PDA

View Full Version : Installing Multiplr versions of Slim?

NigelC
2006-07-27, 15:48
I have been running a version of 6.5 from late Feb quite successfully (mainly for Ben's excellent 770 skin). I have just tried the lastest 6.5, to get the latest 770 skin improvements, but the server keeps stopping for reasons I have yet to fathom.

It would be really useful if I could install the new version into a seperate folder, so I could revert to the previous install if I encounter problems, but then have the option to run up the new version to do some testing/debugging.

(or even better, to run two versions of Slim concurrently)

Any ideas on if/how this can be achieved

(Im running WinXP)

Thanks
Nigel

JJZolx
2006-07-27, 16:34
I have been running a version of 6.5 from late Feb quite successfully (mainly for Ben's excellent 770 skin). I have just tried the lastest 6.5, to get the latest 770 skin improvements, but the server keeps stopping for reasons I have yet to fathom.

It would be really useful if I could install the new version into a seperate folder, so I could revert to the previous install if I encounter problems, but then have the option to run up the new version to do some testing/debugging.

(or even better, to run two versions of Slim concurrently)

Any ideas on if/how this can be achieved

(Im running WinXP)
It's doable. Sort of... To do this on a single machine you need to give the server more than one IP address and then run each instance of SlimServer on a different IP address. But there are a number of issues why it doesn't work as well as it should.

Your Squeezeboxes will become horribly confused because each instance of the server will identify itself using the machine's host name and the SBs won't be able to effectively tell one server from the other. See bugs 3591 and 3592.

You won't be able to use the Windows installer for both of them if you want them to both run as services. This is because there's no provision in the installer to name the SlimServer service, so the second Windows service installation would overwrite the first. But you can work around this by manually installing one or all instances of the service yourself using instsrv.exe from the Windows Resource Kit. Requires some meddling about in the registry as well, where you'll need to add the appropriate startup options to slim.exe to tell it to use a particular IP address.

The second service may refuse to start up because the other one is running. I've seen this problem lately and don't know why this is an issue if they're running on different IP addresses.

Until bug 3591 is fixed, don't waste your time unless you have two machines on which to run the different versions. I've given up on the idea until it works a lot better than it does now.

NigelC
2006-07-27, 17:09
It's doable. Sort of... .

Until bug 3591 is fixed, don't waste your time unless you have two machines on which to run the different versions. I've given up on the idea until it works a lot better than it does now.

Thanks
I think I'll try out new versions on my laptop, and leave it at that

Nigel

MillmoorRon
2006-07-28, 01:20
But can you still have two different versions installed but only run one of them at a time?

JJZolx
2006-07-28, 01:34
But can you still have two different versions installed but only run one of them at a time?
Yes, I believe that should work. Again, the installer won't work to install all of them as individual services, so you'd need to install the additional services manually using instsrv.exe.

To minimize confusion at the Squeezebox end I think I'd then run all the diffrent versions of SlimServer on the same IP address.