PDA

View Full Version : Auto ratings for my songs?

sbutton
2006-07-25, 04:38
Hi,

I have around, I dunno, 6 thousand songs at last count mosty from ripping my CD collection, and I'd like to be able to play higher rated songs some of the time.

However, I'm never going to get round to rating that many songs in this lifetime!! So, I'm looking for a way to "auto-rate" all my songs. I can then tweak anything I disagree with, but this would give me a good starting point.

That way, I shouldn't get "Nenah Cherry" for example, any more when I shuffle across my whole collection, as I'll be able to choose higher rated songs (why on earth did I rip that CD anyway, it's complete crap -- seemed OK at the time)

Currently I haven't rated anything, as it doesn't seem worth the effort.

Help?

Oooo, BTW. I guess this would have to be from a site similar to IMDB.com, but for music... if such a beastie exists. (i.e. Music library, with ratings)

Steve

PS. Originially posted this on an iTunes forum http://www.iprong.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11530 but thought I might get a more sensible reply here.

smc2911
2006-07-25, 05:36
http://www.allmusic.com/ has ratings (whether you agree or not is another matter).

sbutton
2006-07-25, 06:07
allmusic.com is a useful site, thanks. Just been having a look around. I like the "similar artists" section, but anyhoooo....

What I'm looking for is a way to Automatically populate all my ratings (at least my unrated tracks) so I can go away and tweak them at my leisure (or never :-).

I don't think this would be particularly hard technically, for someone who has the time. Surely someone has done this already ?

Steve

erland
2006-07-25, 06:15
I think allmusic.com or amazon.com are your best bet, but I haven't seen any software that would retreive the rating information from these sites. The problem is to retreive the ratings from the web, when you have the ratings there are several tools available to set the ratings in slimserver, tagging the music or where ever you want them.

Another problem is that these sites don't rate tracks they rate albums, so all tracks on an album would get the same rating.

There is also http://www.last.fm, but it doesn't have ratings it have statistics about number of times a track has been listen to.

Are you a developer who are ready to do some development work to retreive the ratings from these sites ?

If you aren't I would suggest that you try to set the ratings manually on per artist or per album level. I am not sure exactly which tools that make this possible. I know the TrackStat plugin can do it on per album level with slimserver but with that solution you will have to click 4-5 times per album, so that might not be the optimal solution.

ajmitchell
2006-07-25, 07:30
All music must be enjoyed by someone so how would the rating system know if YOU liked it or not? You could if you collected mean likeability produce overall popularity - but is Britney Spears really 1000 times better than David Gray based. No that idea is that you process your.....I am sure you have a couple months to spare don't you ;) http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=25759. Alternatively, if really had to, you could use itunes and rate everything as say 2* and then alter each song as you play it. Just an idea

Pale Blue Ego
2006-07-25, 08:15
There might be a way to easily give every track a rating of "3". Then it's just a matter if identifying any tracks that are worse than average (1 and 2) or better than average (4 and 5).

IMO, it isn't too difficult to just rate songs as they play. I installed TrackStat a few months ago and probably have 2000 songs rated, just by rating them during normal playback. In a few years at this pace, even a large collection could be fully rated. TrackStat also makes it easy to find tracks that haven't been played in a long time, which makes it easy to find music that still needs rating.

Bottom line, it's an ongoing process that gradually adds value to your collection. And really, you are the only one who can do it properly.

barcar
2006-07-25, 08:17
I have around, I dunno, 6 thousand songs at last count mosty from ripping my CD collection, and I'd like to be able to play higher rated songs some of the time.
I have a similarly sized library and had the same problem - here's how I do it in SlimServer 6.5.

I start at the position that all songs are in my collection for a reason - I must have liked them at some point. So I assume that unrated songs have a 3 star (60%) rating unless actually rated differently.

I also assume that a rating of one star means "never play on random". It doesn't actually mean I hate the track - I just use it as shorthand to flag songs I don't want on random which is the only time that ratings actually have any impact for me. Actually I also have some genres that I always exclude from random playback (audiobooks, classical etc.)

I use the SQL PlayList plugin to create a random playlist that is biased in favour of higher rated songs and treats unrated songs as being mid-rated.

I use the iTunes Update plugin to record my ratings and send them back to iTunes. If you don't use iTunes then you could look at the TrackStat plugin.

And when I get something on random that I love/hate then I rate it to fine tune feedback into the process.

I also combine this with forcing myself to listen to unplayed tracks on random when I'm working so that I eventually will hit my entire collection and weed out the junk I don't want to hear on random again.

Over time I'm gradually fine tuning my ratings so that stuff I really like gets a higher rating and comes around more often.

I've also considered that any track that I play to completion (without manually rating it) should get an average rating of 3 stars but I've not got as far as deciding if that's a good idea.

bejammin075
2007-12-22, 12:52
I have about 10,000 to 12,000 songs that I've rated. But it's taken a long time. When I drive alone (mostly to and from work) I am always listening to something that hasn't been rated. I've been doing this for roughly 4 years. I keep a stack of 3x5 notecards and pens in the car, and I rate every track that has come into my collection.

If someone came up with something to automatically rate tracks, it would likely be an abomination. Only a human brain can decide what is good and what is not.

Someone mentioned the All Music Guide website. It's a very good website for investigating artists, and what they have available. I wouldn't trust it for finding which tracks to rate though. AMG typically checks off 2 or 3 "AMG Track Picks" per CD, no matter how good or bad the CD. For example, I think Guns 'N' Roses CD "Appetitie for Destruction" every single track is "Excellent", but AMG would likely only check off 3 tracks. AMG is decent for buying CDs too, especially multi-disc compillation albums. If you buy used, you can often get good deals.

I'm glad I did it though. I use Music Match as my software (highly recommended, it's WAY better than iTunes for managing music). Music Match has an "Auto DJ" function where you can generate a playlist with all kinds of parameters. For example, my favorite thing to do is to combine genre, e.g. rock and/or classic rock, and select only "5 stars" or "Excellent" (same thing, depends what version of Music Match you have). I save the new playlist. Then I have slimserver re-scan the playlists folder, and my 2,000 track "Excellent" rock and classic rock collection plays at random, where each and every song is one that I personally selected.

sbutton
2007-12-23, 01:12
All power to you if you've got the time and organization to do this, but I'm simply not that kind of person. What I was hoping for was a "starting point" so that I could fix any ratings that I disagree with, but individually rating ALL my library ?

Life's too short :)

I guess the other problem (for me) is that a song which I thought was great three months ago, I might get fed up with now. It's difficult to judge if a new song is a grower or a catchy tune that you will grow to hate.

Steve

erland
2007-12-23, 03:11
If you are satisfied with setting the same ratings on all the tracks on an album, TrackStat plugin together with Custom Scan plugin supports to retrieve album based ratings from Amazon.com and store them in SlimServer database.

Ur[s]uS
2007-12-23, 04:43
actually trackstat from erland is useful bypass, to develop preferences based on what you choose to play (most played/least played - artist, album, songs etc.)
short term work around
then take those most played tracks and hit them with 5* rating etc.