• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • b6662966
    • Jul 2006

? gapless playback of lame mp3s ?

hallo,
    first off forgiving my english.
    i am curious know, if slim device support playback of lame mp3 gapless playback?
    this fact is very important to me in gapless playback of lame mp3.
    thank you.
  • radish
    • Apr 2005

No, gapless playback is supported for wav, ogg and flac (and possibly some others?) but not mp3. The link below goes to the enhancement request to add gapless mp3 playback.

http://www.last.fm/user/polymeric

Comment

• Mark Lanctot
      • Oct 2005

Note that Ogg and FLAC were designed from the ground up with gapless playback in mind. MP3 wasn't, and any software or device that does play it back gapless is going through some pretty complex procedures to get it to play back gapless.

SlimServer isn't quite there yet, but neither are most portable devices including the much-vaunted iPod.
      Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta)

Comment

• b6662966
        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Mark Lanctot
        Note that Ogg and FLAC were designed from the ground up with gapless playback in mind. MP3 wasn't, and any software or device that does play it back gapless is going through some pretty complex procedures to get it to play back gapless.

SlimServer isn't quite there yet, but neither are most portable devices including the much-vaunted iPod.
        thanks you, i am clarify, i believe playing lame gapless only requires to read the lame tag, dont believe very complex actually very simplistic? i possibel play gapless lame with my ipod using rockbox (http://www.rockbox.org/) so problem for gapless mp3 only being software related.

Comment

• radish
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by b6662966
          thanks you, i am clarify, i believe playing lame gapless only requires to read the lame tag, dont believe very complex actually very simplistic? i possibel play gapless lame with my ipod using rockbox (http://www.rockbox.org/) so problem for gapless mp3 only being software related.
          That is correct. As it says in the enhancement request, in the specific case where the mp3s were encoded with the correct version of lame, it will have written special tags with the data needed to play gaplessly. It is, however, up to the player to read those tags and use them, and the player in the SB currently doesn't. Mark is also right however, in that if gapless is important to you using a format specifically designed with that in mind (ogg, flac, etc) is a much better idea. I do that, and never hear a gap on my SBs or my Karma
          http://www.last.fm/user/polymeric

Comment

• b6662966
            • Jul 2006

hi, after waiting time, now it appeared that SONOS officially now supporting gapless playback in LAME mp3 and ogg files in firmware2.0. i now consider purchased sonos system, but urge slimdevices also applying gapless playback for mp3 as you make very nice product but without gapless. thank-

Comment

• Mark Lanctot
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by b6662966
              i now consider purchased sonos system, but urge slimdevices also applying gapless playback for mp3 as you make very nice product but without gapless.
              SlimServer supports gapless playback just fine, but not on MP3.

I suppose since iPod supports gapless MP3 playback now and Sonos too, it may be coming.

If you'd really like to see it, please vote for the enhancement request radish pointed to.
              Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta)

Comment

• oreillymj
                • May 2005

Event though I've voted for this bug, I have to say, with crossfade enabled, the lack of gapless playback is of minimal impact to me.

Comment

Working...