PDA

View Full Version : Poll: CD Ripping

audiofi
2006-07-20, 07:04
Quick poll to see if there is any interest in this.

I noticed the threads about a lack of CD-Ripping software included and wondered if anyone would be interested in an easy to use program, simply insert disk and go?

It is based around CDex and the setup program gives 3 options, MP3 160, 320 or FLAC, whichever is chosen it will automatically configure.

I have also bundled a couple of home made programs which suppress any pop-up windows to make it easier for the less technically minded people.

If there is enough interest, I'll post a link to the setup file where you can download it.

Thanks

Andrew

nicketynick
2006-07-20, 07:34
Sounds like a useful tool to me......

Victor
2006-07-20, 08:37
Sounds useful, but is it a Windows only solution?

LHawes
2006-07-20, 08:42
Andrew I would have LOVED such a solution before I've taken the effort to set up EAC. When I first got my SB and knew very little about ripping it would have a been really handy tool.

Seems it would still be a great tool for those less inclined to hassle with EAC, foobar etc.

Larry

audiofi
2006-07-20, 09:17
Sounds useful, but is it a Windows only solution?
Yes, Windows only at the moment (95, 98, ME, NT, 2k, XP)
It looks like they are developing CDex for linux, so if that happens I'll look into a linux version.

autopilot
2006-07-20, 10:04
I have a few non-techie friend who would probably benifit from something like this, as long as it was reliable.

I usually recommend something very simple, but often simple = crap. A good foolproof interface to a decent ripping engine would be good (kind of like Nero's Smart Start).

Ogg would be good too, as a few friends of mine need gappless playback.

Give us the link, i will take a look.

Thanks.

PS - A Linux version would be pointless IMO. If people can handle using linux, they should be able to use a CD Ripper!

audiofi
2006-07-20, 10:24
I have sent the link via pm.

You're probably right about the linux version too.

CardinalFang
2006-07-20, 12:22
We've all already taken the plunge and got ourselves up and running, so it's a moot point for this audience.

The question is really a marketing and product management issue - is a bundled, easy-to-use ripper necessary to maintain a leading position in an increasingly competitive landscape?

I think it is, but I don't need one myself, I've already gone through the pain.

nicketynick
2006-07-20, 13:31
We've all already taken the plunge and got ourselves up and running, so it's a moot point for this audience.

The question is really a marketing and product management issue - is a bundled, easy-to-use ripper necessary to maintain a leading position in an increasingly competitive landscape?

I think it is, but I don't need one myself, I've already gone through the pain.

Good point - might have been better to post this poll in the Beginner's forum (or qualified the responses with 'beginner/not-beginner')

Squirrel
2006-07-21, 02:28
I personally use ripit.pl on NetBSD (Perl wrapper for cdparanoia/lame) with my own modification to run mp3gain over the ripped CD afterwards (bye-bye loudness wars).

However this is quite a techie solution, no GUI, all CLI based. What would be nice is a consumer electronics style solution (something that can be installed on a HTPC with a slot-load style drive) that behaves like this by default (options configurable):

Insert audio CD.

Check CD against database of ripped CDs. If it's already been ripped, start playing ripped version and eject CD.

If it hasn't been ripped:

Check for CD-Text labels on CD. If present then use these for ID3 tags. If not then perform a CDDB lookup.

Begin ripping. Once first track is encoded, start playing album from beginning. When ripping complete eject disc.

This would obviously need to work with some kind of media library manager, but that's the way I'd imagine it working.

audiofi
2006-07-21, 02:57
I personally use ripit.pl on NetBSD (Perl wrapper for cdparanoia/lame) with my own modification to run mp3gain over the ripped CD afterwards (bye-bye loudness wars).

However this is quite a techie solution, no GUI, all CLI based. What would be nice is a consumer electronics style solution (something that can be installed on a HTPC with a slot-load style drive) that behaves like this by default (options configurable):

Insert audio CD.

Check CD against database of ripped CDs. If it's already been ripped, start playing ripped version and eject CD.

Check for CD-Text labels on CD. If present then use these for ID3 tags. If not then perform a CDDB lookup.

Begin ripping. Once first track is encoded, start playing album from beginning. When ripping complete eject disc.

This would obviously need to work with some kind of media library manager, but that's the way I'd imagine it working.

This works similarly, insert disk and run batch file (this starts the ripper and related programs, although it could be set to run upon cd instertion)

If the music has already been ripped, it ejects the disk, if not it consults freedb (if there is more than one entry it takes the first automatically)

When ripping is complete is ejects the disk and you run a different batch script which closes the programs.

There is an option in CDex for it to playback cd's, so I'll check that out.

Andrew

fauzigarib
2006-07-21, 03:05
Hey there,

Nice poll. I personally consider myself semi-techie, and I think that it's very important to have a ripping package included within the box.

I can understand that it raises the price quite a bit, and also takes away from the (obscene, imo) ripping charges that are mentioned, but personally, I think that it would widen the market should something like this be included.

My intent is not to start a flame war like in another thread... simply get Andrew to PM me a link to his software!!! :)

Regards,

Fauzi

audiofi
2006-07-21, 03:14
Hi,

I'll send you a pm with the link to the software now.

Andrew

tommyz
2006-07-21, 03:30
Hi audiofi,

Did you modify CDEx or just the setup?

ciao, TommyZ

audiofi
2006-07-21, 03:33
CDex is standard, I just configured the ripping settings and switched on auto-rip as well as adding a few programs which press various buttons when pop-up windows ask a question.

Mark Lanctot
2006-07-21, 05:52

Insert audio CD.

I guess the problem I have problem I have with preconfigured, automatic rippers is the lack of flexibility.

I'm sure we've all seen the problems with CD lookup:

- Titles That Use Capitals On Words Like The, And, A, Etc. Very Annoying.

- Tytles with speeling errorrs

- Genres not exactly what you'd agree with - I've seen Black Sabbath tagged with an R&B genre!

- Titles that were "helpfully" expanded by someone but that don't match what's on the CD back.

There isn't a disc I rip that I don't have to make a correction or two. On several there were multiple entries that I had to choose from. And I've had one or two that weren't found at all.

I also like to have flexibility with tagging. For one thing, I don't care about year or track number. Also when tagging MP3s, I use ID3v2 only - if I use ID3v1 simultaneously I find SlimServer can get confused.

Perhaps a newbie might not need as much flexibility as I've become accustomed to, but I bet they will need some flexibility with CD lookup.

audiofi
2006-07-25, 12:31
Sorry for the delay, am up in Edinburgh on holiday and have only just got internet access.

The setup program is here: http://www.audiofi.co.uk/reviews/Setup.exe

Any problems with it, post here and I'll reply when I get a chance

ModelCitizen
2006-07-25, 14:35
I'd only be interested if I knew I could exactly create a replica CD from the rip (bit for bit). If this was the case I'd be very interested. Otherwise, not at all. I too spent considerable time configuring EAC (but nowhere near as much time as I have spent getting SlimServer to work correctly).
MC

Justme
2006-07-26, 12:19
Great idea, but it would be nice if it worked with all CD's, even those with DMR.

My biggest pet hate, is to spend all that money on a CD only to find it has DMR and I can't rip it. I've had some shockers, where even my CDROM couldn't see the CD. Crazy stuff.

How do you guys work with these CD's on your CD Ripping service?

Mark Lanctot
2006-07-26, 12:26
I've had some shockers, where even my CDROM couldn't see the CD.

Do you have your CD-ROM set to autorun?

If you do it has likely installed a "helpful" player app that's doing this. From the moment you first inserted the CD, you'll only be able to play the CD from that app and the CD will be hidden for all other purposes. Lovely.

Autorun can be disabled in the registry.

Unfortunately now that the player app is on your PC you have to remove it, but it may hide or leave traces of itself behind. The most infamous example is the Sony/BMG debacle, which was a rootkit. Truly nasty.

nicketynick
2006-07-26, 12:26
Hey, that's a good question...... I'm looking forward to the response......

audiofi
2006-07-26, 15:49
If using WinXP, try holding down the shift key as you put the CD in until it has finished reading it, this deactivates any hidden software on the disk.

I have only had 1 disk so far which has failed and that was one of the early DRM ones which just ejected itself so I haven't yet found a way around it without messing around burning to minidisc then back to cd.