PDA

View Full Version : Universal Remote?

earthbased
2006-07-25, 08:56
I am possibly looking for a high end universal remote that I can program with icons for each device. Since SB users appreciate good design I thought I would ask for opinions here...

TIA,
Dan

Dan Rich
2006-07-25, 09:26
earthbased wrote:
> I am possibly looking for a high end universal remote that I can program
> with icons for each device. Since SB users appreciate good design I
> thought I would ask for opinions here...
>

I recently picked up a Logitech Harmony 880, and it's the first
universal remote I've found that I can not only tolerate but actually
like! The form-factor is similar to a TiVo remote, the "peanut" shape.
You program it via. a web interface and application combo, it connects
to your PC (or Mac) via. a USB cable.

The web interface isn't the best in the world, but it's functional. The
device has the concept of "activities", so programing is literally as
simple as identifying what devices you have and which one(s) should be
turned on for which activities. Logitech has a database of thousands of
devices and fairly good tech support folks, so you have to work pretty
hard to find a device they don't have in the database. You also have the
capability to customize the soft-keys (8 on each screen) so it's easy to
deal with buttons that don't map to the hard buttons on the remote.

In short, I can't say enough good things about the 880. It's not a
nightmare to program like the Pronto and you don't have to learn
hundreds of codes like most other universal remotes. It also has the
advantage of being the first universal remote in the house that my
partner is willing to use -- that makes it a winner if nothing else does!

--
Dan Rich <drich (AT) employees (DOT) org> | http://www.employees.org/~drich/
| "Step up to red alert!" "Are you sure, sir?
| It means changing the bulb in the sign..."
| - Red Dwarf (BBC)

shabbs
2006-07-25, 10:15
I too have the Harmony 880 and love it. The wife was getting sick of wading through so many remotes. She is now very happy, and so am I. Money very well spent. Just like my SB1. :)

Cheers.

earthbased
2006-07-26, 10:29
I too have the Harmony 880 and love it. The wife was getting sick of wading through so many remotes. She is now very happy, and so am I. Money very well spent. Just like my SB1. :)

Cheers.

I picked a Harmony 880 up last night. But I am having trouble having it learn my Pioneer digital cable box remote (TW). I will get a good scan for TogglePower but then subsequent button scans are always "Bad Infrared" error. I emailed Logitech and am still waiting for a response...

Oh I am using Mac OS X Latest.

shabbs
2006-07-26, 10:44
I picked a Harmony 880 up last night. But I am having trouble having it learn my Pioneer digital cable box remote (TW). I will get a good scan for TogglePower but then subsequent button scans are always "Bad Infrared" error. I emailed Logitech and am still waiting for a response...

Oh I am using Mac OS X Latest.
Is the make/model not in their database?

earthbased
2006-07-26, 11:24
Is the make/model not in their database?

Nope. At least not what I could identify as the model # on the box. The box is made for Time Warner and doesn't identify itself well. Just says Pioneer with what I think is a serial # and model # on the bottom...

Update: I found the model # for my box on TW's website!

Justme
2006-07-26, 12:16
I've heard great things about the Harmony 880. I also checked on another forum, and there was a specific profile made for the squeezebox, so it is supposed to work really well.

Havn't bought it myself, but it's the only universal remote that seems to answer all my requests.

There is also a new version out there that allows multi-room control

carl_b
2006-07-27, 01:50
There is also a new version out there that allows multi-room control

I assume you mean the 890. When I was looking to buy a remote I looked at the 880 and 890. The salesperson actually told me not to buy the 890, that he had tried to set one up for a customer and had tons of problems. So I bought the cheaper 880 and am happy with it.

Since that time I've seen postings on various forums regarding the 890 and how people are unhappy with it. So make sure you research it before buying. :-)

ChrisNY
2006-07-27, 09:56
I have found one of the best things about the Harmony series of remotes is the ability for the customer support team to update your configuration online and then just ask you to re-synch the remote to get the updates. I have had them do this type of thing to help change the order my components power up etc.