am
> choose Artist. Music is currently playing in the playlist from
> OBOE. As
> I scroll through the list of artist names (1982 artists) the
> Squeezebox
> suddenly flashes - the text flips left and I appear back at the front
> page of the beta server on NOW PLAYING
>
> All I can think of is that the scrolling somehow triggers it -- I will
> keep trying to reproduce it.

This is most likely a normal server restart, and your player got
bumped to another server. I was rolling out a Pandora fix just a
short while ago and so you may have seen it more than usual.

ian_heys
2007-03-27, 23:24
Working fine here in UK.

Slight delay when loading artist or album list and slight delay when hitting play button otherwise very stable when streaming.

Have turned off my server and now keep it as back-up.

Also BBC WM streams can be played as favourites without Alien BBC and with better audio quality than the Real Media streams.

Menu editing on Squeezenetwork is next logical development for me.

mherger
2007-03-27, 23:28
> Working fine here in UK.

CH as well - at last a service which does work on our side of the pond :-)

> Slight delay when loading artist or album list and slight delay when
> hitting play button otherwise very stable when streaming.

Also the gaps between songs aren't as long as skipping. I was positively
surprised while listening to a live recording. Yesterday I finished
uploading 38GB of mp3 files...

--

Michael

brdbointx
2007-03-28, 12:24
Andy - sorry if you saw this - I posted it a few days ago and thought it might have gotten lost in the shuffle. I think it is a pretty reasonable question on functionality as we are in the beta. Do you have any thoughts?

On other service offering when you go to an artist you get a choice of ALL ARTIST SONGS as well as the artist albums. Since you mentioned that MP3tunes passes you all the songs, could you add a line item on top of the list that gives us the option of seeing all the artist songs when we first right nav off an artist name? This is certainly easier for people on services like this where you might have only a few track from a scattered number of albums that represent your total interest in the artist. In the absebce I have to do the following (example):

artist___ Album 1___SOng 1 ---ADD
artist___ Album 1___SOng 2 ---ADD
artist___ Album 2___SOng 1 ---ADD
artist___ Album 2___SOng 2 DOn't want this one so won't add it
artist___ Album 3___SOng 1 ---ADD

19 steps vs 7 steps if there were a list

I understand that you could hit PLAY on the artist's name - but that assumes I want to play everything--this assumes I want to play some of the songs from multiple albums

Thanks for the consideration.

andyg
2007-03-28, 12:55
On Mar 28, 2007, at 3:24 PM, brdbointx wrote:

>
> Andy - sorry if you saw this - I posted it a few days ago and
> thought it
> might have gotten lost in the shuffle. I think it is a pretty
> reasonable
> question on functionality as we are in the beta. Do you have any
> thoughts?

Yes it's a good idea and I added it to my todo list. Sorry for not
responding. :)

brdbointx
2007-03-28, 13:29
On Mar 28, 2007, at 3:24 PM, brdbointx wrote:

>
> Andy - sorry if you saw this - I posted it a few days ago and
> thought it
> might have gotten lost in the shuffle. I think it is a pretty
> reasonable
> question on functionality as we are in the beta. Do you have any
> thoughts?

Yes it's a good idea and I added it to my todo list. Sorry for not
responding. :)

Cool - thank you

brdbointx
2007-03-28, 13:40
Navigate to Oboe locker_artist
Choose and artist

I had been on an artist who actually had the same name as his album (it was Biscuit Boy_Biscuit Boy).

Wanting to play the whole album I hit PLAY when on the Artist name

I received UNABLE TO PLAY and a web address

Even thought this was a user error, I realized that this operation SHOULD play all album and all songs by that artist.

andyg
2007-03-28, 13:50
On Mar 28, 2007, at 4:40 PM, brdbointx wrote:

>
> Navigate to Oboe locker_artist
> Choose and artist
>
> I had been on an artist who actually had the same name as his album
> (it
> was Biscuit Boy_Biscuit Boy).
>
> Wanting to play the whole album I hit PLAY when on the Artist name
>
> I received UNABLE TO PLAY and a web address
>
> Even thought this was a user error, I realized that this operation
> SHOULD play all album and all songs by that artist.

Play on an artist name is not yet implemented.

brdbointx
2007-03-28, 14:45
Play on an artist name is not yet implemented.

Good to know - thanks

brdbointx
2007-03-29, 18:48
I was taken by surprise this afternoon when I logged onto the beta server and all the menus changed - but it is terrific! Kudos on organizing it. It makes a lot more sense. I like that things don't repeat in every single place.

Now, saying that I am going to contradict myself in this suggestion. Do you think it might be a good idea to put My Rhapsody Library under My Music? My logic being that Rhapsody has two entry points really: the My Library (songs you specifically have pulled aside) and the whole ball of wax. Wouldn't you consider the Rhapsody My Library to be, in essence, "My music too"?

I don't know if it is possible for you to Go from a Starting Point of MY LIBRARY and then it work work like normal - Artist, albums, playlists, etc.

Maybe you agree - maybe you don't. Just thought I would offer the thought.

But again - great new organization

andyg
2007-03-29, 18:50
On Mar 29, 2007, at 9:48 PM, brdbointx wrote:

>
> I was taken by surprise this afternoon when I logged onto the beta
> server and all the menus changed - but it is terrific! Kudos on
> organizing it. It makes a lot more sense. I like that things don't
> repeat in every single place.
>
> Now, saying that I am going to contradict myself in this
> suggestion. Do
> you think it might be a good idea to put My Rhapsody Library under My
> Music? My logic being that Rhapsody has two entry points really:
> the My
> Library (songs you specifically have pulled aside) and the whole
> ball of
> wax. Wouldn't you consider the Rhapsody My Library to be, in essence,
> "My music too"?
>
> I don't know if it is possible for you to Go from a Starting Point of
> MY LIBRARY and then it work work like normal - Artist, albums,
> playlists, etc.
>
> Maybe you agree - maybe you don't. Just thought I would offer the
> thought.

That's a good idea, it should be easy enough to have it jump directly
to My Library.

stroom
2007-04-02, 08:39
I am just starting to use mp3tunes, and uploaded my first Gb of music. Streaming from the SN works like a charm.
Now I am waiting for the upgrade to unlimited ...
Since I have still another 15Gb or so to upload, the following:
Can anyone comment on the upload speed? Mine is around 15kB/s, which is limited by my DSL subscription. I wonder if I would change to a higher bandwidth DSL subscription if this is usefull for upsync or would I be limited by the oboe /mp3 locker server.

thanks,
stroom

mherger
2007-04-02, 09:01
> Can anyone comment on the upload speed? Mine is around 15kB/s, which is
> limited by my DSL subscription. I wonder if I would change to a higher
> bandwidth DSL subscription if this is usefull for upsync or would I be
> limited by the oboe /mp3 locker server.

I uploaded from two different places, one with 10000/1000 cable, the other
with 3000/3000 SDSL. The first uploaded at about 85kB/s, the second with
150kB/s. No doubt you can still go faster than 15kB/s.

--

Michael

studley
2007-04-03, 18:04
I'm out of town and took a SB3 with me. I have connected to the wireless network here and am able to run Rhapsody, etc. via SqueezeNetwork. But when I try to connect to SN Beta (to get to MP3Tunes), I am returned to the initial prompts (to set up my network). After completing them, I am returned to the original (non SN Beta) menu.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
D.

andyg
2007-04-03, 18:05
On Apr 3, 2007, at 9:04 PM, studley wrote:

>
> I'm out of town and took a SB3 with me. I have connected to the
> wireless network here and am able to run Rhapsody, etc. via
> SqueezeNetwork. But when I try to connect to SN Beta (to get to
> MP3Tunes), I am returned to the initial prompts (to set up my
> network).
> After completing them, I am returned to the original (non SN Beta)
> menu.

Update your firmware while connected to SN.

studley
2007-04-03, 18:28
I'm now 81 (I was 76). Still the same activity. If this is just a quirk of being on the beta... I'll live w/o MP3Tunes for the week. I don't need to waste your time.

But, if you think this is an issue worth persuing, I'm happy to work on it further. Let me know.

Thanks,
D.

andyg
2007-04-03, 18:36
On Apr 3, 2007, at 9:28 PM, studley wrote:

>
> I'm now 81 (I was 76). Still the same activity. If this is just a
> quirk of being on the beta... I'll live w/o MP3Tunes for the week. I
> don't need to waste your time.
>
> But, if you think this is an issue worth persuing, I'm happy to
> work on
> it further. Let me know.

Hmm, this must be something caused by your network settings, cause
most people have no problem and I haven't ever been able to reproduce.

But you can use the manual connection instructions posted earlier in
this thread:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=189650

ian_heys
2007-04-04, 00:03
Intermittently getting this problem for couple of days.

Working OK at the moment so can't get error message but display says something about "Cannot parse - JSON error" when it occurs.

Only a problem on Artists.

Albums and Playlists continue to work OK.

Any ideas?

andyg
2007-04-04, 06:05
On Apr 4, 2007, at 3:03 AM, ian_heys wrote:

>
> Intermittently getting this problem for couple of days.
>
> Working OK at the moment so can't get error message but display says
> something about "Cannot parse - JSON error" when it occurs.
>
> Only a problem on Artists.
>
> Albums and Playlists continue to work OK.
>
> Any ideas?

And it'll work if you try it again? I'll try to reproduce.

ian_heys
2007-04-04, 10:36
Andy

It's been solid all day I'll post again with better error description if it re-occurs.

brdbointx
2007-04-05, 17:47
Andy - oddest thing -

I have had three Squeezebox 3's running on the beta server since you starter this whole thing. The first night my first device would not connect - it kept popping me back out and disconnecting and putting me in the firmware setup menu - even though I had firmware 76. The other two devices actually connected correctly - from the normal squeezenetwork I click connect to betaserver and I am in.

Tonight I did the firmware upgrade by doing bright on squeezenetwork. I am on v 81.

First thing that was odd -- when it restarted I had to re-enter all my info for wireless again. BUT HERE IS THE ODD PART...

Now that I went back to Squeeze network and clicked on Connect to Beta server----it popped me off and put me back to the set up menu! The same behavior I had on the first device! This one had worked perfectly. I had no choice but to do the hack of entering the separate server IP.

I have one left --- what to do?

Do you think it has something to do with what screen the firmware upgrade is done from? i.e. - should I hit bright while logged into regular SN and not Beta server? Should it make a difference? I know that I did this last device on the regular SN.

On a lighter note -- LOVED the My Rhapsody library under My Music - that is awesome. You rock. I am still anxiously waiting to see "ALL SONGS" as the first choice when I go from Oboe Lock_Artist_ to the album list. That will be sweet.

Hope you can figure out the beta connection issue

andyg
2007-04-05, 18:09
On Apr 5, 2007, at 8:47 PM, brdbointx wrote:

> Do you think it has something to do with what screen the firmware
> upgrade is done from? i.e. - should I hit bright while logged into
> regular SN and not Beta server? Should it make a difference? I know
> that I did this last device on the regular SN.

I really don't know about this one. I'm not too worried as not many
people use the beta server, but it is certainly a valid bug we need
to track down at some point.

>
> On a lighter note -- LOVED the My Rhapsody library under My Music -
> that is awesome. You rock. I am still anxiously waiting to see "ALL
> SONGS" as the first choice when I go from Oboe Lock_Artist_ to the
> album list. That will be sweet.

This has just been added. :) It's the last item after an artist's
album list, to match what SlimServer does.

brdbointx
2007-04-05, 18:43
Kinda figured the beta server wasn't a big issue.

Thanks for the all songs --- I'm afraid to ask for stuff now cause I think I will be saddened the day you all don't go "Hey sure - we'll see what we can do" :-)

brdbointx
2007-04-05, 18:47
Having gone back and added the beta server manually I logged in. I just now went to My Music - slimserver to connect to the slimerserver here on my network.

The squeezenetwork beta server says "Logging off squeezenetwork" and then I get Now Playing - but I am back on the squeezenetwork

andyg
2007-04-05, 19:05
On Apr 5, 2007, at 9:47 PM, brdbointx wrote:

>
> Having gone back and added the beta server manually I logged in. I
> just
> now went to My Music - slimserver to connect to the slimerserver here
> on my network.
>
> The squeezenetwork beta server says "Logging off squeezenetwork" and
> then I get Now Playing - but I am back on the squeezenetwork

Yep that's a side effect of manually entering the beta IP as your
SlimServer.

andyg
2007-04-07, 08:25
We're trying to get to the bottom of the bug where "Switch to SN Beta" doesn't work and dumps you back to the setup screen.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4893

Please include your firmware version, and list the network settings of your player. If everyone that has this problem could go add your info to this bug, it may help track down the problem.

gbruzzo
2007-04-08, 04:16

Andy,

currently transfering my collection to Mp3tunes.com (at 75kb/sec it probably will take 10/12 days...)
Managed to connect, using Slimserver 6.5.2 and firmware version 29 on Transporter.

Sound is definitely a little more "tinny" than when using Slimserver, but still, Mp3tunes is an amazing party-trick!

I have also been eagerly waiting for Mozilla Songbird (http://www.songbirdnest.com/) to mature - I believe they have a Mp3tunes plugin in the working, if not it soon will appear, because there already is a Firefox sideload plugin.
Interesting how my music-management framework is maturing, looks more and more like a hybrid of online and offline.

And at the center of all this....SLIMDEVICES!

Thanks again, I'm chuffed to bits!

Giacomo

andyg
2007-04-08, 05:16
Sound is definitely a little more "tinny" than when using Slimserver, but still, Mp3tunes is an amazing party-trick!

FYI, as long as you're using mp3, ogg, or wma, the tracks you hear from mp3tunes are your own files, there's no transcoding to a lower bitrate or anything like that. If you uploaded AAC files, they're transcoded to mp3.

gbruzzo
2007-04-08, 06:19
that's what I read on Mp3tunes.com
They are indeed mp3's, so it should not be the case-maybe it was one of my mental gremlins...
Still I have to wait quite some time to get my collection online...Started yesterday and have done only about 500 songs.../4gb of music. Extrapolating linearly it should take me about 15/20 days to upload everything. Oh well, worth the effort!

Question: will there ever be any Slimserver integration plugin for Songbird?

Thanks again for the super work-this is really a killer app!

Regards,

Giacomo

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-08, 06:46

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Songbird is the newer and less-developed application.

Songbird is interesting but I tried it out about 6 months ago (I think it was 0.3 beta?) and it was wayyyy too beta for me.

studley
2007-04-08, 06:49
On Apr 5, 2007, at 9:47 PM, brdbointx wrote:

>
> Having gone back and added the beta server manually I logged in. I
> just
> now went to My Music - slimserver to connect to the slimerserver here
> on my network.
>
> The squeezenetwork beta server says "Logging off squeezenetwork" and
> then I get Now Playing - but I am back on the squeezenetwork

Yep that's a side effect of manually entering the beta IP as your
SlimServer.

I wanted to help with bug 4893, but I, too, am unable to break SN Beta now that I have set up the IP manually. If there is a way to delete the manual settings, I have been unable to find it.

Thanks,
David

brdbointx
2007-04-08, 11:28
that's what I read on Mp3tunes.com
They are indeed mp3's, so it should not be the case-maybe it was one of my mental gremlins...
Still I have to wait quite some time to get my collection online...Started yesterday and have done only about 500 songs.../4gb of music. Extrapolating linearly it should take me about 15/20 days to upload everything. Oh well, worth the effort!

Thanks again for the super work-this is really a killer app!

Regards,

Giacomo

If you do a search I believe I read a quite exhaustive set of threads on Songbird a while ago. Don't quote me, but the impression I had was that while it was considered pretty neat, it was still very early in the process and the build themselves were still early alpha -- that in itself makes it a low priority for consideration until it has more confirmation of long-term stability and acceptance. Hope that helps - or atleast gets you to the search thread.

gbruzzo
2007-04-08, 11:57
I apreciate, thanks.

Giacomo

ian_heys
2007-04-13, 00:36
Updated my copy of 6.5.2 this morning and firmware updated when Squeezebox switched on.

Now get the above message when trying to connect to MP3Tunes.

Checked MP3Tunes settings on SqueezeNetwork.

Tried updating firmware from SqueezeNetwork Beta screen and still getting same message. (Firmware Version 81)

MP3 tunes still working from PC.

Any ideas?

SlimServer Version: 6.5.2 - 11753 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Server IP address: 192.168.1.23
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

ian_heys
2007-04-14, 00:30
Still have same problem 24 hours on.

One thing I have noticed - Album in "Now Playing" still plays but still can't login to MP3Tunes to browse Artists/Albums etc.

So permanently connected to same seven tracks at the moment.

stroom
2007-04-14, 01:07
It looks like mp3tunes will only be made available on SB when you have a premium mp3tunes account:

"... A Premium account is required to access your files on Internet capable devices such as the TiVo and Nokia N800 and Slim Devices Squeezebox. "

http://support.mp3tunes.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=123&nav=0,17

But so far it still works for free ...

ian_heys
2007-04-15, 00:46
Still have same problems.

Almost as though some flag in the server has become set to not allow my account.

Still playing "Now Playing" from MP3Tunes but won't login to change selection.

MP3Tunes fine on web browser.

andyg
2007-04-15, 11:06
Ian, is your player properly linked to your SqueezeNetwork account? I'm not sure why you'd get that message otherwise.

studley
2007-04-15, 18:05
Ian, is your player properly linked to your SqueezeNetwork account? I'm not sure why you'd get that message otherwise.

Andy, I just tried it and I am having the same problem. I noticed it a day or two ago, as well, but assumed that someone was just working on something there.

After logging into SN Beta, choose MP3Tunes and get message. It does work if you use the web interface and log an SB3 into SqueezeNetwork. Interestingly, it doesn't need to be SN Beta, just SN. Firmware is 81.

Let me know if you need more info.

D.

ian_heys
2007-04-16, 03:16
Thanks for the reply Andy.

Tried deleting SN connections and reconnecting and still getting same problem.

Plays my favourites OK and can be controlled from SN homepage so think it is properly connected but still getting the error message when trying to connect to MP3Tunes.

I'll wait for non-beta version now as I want to reload my MP3Tunes after consolidating the tags on my music collection.

andyg
2007-04-16, 09:02
On Apr 16, 2007, at 6:16 AM, ian_heys wrote:

>
> Thanks for the reply Andy.
>
> Tried deleting SN connections and reconnecting and still getting same
> problem.
>
> Plays my favourites OK and can be controlled from SN homepage so think
> it is properly connected but still getting the error message when
> trying to connect to MP3Tunes.
>
> I'll wait for non-beta version now as I want to reload my MP3Tunes
> after consolidating the tags on my music collection.

Can you please try again? I've added some more logging to try and
see what's going on.

studley
2007-04-16, 10:11
On Apr 16, 2007, at 6:16 AM, ian_heys wrote:

>
> Thanks for the reply Andy.
>
> Tried deleting SN connections and reconnecting and still getting same
> problem.
>
> Plays my favourites OK and can be controlled from SN homepage so think
> it is properly connected but still getting the error message when
> trying to connect to MP3Tunes.
>
> I'll wait for non-beta version now as I want to reload my MP3Tunes
> after consolidating the tags on my music collection.

Can you please try again? I've added some more logging to try and
see what's going on.

Hi Andy, I just went through it and got the error messages again. I'll try it frequently throughout the day until you say stop.

Cheers,
David

andyg
2007-04-16, 11:18
Great, I think I fixed the bug. Try again in about 5 minutes when the beta servers will have restarted.

studley
2007-04-16, 11:36
Great, I think I fixed the bug. Try again in about 5 minutes when the beta servers will have restarted.

Seems to be working again. Bravo and Thanks!

D.

ian_heys
2007-04-16, 13:08
Seems to have fixed it Andy.

Thanks for the help.

Ian

gbruzzo
2007-04-17, 11:48

Dear Andy,

Will Slimserver 6.5.2 (official release) be the first version of Slimserver supporting Mp3Tunes? And if so, do you have an approximate timeframe? (hope the question is not naive-might well be)

Cheers

Giacomo

(PS: just uploaded 50 gig of mp3, only 25 more to go...)

andyg
2007-04-17, 11:54
On Apr 17, 2007, at 2:48 PM, gbruzzo wrote:

>
> andyg;195415 Wrote:
>> Great, I think I fixed the bug. Try again in about 5 minutes when
>> the
>> beta servers will have restarted.
>
> Dear Andy,
>
> What version of Slimserver will officially introduce MP3tunes
> support-6.5.2? If so, any ideas of when?

It won't be any sooner than 7.0.

gbruzzo
2007-04-17, 15:54
Thanks

Really look forward to that time.

Cheers,

Giacomo

gmusser
2007-04-19, 09:10
When will that be? I'm holding off upgrading my v2 SqueezeBox to v3 to make sure that slimserver really will support mp3tunes.
George

andyg
2007-04-19, 09:41
On Apr 19, 2007, at 12:10 PM, gmusser wrote:

>
> When will that be? I'm holding off upgrading my v2 SqueezeBox to
> v3 to
> make sure that slimserver really will support mp3tunes.
> George

I don't understand what you mean. Squeezebox2 will play mp3tunes via
SqueezeNetwork just fine. And mp3tunes is not as useful on
SlimServer anyway since you already have all your local music
available. But it will get into 7.0, and may even make it into a 7.0
nightly relatively soon.

tooncinator
2007-04-21, 10:39
I am really enjoying the mp3tunes access via squeezebox. It's a great alternative to keeping the cpu running 24/7.

I am not sure if this is a bug or just my lack of understanding, but when I use the slimdevices remote to add songs/artists to my now-playing, I can scroll down the now playing list and see the other songs in the list, but only sometimes does it go to the next song, even when I press FWD button in other words it just keeps repeating the last song ad infinitum. If I scroll down and hit play, no problem.

The same thing also happens when I chose to play from a saved playlist. The first song just keeps repeating over and over again.

Am I missing something?

Ideas/questions - is there/will there be a way to build a playlist on the fly with the ADD button? is there /will there be a way to save playlists assembled on the fly? will genre info be added as a search function?

is there/will there be a way to search with more than one letter?

gmusser
2007-04-23, 05:24
On Apr 19, 2007, at 12:10 PM, gmusser wrote:

>
> When will that be? I'm holding off upgrading my v2 SqueezeBox to
> v3 to
> make sure that slimserver really will support mp3tunes.
> George

I don't understand what you mean. Squeezebox2 will play mp3tunes via
SqueezeNetwork just fine. And mp3tunes is not as useful on
SlimServer anyway since you already have all your local music
available. But it will get into 7.0, and may even make it into a 7.0
nightly relatively soon.

Oops, I mean to say my v1 Squeezebox. I never saw much need to upgrade to v2 or v3; mp3tunes would be the killer app for me.

I run SlimServer on a old LinkStation, but the LinkStation doesn't handle newer versions of the software, and the procedure for running the server on newer LinkStations is rather more involved. So mp3tunes would be a natural upgrade path.

George

gmusser
2007-05-05, 14:04
In any event, I see now that MP3tunes is accessible in 6.5.1. Thanks! It works like a charm.