PDA

View Full Version : Form factor

Squirrel
2006-07-21, 00:54
Got two Squeezeboxen now (Mk3, one in black for the office, one in white for the bathroom), and I have to say it's an impressive little device.

What I'd really like now are two things:

1. Hi-fi separate sized unit, preferably with front panel controls so it's possible to operate it without the remote. Obviously it doesn't need all the controls on the front panel, but enough to make the basic functions useable would be fine. Would also like a twist/push knob (like on the Turtle Beach Audiotron) which could be mapped into the cross-hair arrow functions.

I have two Audiotrons (one in the main system and one in my bedroom) which I keep because of the form factor. Unfortunately these have now been discontinued, so should anything happen to them I'll be a bit stuck. Unless of course a variation of the Squeezebox is released as a hi-fi separate sized component...

2. Ultra-slim wallmount unit. The SB3 looks like it was initially designed to be wall mounted, but unfortunately the connectors at the back and the metal stand poke out too far to do a neat job. What would be perfect here would be a slightly revised case design that would fit over a flush mounted dual-gang electrical box, nicely hiding all the wiring behind the unit.

This form-factor combined with a concealed power amplifier and ceiling or flush-mount wall speakers would look really classy as a multiroom solution.

A nice little touch on the second option would be a passthrough input - my AV amplifier in the living room (Arcam AVR-250) has a Zone 2 line out which currently feeds the kitchen. If the SB had passthrough I could connect the Zone 2 output to this, then the line out to the amplifier. When the Squeezebox is turned off the passthrough gets automatically connected to the line outputs.

This means I can have Terry Wogan in the kitchen from the Arcam's tuner when I'm making the coffee, but could turn the Squeezebox on and play my "what's cooking" playlist in the evening.

Any comments?

depeche
2006-07-21, 04:19
Amen to the component sized, shall I add, aluminum-faced form factor!!

Hey! I'd pay extra for that!

Andrew

----- Original Message -----
From: "Squirrel" <Squirrel.2bacdn1153468501 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
To: <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Friday, July 21, 2006 12:54 AM
Subject: [slim] Form factor

>
> Got two Squeezeboxen now (Mk3, one in black for the office, one in white
> for the bathroom), and I have to say it's an impressive little device.
>
> What I'd really like now are two things:
>
> 1. Hi-fi separate sized unit, preferably with front panel controls so
> it's possible to operate it without the remote. Obviously it doesn't
> need all the controls on the front panel, but enough to make the basic
> functions useable would be fine. Would also like a twist/push knob
> (like on the Turtle Beach Audiotron) which could be mapped into the
> cross-hair arrow functions.

Squirrel
2006-07-24, 09:45
Yes... that was the biggest attraction of the Audiotron (Turtle Beach), you could sit it in your hi-fi rack and it wouldn't look out of place.

Have asked this question before and got an "ummm..." answer. There's certainly a market for this type of product - that's why Turtle Beach kept selling out of Audiotrons!

joncooper
2006-07-24, 10:05
I particularly like the idea of the dual-gang electric box sized unit. That, like you said, coupled with some flush ceiling mount speakers and an amplifier hidden somewhere would be an excellent solution. A wireless addon could be an additional cost, given the possibility of Cat5 cabling right into the box.

I'm dreaming of that dream house again dammit :)

Squirrel
2006-07-24, 10:29
Yeah... I'm in favour of a wired solution wherever possible. Both my Squeezeboxen are wired - I've got to run cables in for power and audio out anyway, so might as well run Cat5 in as well.

Mongo
2006-07-24, 10:46
I would love to see a touch screen version that can show album art during playing as well as more lines of items you are searching for. Should still be able to operate on remote as well. Visibility should be across the room.

Pale Blue Ego
2006-07-24, 13:05
Yeah, wired is best for trouble-free setup, operation, security, bandwidth, etc. It's just better. If you can't run cat-5, then Homeplug ethernet technology is a great alternative. In many cases it's actually better than running a wire, because you can move the network "wire" to any AC outlet if your needs change.

joncooper
2006-07-24, 13:10
Your dreams may yet be coming true.... an SB4....

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=25771

Squirrel
2006-07-25, 02:24
Yup, just saw that on the homepage.

All I want now is a cut down version of the Transporter - doesn't need the uber-DAC cos I can just plug it into the Arcam AV amp and use the DAC in that (which is pretty amazing). Perhaps with slightly toned down styling... although that unit would look great in my kit rack!