PDA

View Full Version : Why do we still have to buy CDs?

Paul_B
2006-07-23, 04:52
Ok something that I have pondered for some time. Why do I have to buy a CD to get good quality music?

Why can't I use a website that has albums for download in a lossless format, preferably FLAC, with artwork and tag info but at a sensible price. After all the manufacturer wouldn't need to pay for cutting, printing, logistics, etc.

I guess kinda like iTunes but priced reasonably to reflect reduced costs but NOT MP3 quality

autopilot
2006-07-23, 06:07
Well such a place does exist, it's called allofmp3.com. But the record industries claim it's illegal, although this has not been proven.

TBH, this topic of debate has been done to death. No offence, but have a search around mate. Especially threads about allofmp3.com.

Skunk
2006-07-23, 06:40
If it was legit, I believe the record co. would put some kind of copy protection (like iTunes) to keep you from moving your music to another hard drive.

I prefer having the original cd as a backup, but I'm the type who misses looking at the artwork and holding the case while the disc is playing- my miniature lp's.

Long live polycarbonate!

funkstar
2006-07-23, 09:15
To add to what Skunk said (which i agree with), i also really like going and buying real products in real shops. Even when i buy CDs online (usually when i am offshore and bored), i like coming home to a big pile or padded envelopes and clever origami-like cardboard holders.

It will be a sad sad day when i can no-longer do this :(

Linzer
2006-07-23, 10:50
Why can't I use a website that has albums for download in a lossless format, preferably FLAC, with artwork and tag info but at a sensible price. After all the manufacturer wouldn't need to pay for cutting, printing, logistics, etc.

I really don't know anything about this website http://www.mindawn.com/ but they do offer ogg and flac downloads. They don't include cover art but $1.24 per track for flac downloads or $8.99 for the whole album it seems like a great dedal. ($.99 / $6.99 for ogg respectively.)

I own a couple of CD's the site seems to offer and I wouldn't say there are a lot of mainstream artists listed...but it is refreshing to see as an option.

Paul_B
2006-07-23, 14:05
Sorry Dangerous-Dom first time I have wondered into this area of the Forums. Did a look for a sticky and read the first two pages. But thank you for the link.

LHawes
2006-07-23, 20:15
Paul, not all of us have been around long enough to know if/when a topic has been done to death.

I have the same question and allofmp3.com looks pretty promising but most of the tracks I wanted to purchase weren't available in FLAC or WAV files so it kinda defeats the purpose.

I'm constanly stuck wanting to listen to just one or two tracks off an album and needing to spend $10 - $15 for those 2 tracks. Sucks for me I guess and no real solution in sight.

I would guess it's a copyright thing that keeps the record companies from offering the highest quality recordings or maybe the demand is just not strong enough when even low quality MP3's sell like hot cakes.

Wish there was an alternative. If there was a source for highest quality recordings I would certainly pay for the quality.

Larry

fathom39
2006-07-23, 21:13
I'm constanly stuck wanting to listen to just one or two tracks off an album and needing to spend $10 - $15 for those 2 tracks. Sucks for me I guess and no real solution in sight.

Wish there was an alternative. If there was a source for highest quality recordings I would certainly pay for the quality.

Larry

I only pay > $10 per CD if I cannot find it at used stores or on eBay or half.com. I'd rather have the real thing and make my own flacs. The more CDs that are purchased, the longer the companies will keep "pressing" them. However, what I fear most is when flash ram gets cheap enough, the companies might replace the CD with a chip that contains the 1440 quality tracks... and a program that restricts what can be done with the tracks.

autopilot
2006-07-24, 03:40
Paul, you might want to take a look at this thread to mate : http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=21729

Hope that helps too.

TiredLegs
2006-07-24, 11:49
You might take a look at www.musicgiants.com. This site has WMA LOSSLESS files, but I don't recommend using it. You pay as much as you would to buy a CD, and the files are DRM restricted. According to its FAQs: "MusicGiants' WMA lossless files can not be converted to any other audio file format at this time."

Personally, I'm still buying CDs, unless I have only one particular track I'm looking for, in which case, I've found through trial and error that of the domestic music services, MSN Music tends to have the best sound quality. (I won't attempt to debate the legality of allofmp3.com.)

Mark Lanctot
2006-07-24, 11:56
You might take a look at www.musicgiants.com. This site has WMA LOSSLESS files, but I don't recommend using it. You pay as much as you would to buy a CD, and the files are DRM restricted. According to its FAQs: "MusicGiants' WMA lossless files can not be converted to any other audio file format at this time."

Also Musicgiants used to have a very onerous "feature" - it looked through your hard drive and found other music files, IIRC ones at lower resolution. It would then delete these and automatically put these files in your download queue, charging you for them.

How did they put it - "let's just say you were 'borrowing' them."

Nice.

I notice this is gone. Don't know if they've stopped doing this or if it's still there, just secret.

autopilot
2006-07-24, 12:11
According to its FAQs: "MusicGiants' WMA lossless files can not be converted to any other audio file format at this time."

Can they be burnt to CD? Burning (to a CD at the same quality as the orginal) then re-ripping to FLAC/MP3 might be an idea. But as you say, CD's are still about the same cost.