PDA

View Full Version : So I'm Gonna Hard Wire For Ethernet and....

LHawes
2006-07-21, 17:37
As the thread title suggests I make up 50 ft. of CAT 5 cable so I can snake it through the house and get my beloved Squeeze Box back on track with a hard wired ethernet connection.

The wireless connection has been dead for 4 or 5 days and I have been fratically trying every thing to get it back on line.

So I go to the router and pick a free port, run the CAT 5 cable into the lving room, look up and there it is - the SB is running strong - wirelessly of course.

So I turn it on and it runs and plays every thing perfectly - WIRELESSLY. With the CAT 5 cable sitting on the floor.

What is up with that?

snarlydwarf
2006-07-21, 17:54
This is one of the fields that has taken a lot of computer research, and as much as I hate to admit it, Microsoft is probably well ahead of the pack: Artificial Intelligence.

Your Squeezebox, router or perhaps your server wanted to teach you a lesson. You can bet that it is busy laughing at you right now, and probably sharing its exploit with others. This is the same reason why, 5 minutes before your big project is due, Word will crash and destroy every draft copy.

Hopefully some day Open Source and Apple projects will be able to have this sort of Artifical Intelligence.

Well, I don't think there is any question about it. It can only be attributable to human error. This sort of thing has cropped up before and it has always been due to human error.

LHawes
2006-07-21, 18:00
Ain't it the truth. I'm crackin up snarly. I wonder if the mere threat of going with the hard wire scared the SB straight.

I know as long as that wire is in the house that sucker is gonna work perfectly but if I throw it away or take to the office that wireless is gonna shut down.

I think I'll just keep that 50 footer tucked behind the couch and every couple days I'll wave it menacingly at the SB and scowl. That should keep it hooked up till it can figure another way to get under my skin and have another laugh.

Best

Larry

Michaelwagner
2006-07-21, 22:18
One of murphy's laws of technology was
"it is a mistake to allow any machine to know that you are in a hurry".

This seems like a similar situation, where it is a mistake to let a wireless SB know you are impatient to hear your music.

Marc Sherman
2006-07-22, 06:51
LHawes wrote:
> As the thread title suggests I make up 50 ft. of CAT 5 cable so I can
> snake it through the house and get my beloved Squeeze Box back on track
> with a hard wired ethernet connection.
>
> The wireless connection has been dead for 4 or 5 days and I have been
> fratically trying every thing to get it back on line.
>
> So I go to the router and pick a free port, run the CAT 5 cable into
> the lving room, look up and there it is - the SB is running strong -
> wirelessly of course.
>
> So I turn it on and it runs and plays every thing perfectly -
> WIRELESSLY. With the CAT 5 cable sitting on the floor.

Well, you sent that on Friday night. I wouldn't be surprised if there's
some kind of 2.4GHz interference source in your neighbourhood that runs
monday-friday, but is idle on the weekends. If so, you'll find that your
wireless problems return monday morning at 9am, and you'll be thankful
that you left the CAT 5 handy.

- Marc

LHawes
2006-07-22, 07:51
Yeah the SB gave up over night and the wireless problem/interference has returned this morning. The CAT 5 has fixed the problem as is expected. Slim Devices is sending me a new unit just to eliminate that as a factor. I'll post and let the board know what I discover, if anything, with the new unit.

shabbs
2006-07-22, 11:40
Well, if you've already run the wire, you might as well stay wired and get better transmission.