PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox connected to 2-channel or 5.1/6.1/7.1 channel system?

Mark Lanctot
2006-07-26, 15:32
I'm getting the impression I'm in the minority here connecting my Squeezebox to my 7.1-channel surround sound receiver.

So I'm curious, your "main" Squeezebox (if you have more than one), is it connected to a dedicated 2-channel system or do you have it connected to a 5.1/6.1/7.1-channel system?

No comments regarding the "other" choice please, I'm just curious what the usage pattern is. Thanks.

exile
2006-07-26, 16:09
with so many audiophiles on this forum, I'd guess that most folks are using their squeezebox in a surround sound environment.

personally I have my box connected from the digital output to my sony DA-STR2000ES receiver
and i use the pro-logic II music setting to listen in 5.1 surround.
the signal comes in as pcm 44.1 audio and it sounds great.

zooropa320
2006-07-26, 16:13
with so many audiophiles on this forum, I'd guess that most folks are using their squeezebox in a surround sound environment.

I find your statement to be contradictory. I don't think many audiophiles believe in surround sound.

Mark Lanctot
2006-07-26, 16:19
Actually audiophiles mostly frown upon surround setups and go with pure 2-channel systems.

As most people can tell from reading my initial post, I'm in the surround camp. I'm using a Marantz 8400 in 7.1 mode, listening to music in Dolby Pro-Logic IIx Music. It does sound very good to me.

I can't say the surround effect is very strong with most material, with a few notable exceptions. For example, in The Prophet's Song by Queen, the a cappella section with Freddie Mercury's vocals pans from rear left to front right to front left to rear right. Quite striking and it sounds like it was specifically encoded for this.

This is not to say I'm opposed to 2-channel. If I had the space and money I'd try it out. My previous setup was a much better room acoustically and the speakers were better positioned. It was magical to hear the front speakers image in 2-channel mode.

Sleestack
2006-07-26, 16:31
Don't audiophiles believe in 2 channel for 2 channel and 5.1/6.1/7.1 for music recorded that way? I'm not sure about audiophile b/c I don't believe in magic cables and risers, but I certainly care about sound quality. I enjoy music in many different ways and have built systems to accomodate both 2 channel and multi-channel. My 5.1 was made primarily for music with movies as an afterthought. Nevertheless, what I don't enjoy is smearing 2 channels across 5 or vice versa. Hook your SB up to your favorite system and just make sure you keep it in 2 channel.

chaz
2006-07-26, 16:33
I've got a 5.1 setup but do all my music listening in 2 channel mode.

shabbs
2006-07-26, 16:49
Same here. Recorded in 2 channels, played back in 2 channels.

el payo
2006-07-26, 17:13
Same here. Recorded in 2 channels, played back in 2 channels.

Ditto. Although I do have a bunch of 5.1/ SuperAudio CDs that I occasionally listen to on my (GASP) SACD player.

Sleestack
2006-07-26, 17:20
Ditto. Although I do have a bunch of 5.1/ SuperAudio CDs that I occasionally listen to on my (GASP) SACD player.

Some 5.1 recorded material is incredible and well worth the effort. Any of Porcupine Tree's DVD-A's, Alison Kraus & Union Station Live and Cornelius' Five Pointe one would be great examples.

Pale Blue Ego
2006-07-26, 17:37
My main "rig" is a home theater setup, so the SB3 there is connected digitally to a multichannel receiver and the 2-channel sound is enhanced to 5.1. In that room, it works better that way.

All my other SBs are used in 2-channel playback.

ceejay
2006-07-27, 00:51

And me. I have two different sets of speakers on the same amp - a 5.1 set for DVDs which are pretty good (B&Ws) but not quite good enough for music, and a pair of floorstanders I use for listening to the SB2 (in 2 channel Direct mode to bypass the digital stuff in the Denon amp). The Harmony remote automatically switches the speakers at the same time its switching everything else over...

Ceejay

PS I am not now, and never have been, an Audiophile...

adhawkins
2006-07-27, 03:16
Hi,

In article <Mark.Lanctot.2bkqgb1153953301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
Mark Lanctot<Mark.Lanctot.2bkqgb1153953301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> So I'm curious, your "main" Squeezebox (if you have more than one), is
> it connected to a dedicated 2-channel system or do you have it
> connected to a 5.1/6.1/7.1-channel system?

Mine goes into a 7.1 AV receiver. I use the Squeezebox to stream a
combination of old MP3s, recently ripped FLAC files and also AC3 / DTS stuff
ripped from DVD.

Works well IMO, but I'd hardly consider myself an audiophile.

Andy

Rod Savard
2006-07-27, 07:28
> I'm getting the impression I'm in the minority here connecting my
> Squeezebox to my 7.1-channel surround sound receiver.

I have two Squeezeboxes. Using optical cables, one is connected to a
STR-DA4ES and the other to an STR-DB930. Both are surround receivers
but I listen in 2 channel stereo mode.

-Rod

Mark Lanctot
2006-07-27, 08:26
Some interesting responses. I wish I could revise the poll because I didn't think there would be so many people connecting it to a surround system but running it in 2-channel mode.

And even if I could, everyone would have to re-vote...

mschiff
2006-07-27, 09:45
Mine are both connected to surround systems using optical cables. One to a Sony STR-DA5ES, and the other to a Yamaha 5.1 system (I forget the model#). I listen to both in 5.1 with Dolby PLII Music.

-- Martin

Jazz1
2006-07-29, 19:32
One of the reasons I went with a Rotel HT Receiver 1057 I think, is that the two channel sounded so good. I just got a Squeezebox and a Roku. My local high end shop guy has some many thing routed, switched and sliced and diced through it I'm afraid I'll mess the thing up. Time for a house call I guess ;) I did find the digital coax in. I'm just not sure how to fire it up.

pfarrell
2006-07-29, 19:47
Jazz1 wrote:
> I did find the digital coax in. I'm just not sure how to
> fire it up.

I'd just grab some TV "video" cable ( it is the right impedance) and
plug it into the back of your SqueezeBox and into your Receiver.
try it, it might work for free.

--
Pat Farrell pfarrell (AT) bioinformatx (DOT) com
www.bioinformatx.com

Mitch Harding
2006-07-30, 08:15
For me it's SB3 into a 5.1 setup, but I only play music in 2 channel mode.

On 7/26/06, Mark Lanctot <
Mark.Lanctot.2bkqgb1153953301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> A poll associated with this post was created, to vote and see the
> results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=25858
> Question: Squeezebox connected to 2-channel or 5.1/6.1/7.1 channel
> system?
>
> - 2-channel system
> - 5.1/6.1/7.1-channel system
>
> I'm getting the impression I'm in the minority here connecting my
> Squeezebox to my 7.1-channel surround sound receiver.
>
> So I'm curious, your "main" Squeezebox (if you have more than one), is
> it connected to a dedicated 2-channel system or do you have it
> connected to a 5.1/6.1/7.1-channel system?
>
> No judgemental comments regarding the "other" choice please, I'm just
> curious what the usage pattern is. Thanks.
>
>
> --
> Mark Lanctot
> Mark Lanctot's Profile:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2071
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=25858
>
>

tommypeters
2006-07-30, 10:47
Connected to a Meridian G68, played in Meridian Trifield mode at my 5.2 system.

Deaf Cat
2006-07-31, 07:18
Mine runs through a 5.1 reciever(decoder and pre), but I listen in 2ch stereo, as the fronts are powered by a stereo power amp.
:)

Planing the modded/Porter SB to go straight to Stereo, pre possibly introduced after that.

holmsn
2006-07-31, 12:10
Using my Quad 99 CD-P as my digital hub now, directly fed to 909 amp and speakers ( 2 channel). A remarkably versatile device, the SB3 feeds one of its dig coax inputs, a DVD player feeds another and a UK DVB "Freeview" box uses one of the TOSlink inputs,for listening to TV and radio sound, the latter being superior in quality to the bit-rate strangled UK DAB services !
Sorry to sound like a Quad advert

amrace
2006-07-31, 12:47
My squeezebox is connected to a digital input of a Yamaha 5.1 decoder but I listen to music in 2 channel mode through Castle Compact speakers (2.1 if you include the sub). Like many people my audio and AV systems are combined in my main listening/viewing room. The Yamaha has various stereo to multi channel modes (hall, theatre etc) but they don't do much to enhance my listening experience.

PS How do you differentiate between an audiophile and someone who just has a keen interest?

Squirrel
2006-07-31, 23:37
My main system is an Arcam AVR-250 AV receiver, Mordaunt-Short 908/905C/903S speakers connected with Chord Rumour 4 for the front L/R and centre and 105-strand OFC for the surround channels, plus a B&W ASW-1000 sub. Current sources on this are an Arcam DV79 DVD-A/CD player, Sony minidisc deck, Turtle Beach Audiotron, Pinnacle ShowCenter and Rega Planar 3 turntable (with Pro-Ject Phono Box II pre-amp).

Might consider replacing the Audiotron with something like the Transporter if a cheaper version becomes available though, I don't need the uber-DAC in the Transporter as the one in the AV receiver is excellent.

Bedroom system is a Yamaha DSP-AX620 AV amp with Gale 4/Centre 2/2i connected with Audio Innovations Silver Bi-Wire (L/R), Silver Micro (centre) and 105-strand OFC for surrounds. Sources here are a second Audiotron, a second ShowCenter and a Sony RDR-HXD710 DVD/HD recorder with Freeview. Again if anything went wrong with the Audiotron I'd replace it with a Squeezebox (preferably in the 17" hi-fi form factor).

Dining room system - Squeezebox 3 running into Audio Alchemy DAC-in-the-box then into Yamaha DSP-A592 AV amp (one I had spare!), Eltax Symphony 6/Symphony Centre/Millenium Mini speakers (can't remember what speaker cable, think it's the Audio Innovations stuff again though for fronts) Usually run this in Pro-Logic mode.

Garden - weatherproof "rock" effect speakers running off an old Sony midi system (heavy smiley EQ needed on these speakers, fortunately aforementioned midi system has 5-band EQ). Fed from tape output of dining room system.

Bathroom system - Squeezebox 3 running into Kenwood KA-3020SE amp (concealed) driving flush-mounted ceiling speakers.

Kitchen system - Concealed Technics SU-VX500 amplifier driving ceiling speakers. Currently this runs from Zone 2 of the Arcam in the living room, but I'll shortly be adding another Squeezebox using the AMPSwitch plug-in to automatically select the SB when it's brought out of standby, and revert to the Zone 2 feed when the SB is turned off.

So yes, one of my Squeezeboxen feeds a multichannel setup. Both Audiotrons also do (and should these go kaput I'll replace them with Squeezeboxen). The other SB feeds a 2ch setup... ceiling speakers are great in the bathroom! Just need some "whale song" added to SqueezeNetwork!

Gildahl
2006-08-01, 04:35
Upstairs: connected to a 6.1 surround system.
Downstairs: 2-channel

SB makes the 2-channel system sound better than it ever has, and I tend to use that system for my "serious" listening. Very pure, direct sound with all the details. Still, the surround system is very nice for general listening and does give a very nice "wrap-around" effect when I'm in the mood for that sort of thing. I can't vote for both, can I?

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-01, 05:35
PS How do you differentiate between an audiophile and someone who just has a keen interest?

My main system is an Arcam AVR-250 AV receiver, Mordaunt-Short 908/905C/903S speakers connected with Chord Rumour 4 for the front L/R and centre and 105-strand OFC for the surround channels, plus a B&W ASW-1000 sub. Current sources on this are an Arcam DV79 DVD-A/CD player, Sony minidisc deck, Turtle Beach Audiotron, Pinnacle ShowCenter and Rega Planar 3 turntable (with Pro-Ject Phono Box II pre-amp).

Might consider replacing the Audiotron with something like the Transporter if a cheaper version becomes available though, I don't need the uber-DAC in the Transporter as the one in the AV receiver is excellent.

Bedroom system is a Yamaha DSP-AX620 AV amp with Gale 4/Centre 2/2i connected with Audio Innovations Silver Bi-Wire (L/R), Silver Micro (centre) and 105-strand OFC for surrounds. Sources here are a second Audiotron, a second ShowCenter and a Sony RDR-HXD710 DVD/HD recorder with Freeview. Again if anything went wrong with the Audiotron I'd replace it with a Squeezebox (preferably in the 17" hi-fi form factor).

Dining room system - Squeezebox 3 running into Audio Alchemy DAC-in-the-box then into Yamaha DSP-A592 AV amp (one I had spare!), Eltax Symphony 6/Symphony Centre/Millenium Mini speakers (can't remember what speaker cable, think it's the Audio Innovations stuff again though for fronts) Usually run this in Pro-Logic mode.

Garden - weatherproof "rock" effect speakers running off an old Sony midi system (heavy smiley EQ needed on these speakers, fortunately aforementioned midi system has 5-band EQ). Fed from tape output of dining room system.

Bathroom system - Squeezebox 3 running into Kenwood KA-3020SE amp (concealed) driving flush-mounted ceiling speakers.

Kitchen system - Concealed Technics SU-VX500 amplifier driving ceiling speakers. Currently this runs from Zone 2 of the Arcam in the living room, but I'll shortly be adding another Squeezebox using the AMPSwitch plug-in to automatically select the SB when it's brought out of standby, and revert to the Zone 2 feed when the SB is turned off.

Uhh, I think Squirrel's an audiophile. :-D

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-01, 05:37
I can't vote for both, can I?

Unfortunately no. As I said before, I wish I could edit the poll choices but then everyone would have to re-vote.

Still, I could never have anticipated the number of people who connect it to a surround sound system but listen in 2-channel mode, or the people who have both setups.

alexfiennes
2006-08-01, 09:53
I've got an SB2 with coax dig out to Musical Fidelity XDACv3 + XPSUv3 into a Cyrus 7 + PSX amp driving a pair of Apogee Centaurs with an REL Storm 5 sitting off the speaker outputs on the Cyrus and configured to start working around 48Hz.

The system is driven by the cheapest Dell tower available (about 150) with a Lacie Biggest 750G external RAID5 firewire drive currently holding 1415 albums in flac format, running SuSE 10.0 and MusicMagic.

All in all, I think that the SqueezeBox was the best bit of hardware I've ever bought. I auditioned it against a Musical Fidelity PRE24 CD player which has external digital inputs and felt that the Squeezebox produced better results than the onboard transport on the PRE24 when feeding through the same DAC (which very shortly went back to the shop!)

Anne
2008-04-28, 11:38
I run stereo, have the dac option in my Bryston.
I revive this thread however because I have a (maybe stupid)question.
Some radiostations now send in 5.1, how would that work with SB3 if connected to a 5.1 home theater receiver ?

Eric Seaberg
2008-04-28, 12:52
I have a wired (network) TRANSPORTER (living room) connected to my Denon surround receiver for full AC3/DTS decode, etc. The SB3 in the master bedroom is connected wireless via 802.11G using analog out to a pair of Genelec bi-amped 8020A. They sound GREAT (unlimited bandwidth without any problems).

Living room Transporter sends digital out to Denon surround receiver with complete AC3/DTS decodes as necessary.

I LOVE THIS SYSTEM!!!

atrocity
2008-04-28, 15:12
I was happy with my two Roku Soundbridges for quite a while, but finally jumped ship for two reasons. One was gapless FLAC playback, the other was the ability to properly output DTS.

I have quite a few amateur-produced DTS CDs made from old quadraphonic mixes. Many have been sent to me on cheapo CDs that won't always play properly, but in some cases I can use EAC to get a clean extraction and play them back error-free via the Squeezebox.

I quess what I'm trying to say is that I'm in the surround sound camp. :)

getprogs
2008-04-29, 05:22
Limited by (in no particular order):

Speaker price (costly*2,5/*3,5 just does not cut it with my salary)
Electricity cost (I am a class-A fan)
the missys (married....)

So it is a 2 channel setup, and if she had the deciding vote it would all be B&O :-/

ncarver
2008-04-29, 06:43
I recently got a duet to use with our "home theater" setup based on an NAD 7.1 receiver. Run the SR into the receiver via coax. Generally prefer plain stereo playback for music. Keep trying the surround sound modes, and occasionally like one with certain music, but they all have negative effects as well. Actually, the NAD has a "surround" mode where it just duplicates the stereo to the rear channels, and if you turn those channels way down, it does add a bit of "space" without any corruption, so often do that.

Am planning on getting a second duet for the "real audio system" (as the duet has spoiled me for changing CDs), but that is pure stereo (of course).

Rick B.
2008-04-29, 07:05
I listen to my SB 100% in a 4.1 setup (phantom center channel). I've been listening in surround-only now for more than 30 years (early quadraphonic user) and find that my ears just can't go back to 2-channel. I do understand why purists do it. To each his own.

pichonCalavera
2008-05-03, 19:47
Since I always listen to music in my small room, it would be very difficult to setup a 5.1 + channel system, because space is limited.

So I have a 2.1 system, consisiting of a Parasound Zpre2 Preamplifier, Parasound Zamp v3 Amplifier, Axiom M2 V2 Speakers and Energy S8.3 Subwoofer.

Altough I would like very much seeing more music released for example in 5.1 FLAC, becuase I think that with proper mixing, 5.1 + music could sound amazing.

notanatheist
2008-05-05, 00:58
Like any Slashdot poll it's certainly missing options. I'd vote for "both" as well as not any one of my Squeezeboxen are the "main". Although, if I had to consider it probably would be the one connected to the home theater. The garage and bedroom players both get ample playtime connected to their own little amps and a pair of speakers.

So,

morris_minor
2008-05-05, 01:05
My living room SB feeds into a Sugden Headmaster pre-amp - via a Sonifex dac and Musical Fidelity X10v3 tube buffer - for quality 'phone listening, but the tape out from this goes to my home cinema amp, where general listening is mostly done with [shock] "7-channel stereo" [/horror] . . .

The kitchen Duet is 2 channel.

jhenderson010759
2008-05-07, 06:40
On my audio rig, I run Meridian Trifield in a 4.2 setup, currently with phantom center. I am building a true center to determine whether it's an improvement.

For my music preferences - classical guitar, chamber music, blues and jazz (sources with substantial amounts of recorded ambience information) - surround sound is a vast improvement. With this sort of music, the difference between surround and stereo sound is dramatic and compelling.

In other rigs, I have even used $20.00/pair speakers such as these Spherex units (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=309-400) to great effect as rear channels.