PDA

View Full Version : SB1 audio problem

rmassey
2006-07-22, 20:57
I have a wired SB1 in the FR that I purchased in Dec 2004, so about 1.5 yrs old. The SB1 is having some problems.

1) It randomly stops playing, drops out or pauses if you will. Then 20-30 seconds later will kick back on. 2) At times, the audio is sounding very 'ceramic' (best word for it) or tinny and distorts randomly, using both analog and digital outputs. Keep in mind this is a wired SB1 that is connected directly to my network. Songs (320 cbr Lame MP3s) are stored on a W2003 server, Celeron 2.4 with 1.25 RAM running Raid5.

I also have a wired SB2 in the HT that has no problems Today I swithced them and put the SB1 in the HT, SB2 in the FR. SB2 plays fine in the FR, SB1 gives me the same random audio pauses. This tells me that it's the SB1. Considering the swap, I have effectively changed the network path, all wiring and the Pre/pro, etc.

What gives here. I have been using this SB1 quite successfully for about 1.5 years and now it's flaking out with no other changes to my system/server. The only thing changing is my MP3 collection is growing, now nearing 15K songs. This symptom has me ready to toss the SB1 as it's not worth listening to with the constant random pauses and distorted output.

I realize the SB1 has less memory and a lesser DAC, but it's worked fine for over a year and just now has recently shows these problems.

An ideas what may be cuasing these problems, or if these is a fix. I have rebooted and also just recently installed 6.3 on the server.

pfarrell
2006-07-22, 21:15
rmassey wrote:
> yrs old. The SB1 is having some problems.

> An ideas what may be cuasing these problems, or if these is a fix. I
> have rebooted and also just recently installed 6.3 on the server.

Your problem is most likely a side effect of 6.3.
My SB1s don't like 6.3 either. I see occasional dropouts
or pauses. I don't hear any problems with the audio quality,
but that may be because I use FLAC on my wired SB1

There is a new nightly that has fixes that address this,
it is just out and likely to be not perfectly stable.

You might want to let other folks debug it a week or so.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

rmassey
2006-07-23, 13:07
Well the same problems were present with 6.2. I just updated to 6.3 to try to eliminate any problems that may have been fixed.

I really don't think FLAC has anything to do with it here. I was able to playback MP3s on the SB1 for over a year. In fact FLAC has never played very well on my SB1. It always has dropouts with FLac and Apple lossless. No problems ever with FLAC on the SB2.

rmassey
2006-07-25, 21:47
bump-ola. I rolled back to 6.2.2 and have the same problems.

jth
2006-07-25, 22:01
If it weren't for the weird audio glitches, I'd say you were experiencing slimserver hiccups. I am running 3 SB1s with 6.3.1 without any problems. Have you tried turning on Server & Network Health to get some timing statistics? At this point you may want to contact slim devices support directly.

rmassey
2006-07-26, 06:02
Well if it was a server performance issue, wouldn't you expect it to show problems on the SB2 as well as the SB1? The fact that my SB2 perfoms AOK leads me to believe it's an isolated problem with the SB1.

Ben Sandee
2006-07-26, 06:48
On 7/26/06, rmassey <rmassey.2bk02b1153919102 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Well if it was a server performance issue, wouldn't you expect it to
> show problems on the SB2 as well as the SB1? The fact that my SB2
> perfoms AOK leads me to believe it's an isolated problem with the SB1.

If you look at the specs, the SB1 has a much lower buffer size than the
SB2/SB3. This means that any server hiccups, particularly when streaming
uncompressed PCM, will be noticed first by the SB1.

Ben

radish
2006-07-26, 06:49
Well if it was a server performance issue, wouldn't you expect it to show problems on the SB2 as well as the SB1? The fact that my SB2 perfoms AOK leads me to believe it's an isolated problem with the SB1.
The SB1 and 2 are very different internally - specifically the SB1 has a much smaller buffer and so is much more sensitive to network issues.

andyg
2006-07-26, 07:45
Please try 6.5, if you're running on Mac or Linux there are some performance settings you can enable that can help with SB1's small buffer.

rmassey
2006-07-26, 11:11
I am aware the SB1 has less memory....

From OP
>>>I realize the SB1 has less memory and a lesser DAC, but it's worked fine for over a year and just now has recently shows these problems.

I am not playing uncompressed audio. I am playing 320 cbr mp3s. They have played fine in the past and all of a sudden the SB1 is pausing randomly.

I am not running a Mac or Linux. This is a W2003 Server (see OP).

I loaded 6.3.1 this morning, but had little time to see if the problems persist. I could try 6.5, but my preference is to stick with a non Beta release. I assume this is located on the DL page or nightly page?

I may try a test and install another version of SlimServer on another box and give it a much smaller library to browse. This may help me determine if it's a library size issue or network traffic to my server with the SB1 having less memory.

The interesting thing is this SB1 has NEVER been able to play FLAC or Apple lossless. It always pauses and has issues. Now it's happening with 320 MP3s too. Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise. If I just scrap it and get another SB2 or 3. I could finally move to a lossless format.

Thanks for the tips guys, keep it coming. I also sent this off to Tech support for review.

radish
2006-07-26, 12:49
My guess is you've always had marginal bandwidth (hence mp3 plays fine but not flac, which would be sent as pcm to a sb1) and something recently changed to make it worse - interference from a new applicance (yours or a neighbours), relative positioning, etc. I'd strongly suggest running the server/network health tests as mentioned by jth.

rmassey
2006-07-26, 17:38
I can certainly try some server/network health tests. Tech support also recommended a factory reset, can't hurt.

>>interference from a new applicance (yours or a neighbours), relative positioning

Would this apply with my wired SB1 install, or are you perhaps thinking I am running wireless?

rmassey
2006-07-27, 07:09
6.3.1 and a factory reset (cycle power and hold Add+) seem to have helped. I listened to it all last night and only heard one pause. I will continue to test things and may try some Flac again.

radish
2006-07-27, 07:26
Would this apply with my wired SB1 install, or are you perhaps thinking I am running wireless?

Indeed I am - whoops :) Well in that case things point more towards the server being occasionally busy as a wired connection would have to be _very_ broken to not have enough bandwidth. The server health checks may give some clues in that direction so they would probably still be useful.

pfarrell
2006-07-28, 11:59
rmassey wrote:
> 6.3.1 and a factory reset (cycle power and hold Add+) seem to have
> helped. I listened to it all last night and only heard one pause. I
> will continue to test things and may try some Flac again.

I have experienced occasional droppouts on my wired SB1 ever since
the 6.0 series came out. I had no problems for years with the 5.x
series SlimServers.

There is a bugzillia issue open on this.
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3400
and a patch from a few nights ago makes a huge difference.

I've been running
SlimServer Version: 6.5b1 - 8581 - Linux - EN - iso-8859-1
for a few days and have not heard a single dropout.

Now I don't get to spend all day listening critically
to my SqueezeBox, but I'm listening right now to Patricia Barber's
Modern Cool, and it sounds fabulous and error free.

The 6.5 code is still beta, but it is working for me
and the patch made a huge improvement.

Pat

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html