PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm....2nd thoughts on buying SB3

b4lly
2006-07-23, 03:39
G'day

After doing heaps of research on how to throw away my cd's forever, I decided SB3 was perfect and got really excited. But I'm now not so sure. After trawling through these forums, I've come across problem after problem with connecting wirelessly with different routers. Perhaps people are only reporting negative experiences, but my confidence in this product (which I really want to love) is waning. Reassurance needed plz.

mherger
2006-07-23, 03:59
> Perhaps people are only reporting negative experiences, but my

That's exactly the problem of forums: only people with problems come
complain here. Many thousand users will be out there who never even
bothered to visit this forum, because they're happy.

I've been running my various SliMP3/SB1/SBG/SB2/SB3 devices for a few
years now and have experienced very little problems. This really is a 24x7
installation and I usually don't care about my installation, but just use
it on a daily basis. I rely on it as my alarm clock in the morning.

> confidence in this product (which I really want to love) is waning.
> Reassurance needed plz.

Don't worry. Buy that box and become a happy user. You won't regret.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

gwak
2006-07-23, 04:00
My squeezebox is living in harmony with my absolute POS D-Link di-614.

and i absolutely adore my squeezebox SB3. It is my favorite computer/music device.

-best
-gwak

Paul_B
2006-07-23, 04:46
I was using SoftSqueeze for about 6 months before I bought my SB3. It is fantastic and I just switch it on play music, siwtch it off.

Issues with wireless and routers possible always existed but because the SB3 is dependent upon the network infrastructure will show up any underlying issues.

My SB3 is wired into a port on my Netgear ADSL router which connects to a wireless Netgear access point, which then connects to a Netgear wireless bridge, which connects to a wired QNAP NAS box running Slimserver. All works like a treat.

MadScientist
2006-07-23, 05:33
True, a lot of users have problems, mostly wireless network-associated (me included). But most are easily overcome and the sonic results are well woth the effort. Your networking skills are also enhanced. SB3 - highly recommended!

MS

4mula1
2006-07-23, 05:58
My SB3s are currently my only wireless devices. They were also my first foray into wireless. Setup was a breeze once I realized my AP was in a bad location and the SB3 couldn't see it. After that it's been nothing but bliss.

Get a good AP/router and you shouldn't have any problems. I have a Linksys WAP54G access point upgraded to the latest firmware and have no problems.

Buy the SB3. You won't regret it.

Malor
2006-07-23, 06:00
If there's any real problem with the Squeezebox, it's the relatively poor quality of the SlimServer releases. Just get a good AP and you won't have any problem. I've used both a Linksys WRT54GS and an Airport Extreme and they were both great.

The software can be troublesome. I have had pretty good luck with 6.2.2, if you can find that version. 6.3.0 was a disaster. I have no idea if 6.3.1 is better or not.

autopilot
2006-07-23, 06:11
G'day

After doing heaps of research on how to throw away my cd's forever, I decided SB3 was perfect and got really excited. But I'm now not so sure. After trawling through these forums, I've come across problem after problem with connecting wirelessly with different routers. Perhaps people are only reporting negative experiences, but my confidence in this product (which I really want to love) is waning. Reassurance needed plz.

It's a bit like saying, i looked at newpaper today and it was all bad news!

People post thier problems on here, thats internet forums. You need to read between the lines a bit.

I can give you reason after reason why the Squeezebox3 is an essential purchace. But i cant be bothered, im too hung over from last night, so i will just say this - just buy one already, you will NOT regret it :)

Skunk
2006-07-23, 06:18
Don't forget there's an ethernet wired model for $50 cheaper, guaranteed no wireless problems there.

Remember also, there is a 30 day satisfaction guarantee- what's to lose?

I doubt you'll want to return it though. Random play makes all your old albums seem new again. The sound quality being great is a huge bonus as well.

Are you looking for an audiophile solution, or more of a whole family experience?

egd
2006-07-23, 06:27
After trawling through these forums, I've come across problem after problem with connecting wirelessly with different routers....

I think you'll find that SB3 and current firmware will talk to just about any wireless router. SB3's wireless support is pretty damned good. If you have a decent signal you'll have no issues. On top of that, you'll love what it will do for your music and your ability to enjoy it.

Mark Lanctot
2006-07-23, 06:50
After trawling through these forums, I've come across problem after problem with connecting wirelessly with different routers.

This is old news. The "router compatibility problem" mostly went away with firmware version 28 about 3 months ago.

Yes, you will see occasional wireless connection problems these days but it's far from universal and isn't specific to a certain kind of router.

LHawes
2006-07-23, 07:03
I am one of those bad news posters and had wireless problems (Linksys WRT54GS) that couldn't be resolved, even though the signal is great and everything else should point to perfect operation.

I ended up hard wiring my SB simply because I cannot live without the convenience and sound quality. Could have saved $50.00 knowing what I know now but the wireless solution, if it works in your situation and even if it doesn't and hard wiring is an option, is very much worth the effort.

Robert_W
2006-07-23, 09:47
Count me in as another happy camper. Though I went the wired route. I haven't touched my CD player in months other than to do a couple of side by side comparrisons. EAC....FALC....you'll also be a happy camper! Go for it.

mecouc
2006-07-23, 11:28
Also consider getting a wired model and then using homeplug adapters (ethernet over mains electricity) to get the signal from your router to the squeezebox.

I find it much more reliable than wireless networking in general, which is sometimes susceptible to intereference and other problems.

Wirrunna
2006-07-23, 15:33
I also went through a lot of searching before committing to a Squeezebox.
The final straw in favour was this post http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=38242&view=findpost&p=337788

Any problems I have had since the initial working wireless install have been self inflicted, such as replacing a router with one not on the RouterStatus page in the wicki or upgrading working software to install features that I don't need and will not use.

I went the iTunes/Apple lossless way and wholeheartedly recommend SB3.

andy_c
2006-07-23, 17:36
My Squeezebox has been more reliable with wireless than my Dell laptop with Intel Centrino wireless chip set. When the Dell comes out of hibernation, I can't get it to connect to the wireless network without turning the wireless chip off, then back on again through the software.

OTOH, the Squeezebox always finds the network and logs on without a hitch.

My wireless router is a Linksys WRT54g (not the "S" version).

Michaelwagner
2006-07-23, 17:47
I have had pretty good luck with 6.2.2, if you can find that version.
All old releases can be found here:
http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/

chris.mason
2006-07-24, 03:08
I've spent about 8 months deciding whether or not to buy an SB3. I've used that time ripping my CDs, and using/testing SlimServer and various plugins, using SoftSqueeze as an SB replacement.

I'm very glad I bought my SB3. Its fantastic. Excellent audio quality, very easy to use, looks beautiful. I have mine connected to my wireless network using Netgear WAP. SB3 is downstairs, WAP is upstairs, and signal strength is very good (usually about 80%). Works perfectly.

SlimServer is running a PC that is wired (ethernet) to my router - I think thats important. Your media server should be wired to your LAN.

My only dissapointment with the SB3 (and I'm the only one who thinks this) is that the remote control (while very easy to use) is not built very well. It marks very easily, and feels quite cheap. My SB3 also has a few (very minor) marks on the back caused during assembly I suspect. These are very minor issues though. Right now, I'm very happy with my purchase.

As has been mentioned before, you will mostly find problems and complaints on any forums. If you have no problems, you're unlikely to post anything on a forum!

Chris.

gutted
2006-07-24, 03:17
I still own an SB1, but having seen an SB3 "in the flesh" I can say that they really are attractive machines, and the pics you'll find on the net don't really do it justice. You'l be surprised at how good it looks if (when) you buy it :)

It's true that the wireless models *can* experience problems. But I believe this is true of any wireless device. When I first got mine, it took a while to get it set up and working as I wanted it - mainly due to wireless interference (nothing to do with the SB). And bear in mind I'm still using the old SB1 - I understand there have been many improvement since then (not least that it now runs wireless G).

Go for it. When I first got mine, it was a great feeling to hear tracks that I'd not heard before - it gave my CD collection a new lease of life!

Do it. You know you want to.

bossanova808
2006-07-24, 04:39
I'm an Sb2 owner, I've used it both wired an unwired. Basically, I'd throw out any router if it was causing problems wit my SB - it's that good. We use it all day everyday of the week, CDs are gone baby gone and I'll never look back.

LHawes
2006-07-24, 07:40
I'm an Sb2 owner, I've used it both wired an unwired. Basically, I'd throw out any router if it was causing problems wit my SB - it's that good.

That's a really good point. If I had no hard wired option I would bit@h and moan and accuse Slim Devices of many evil things but, in the end, I'd switch routers, get more boosters and antennas, and simply find a way to get the Squeeze Box to work - "it's that good."

amrace
2006-07-24, 08:19
I have a SB3 hard wired to a PC via a 3COM Office Connect modem router. Considering I had never installed a router or Squeezebox before I found it all reasonably easy to install and configure to synchronise with iTunes. I use iTunes to rip to Apple lossless as the software is very user friendly and I had previously used it with my iPod.

I think the sound quality is excellent, my SB3 is connected via digital coax to a Yamaha AV amp, a Musical Fidelity amp and Castle Compact speakers/sub-woofer. Since purchasing it six months ago the ease of use and sound quality have got me to listen to more of my 300-ish CD collection than I have for years, and Iíve bought more new CDs than I have done for a long time. I also use the SB3 to listen to internet radio and the BBC Listen Again programmes in good sound quality from the comfort of my lounge.

Go for it.

PS. The SB3 has a high WAF in our household

Mark Lanctot
2006-07-24, 08:42
If I had no hard wired option I would bit@h and moan and accuse Slim Devices of many evil things but, in the end, I'd switch routers, get more boosters and antennas, and simply find a way to get the Squeeze Box to work - "it's that good."

I ditched an SMC 2804WBRP-G router and went with a Linksys WRT54G router specifically for this reason.

About 6 months after I did this, SB firmware 28 got the SMC router working. ;-)

b4lly
2006-07-24, 16:00
Thankyou to everyone who bothered to comment on my thread. Looks like I'll have to order one today at the latest!

And when my experience is great, I will be sure to post on this forum, so others in my position get to read at least a little positive feedback. Perhaps even a dedicated forum/thread would be cool.

Thanks again
B4lly

Mitch Harding
2006-07-24, 16:11
You won't regret it. My SB2 is the best money I've ever spent.

And hey, if you've got 2 grand lying around, you could order the new
Transporter model. :)

On 7/24/06, b4lly <b4lly.2bh2ib1153782301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Thankyou to everyone who bothered to comment on my thread. Looks like
> I'll have to order one today at the latest!
>
> And when my experience is great, I will be sure to post on this forum,
> so others in my position get to read at least a little positive
> feedback. Perhaps even a dedicated forum/thread would be cool.
>
> Thanks again
> B4lly
>
>
> --
> b4lly
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> b4lly's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=6466
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=25733
>
>

jamie
2006-07-24, 21:51
I went through a lot of yes no and maybes reading all the problems people have had with sbs in these forums while thinking about buying one. Then I downloaded slimserver and it just got worse. Couldn't get it to work. Then a few weeks ago I saw one for sale through a local online retailer and bought it on the spot. When it arrived I plugged it in and haven't looked back. I have no idea at all about networks and routers and all that stuff but it works, it sounds great, a breeze to use (I'd say if you've ever figured out how to work a tv/video/dvd/tivo from the manual you can do this) and I would totally recommened it. Need to say I use it wired so as to minimise the possibility of failure. It's a great way to listen to music.

Ade_McC
2006-07-25, 03:42
I read these forums before deciding to buy, and I'm really glad that I did. The troubles that you read on here are no worse than you find on any wireless networking forum and given the number of computer / operating system / router types and combinations it seems logical that some sytems may take a little morre setting up than others. All that I can offer in my experiance is that people reccomended me not to use Belkin and to use a router instead of a peer to peer adapter. I used a Belkin adapter on a peer to peer network to the SB3 and have had no difficulties whatsoever. I bought a 20m network cable at the time 'just in case' and it still lies in it's sealed package. I would say that even if I had had difficulties with the setup, that the audio output quality of this device is totally worth the effort.

Just do it!

b4lly
2006-08-04, 03:11
OMG! Brilliant!
Sorry I ever doubted.

Router: working within 5 mins of unpacking (wrt54G)
SB3: working within 4 mins of powering up

I somehow fear much of my spare time will now be spent exploring the many plugins and extras SB offers.

Anyone else having 2nd thoughts? Worry not!

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-04, 06:17
Have fun!

<extra characters for forum software>