PDA

View Full Version : Another Wireless Connection Problem

DaveB
2006-07-25, 07:36
Equipment
SB3 with firmware V55
Speedtouch wireless router 716WL
Linksys Range expander WRE54G

The music server has a wired connection to the router which then communicates (wirelessly) via the range expander to the SB.

The problem I am experiencing is that (randomly) the
connection will abruptly drop. There is no break up as I would expect for marginal signal strength. Just a a complete stop. The track will restart if the play button is pressed on the remote. The drop outs will be anything from 5mins to a day apart.
No problems when used wired.

Can anyone offer any advice please.

ianjohnson_nz
2006-07-25, 07:46
Equipment
SB3 with firmware V55
Speedtouch wireless router 716WL
Linksys Range expander WRE54G

The music server has a wired connection to the router which then communicates (wirelessly) via the range expander to the SB.

The problem I am experiencing is that (randomly) the
connection will abruptly drop. There is no break up as I would expect for marginal signal strength. Just a a complete stop. The track will restart if the play button is pressed on the remote. The drop outs will be anything from 5mins to a day apart.
No problems when used wired.

Can anyone offer any advice please.
Is your SB a long way from the wireless router? Try putting it close and see if the problem persists. You might be at the limit of your reception area.

DaveB
2006-07-25, 08:33
Well I do have a range/signal strength problem - hence the need for the range expander - but the problem was still there with the expander 1 foot from the router and the SB 1 foot from the expander

Darrenst
2006-07-28, 04:07
I have come to the conclusion that the wireless circuitary is not worth a whole lot on these units.

I am getting the same sort of issues with choppy sound disconnecting and re-connecting.

I have experimented with channel changing and all sorts of combinations of WEP and WPA with the net effect that it doesn't really work as promised.

Connected via ethernet is fine.

My experience tells me this is not a signal strength problem. It's more like packet drop-out (remember those old ethernet frame types 802.2 & 802.3. Frame mismatch caused that same sorts of problems with unreliable connections.

I don't know what the problem is with mine it's just flaky.

I just don't buy the solutions from the support FAQs.

It's a shame cos the SQBX 3 is a great product (when connected to ethernet.)

Could someone from SLIM please help me get my box going.

My spec is:

Slimserver on Windows Server 2003
Draytek 2800G Router (super G disabled on channel 13 802.11g only

Mark Lanctot
2006-07-28, 06:27
Could someone from SLIM please help me get my box going.

Contact support at slimdevices dot com. This forum is not official support.

The Draytek routers have been very problematic for quite some time now. I remember seeing something about a beta Draytek firmware release developed specifically for the Squeezebox that addresses the problem. Search around the forums.

Incidentally, since Draytek is the last incompatible router reported and they've had to release firmware to correct it, it's their problem, not Slim Devices'.