PDA

View Full Version : Random mix annoyance

MillmoorRon
2006-07-23, 04:09
Having ripped my entire CD collection I find that when I do a random mix I keep getting 10 minutes of silence when those stupid "hidden" tracks come tagged on to the last track of the CD come around!

Is there a setting/plugin for skipping silence - or a software utilty for easily finding and removing silence/splitting the tracks?

nelamvr6
2006-07-23, 06:43
Those hidden tracks are annoying! It's amazing how artists still think they're being cute with those things.

The only way I found to address those is to edit the file itself with an audio editing program. I use Goldwave (http://www.goldwave.com/), it's very effective. It has an "Autotrim" feature. You can save the hidden track as a separate file if you like, or toss it if you don't want it.

Mark Lanctot
2006-07-23, 06:57
Having ripped my entire CD collection I find that when I do a random mix I keep getting 10 minutes of silence when those stupid "hidden" tracks come tagged on to the last track of the CD come around!

Is there a setting/plugin for skipping silence - or a software utilty for easily finding and removing silence/splitting the tracks?

There's nothing in SlimServer that can do this.

I generally split tracks using EAC. First I decode the FLAC back into WAV using "flac -d [filename.flac]" launched from the affected directory. Then I go to EAC Tools - Process WAV... If I want to keep the hidden track I trim the first part of the song and the silence out and save the track as its track name according to www.musicbrainz.org if it has a name, otherwise I name it "(hidden track)".

Then I reload the original WAV, trim the silence and hidden track and resave.

Finally I'll compress the WAV to FLAC and MP3 using my preferred settings by selecting Tools - Compress WAVs...

Unfortunately this results in files with no tags so I use Mp3tag to correct this, deriving tags from file names and artist/album data from the rest of the album in the same directory.

You can also use Audacity to split files but EAC is just as good for this application.

MillmoorRon
2006-07-24, 01:05
I suppose it's easy enough to manually edit the gap out - my problem now is finding them!

Spent a while searching for a suitable tool to no avail.

Maybe I'll just make a note of the tracks as they play and edit them later!

(I guess it's only REALLY annoying when I'm in the bath and I can't skip!)

Mark Lanctot
2006-07-24, 05:28
Put them in your Zapped Songs playlist.

When in Now Playing, press and hold ADD.

Doing this will remove the song from the playlist but it won't delete it. When you want to edit, go to Browse Playlists to see the Zapped Songs.

MillmoorRon
2006-07-24, 07:00
Sounds like a good plan but what exactly is the zapped playlist?

It briefly mentions it in the manual but with no explanation as to what it's for!

Mark Lanctot
2006-07-24, 07:15
Sounds like a good plan but what exactly is the zapped playlist?

It briefly mentions it in the manual but with no explanation as to what it's for!

Anything you want. It can be used to identify tracks you want to delete, tracks you want to edit, etc. It doesn't do anything to the files, it just places them in a playlist for you so you can do what you want to them. If you choose to do nothing, you don't lose them or anything.

I can't use it for identifying hidden tracks though because I always use it for identifying tracks to delete. If I was to put a hidden track here, I'd end up deleting it.

radish
2006-07-24, 07:27
This site: http://www.hiddensongs.com/

Has a list of many of the hidden tracks. I was browsing it when I realised that one of my all time favourite albums has a tracks hidden _before_ the beginning - you have to rewind from zero to hear it. I'd had that album 2 years and never heard that track...

radish
2006-07-24, 07:28
Here's another list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_albums_containing_a_hidden_track

gutted
2006-07-24, 09:19
Is it possible to get SB to play tracks that are hidden in the pre-gap before track 1?

I'm pretty sure that when I ripped the CD, the hidden track called "Lights Go Down Knives Come Out" was encoded into the MP3 before the track "This Is What It Means" by Hybrid, from the album Morning Sci-Fi.

I'm using Fishbone skin, but can't work out how to go back beyond 00:00.

Can it be done?

EDIT: In fact, on reflection, I'm not even sure the pre-gap tracks get written into the MP3 anymore... I can't figue out a way to play the MP3 to check... Any ideas?

radish
2006-07-24, 10:18
Is it possible to get SB to play tracks that are hidden in the pre-gap before track 1?

I'm pretty sure that when I ripped the CD, the hidden track called "Lights Go Down Knives Come Out" was encoded into the MP3 before the track "This Is What It Means" by Hybrid, from the album Morning Sci-Fi.

Heh :) That's the track I was thinking of in my post just now. The tracks in the pregap are not usually ripped by default, so you will need to rip them specially. I can't find specific instructions right now, but using EAC it involves the "Copy Range" command.

This thread has some more info: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=38551&hl=

The next problem, of course, is what to put in the "Track Number" tag :) I usually use 0.

gutted
2006-07-24, 10:52
Heh :) That's the track I was thinking of in my post just now.
You're obviously a person of impeccable tastes :) :)

This thread has some more info: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=38551&hl=
Nice one - thanks duder.

The next problem, of course, is what to put in the "Track Number" tag :) I usually use 0
Good call - that's the way I'll go if I can get these tracks ripped (there are apparently a few in my CD collection - but the Hybrid one is about the only one I've heard so far!)