PDA

View Full Version : streaming multiple playlists

costasa
2006-07-24, 08:01
Hi
I wonder if could stream different playlits at the same time to different boxes.

Ex
box 1 listens to playlist 1
box 2 listens to playlist 2
box 3 listens to playlist 2

etc etc

Is it possible with this software?
Does it play music purchades at Itunes Music Store?

Im aint gonna use slimserver, DOT-Tunes or QuickTime Streaming Server, mpeg-4 ?
Have anyone connected it to a Quicktime streaming server? or a dot-tunes server?

best regards
costas

snarlydwarf
2006-07-24, 08:04
Hi
I wonder if could stream different playlits at the same time to different boxes.

Ex
box 1 listens to playlist 1
box 2 listens to playlist 2
box 3 listens to playlist 2

etc etc

Different Squeezeboxes can either play their own playlist or synch with another, yes.

Does it support QuickTime Streaming Server, mpeg-4 ?
Does it play music purchades at Itunes Music Store?

It plays mp4 files as long as they are not copy protected. It doesn't need another server for that: just Slimserver.

No, it can not play ITMS music: that is "protected" and Apple doesn't license their decoder to others.

costasa
2006-07-24, 08:09
Different Squeezeboxes can either play their own playlist or synch with another, yes.

It plays mp4 files as long as they are not copy protected. It doesn't need another server for that: just Slimserver.

No, it can not play ITMS music: that is "protected" and Apple doesn't license their decoder to others.

I dont want all boxes to have the possibility to connect to all playlists. I want to only gain them access to one or two.

Im planning to install about 50 squezeboxes and i dont waant them to access other playlists excepts them they pay for.

my problem is that i most use quicktime streamer or dot tunes. We are going to purchase music from itms.

does anyone know how SB connect to the internet and to a remote
server. If it simply reaches out to a url and retrieves a track list,
xml or m3u document?!?!

azinck3
2006-07-24, 12:00
I dont want all boxes to have the possibility to connect to all playlists. I want to only gain them access to one or two.

Im planning to install about 50 squezeboxes and i dont waant them to access other playlists excepts them they pay for.

my problem is that i most use quicktime streamer or dot tunes. We are going to purchase music from itms.

does anyone know how SB connect to the internet and to a remote
server. If it simply reaches out to a url and retrieves a track list,
xml or m3u document?!?!

Without getting into the specifics, I can save you a lot of time by telling you that the Squeezebox and slimserver will not be a workable solution for what you're trying to do. The squeezebox is really quite different from virtually any other networked audio players out there (except the roku, which is similar in some ways).

First: a squeezebox WILL NOT play music from the itms. And you MUST interface a squeezebox with either slimserver or the slim-hosted version of slimserver called Squeezenetwork (Squeezenetwork allows you to listen to internet radio without having to run your own copy of slimserver); you cannot simply point a squeezebox at a url and have it play. Squeezeboxes are unable to do anything without Slimserver; they're simply dumb terminals.

It sounds like you still don't have a very good idea of how a squeezebox works. The best way to figure it out is to just try it yourself: the server software is a free download and comes with a squeezebox emulator (softsqueeze) which will allow you to see exactly what a squeezebox is like.