PDA

View Full Version : Wireless won't connect ethernet works

brooky
2006-07-19, 08:53
Hi,

I had to buy a new router today and I can't get SqueezeBox to connect via wireless network.

There is NO encryption on the wireless ADSL Modem Router (Netgear DG834GT) and there is no access list so anything should be able to connect to it.

My laptop works fine wireless with it.

The SqueezeBox has been factory reset and the wireless connection just times out. :(

Does any one have any ideas what might cause this? It is only about 10 yards from the wireless router.

LHawes
2006-07-19, 09:07
I'm having the same problem but mine was working perfectly for a couple of weeks with the wireless, then it just quit. If I find a solution I'll certainly post it.

Larry

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=25607

brooky
2006-07-20, 02:52
Still no luck for me. Absolutely lost. Hope it's not broken..

LHawes
2006-07-20, 06:50
Still no luck for me. Absolutely lost. Hope it's not broken..

Mine still broken too. Will try to hard wire this weekend. If that doesn't work I'll have to return the 'potentially' greatest music gadget ever.

brooky
2006-07-20, 06:58
What a pain in the backside. I need wireless as the device is on the otherside of the world to the server.

// pretty much

Siduhe
2006-07-20, 07:43
When you say that your wireless won't connect, can the SB "see" the network and just fails to connect, or does it not see the network at all ?

I'm guessing the latter from your post ?

If the former, is there any "hide SSID" option on the router which you can switch off ?

If the latter, is there any possiblity of an IP conflict, i.e. for some reason, the SB is trying to claim the same IP as your laptop and can't connect because the laptop already has it. Are you using static IPs or DCHP ?

If the router thinks that the laptop has a certain IP address allocated and the SB tries to connect using the same IP, that could stop it from connecting the network. One way to check this would be to disconnect the laptop from the network, reboot the router (which should reset the IP allocation) and then try to connect the SB.

Also, does the router have any security log setting (my Belkin does) that will show you when something tries to connect to the network ? May give a clue what is going on.

brooky
2006-07-20, 07:47
For me the SB can see the network it just won't connect. The laptop is never in (I rarely use it).

No ecryption on the wirless network, no access list and nothing else I can think of getting in the way.

I'm completely befuddled.

LHawes
2006-07-20, 07:54
The fact that your laptop works fine points IMHO to something amiss with the Squeeze Box itself. What that, exactly, is is impossible to guess. The fact that there are multiple threads in the forum about wireless connections that just don't work makes me beleive there is something either inherently wrong with the hardware or it is just the same old wireless illusion that we (I) always fall for. That illusion is that it will actually work.

A couple of years ago I tried a wireless setup in my office and the network was continually dropping off and it was impossible to get any work done. In that case it was critical the netwok function properly so I hard wired the whole office. Beleive me when I say that is the short version of that nightmare. I swore I would never do wireless ANYTHING again.

My wireless (which I thought I would at least try since a couple of years had gone by since my last misadventure) Squeeze Box worked perfectly out of box, which now that I think about it, was probably too good to be true. I know there are many and perhaps most wireless users without any problems but when they occur it is such a nightmare to try and resolve.

So I'll try to hard wire this weekend and really feel your pain if that's not an option. And anyone who hasn't had these problems with your SB knock on wood,. Not because it's the end of the world or really that big a deal it's just that the Squeeze Box is SO DAM COOL I can't imagine living without it.

LHawes
2006-07-20, 07:58
For me the SB can see the network it just won't connect. The laptop is never in (I rarely use it).

No ecryption on the wirless network, no access list and nothing else I can think of getting in the way.

I'm completely befuddled.

Not to hijack brooky, but my symptoms seem to be the same. My SB will find the 'linksys' network and get all the way to assigning an IP then just shut down. It want to find an automatic IP DCHP or something like that then wants to assign one manually, then shuts down.

brooky
2006-07-20, 08:03
Funny mine used to do that but now I just get a 30 second attempt to connect to my wireless network "devellion".

Try doing a factory reset on the SB.

Turn it off and then turn it on holding down the add button.

LHawes
2006-07-20, 08:38
Funny mine used to do that but now I just get a 30 second attempt to connect to my wireless network "devellion".

Try doing a factory reset on the SB.

Turn it off and then turn it on holding down the add button.

Yeah tried that, and a router firmware upgrade, and a Slim Server upgrade, and unplugging the cordless phone, and I guess the more I read the more it looks like I have the 30 second thing goin on as well.

brooky
2006-07-20, 08:43
Isn't this just fun fun fun.

Siduhe
2006-07-20, 08:43

You may well be right about the problem being with the SB.

However, just because you don't use the laptop very often doesn't mean that your router hasn't reserved a particular IP address for it which could (in theory) lead to the kind of conflict problem I describe above. The SB should try to pull a different IP address from your router to those already reserved to other kit, but it's all I can think of at this point (oh, other than turning off any SuperG functionality if your router has that ? That used to be a big cause of connection failure as you'll see if you check the routerstatus list - thought it was resolved now but perhaps not ?)

I don't know netgear routers at all well, but what is the lease time for each connecting piece of hardware set at ? Have you tried rebooting the router and then connecting via the SB.

brooky
2006-07-20, 08:52
Thansk for all your help folks I'll give that a try. :O) It would be cool if the SB had some kind of error log.

Mark Lanctot
2006-07-20, 08:54
Have you tried a static IP address for the SB?

Pick one outside the router's DHCP pool, but still within the router's subnet, usually 192.168.1.xxx.

Siduhe
2006-07-20, 08:57
I think your router log would be the best thing to look. It may show connection attempts by the SB and, if so, why it is failing. I see that brand of router has a built in firewall, not my area of expertise, but perhaps the router is rejecting the incoming request from the SB for some reason ?

From the manual:

"The router will log security-related events such as denied incoming service requests, hacker probes, and administrator logins. If you enabled content filtering in the Block Sites menu, the Logs page can show you when someone on your network tries to access a blocked site. If you enabled
e-mail notification, you will receive these logs in an e-mail message. If you do not have e-mail
notification enabled, you can view the logs here [i.e. in Network Management]."

brooky
2006-07-20, 09:01
Why did I not think of that.

My log says (after a delete and attempt to connect):

Thu, 2006-07-20 16:00:40 - TCP Packet - Source:72.56.8.155,60919 Destination:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,32459 - [DOS]

BUT... I think that isn't SB related.

Infact thats my ISP IP.

Siduhe
2006-07-20, 09:04
Does it come up every time you try to connect ?

You can temporarily disable the DOS = Denial of Service functionality on the WAN set up page and see if that allows you to connect.

brooky
2006-07-20, 09:05
I think it is the port used by utorrent. A torrent download client I am using..... let me try a few things.

ChrisOwens
2006-07-20, 09:41
Is it a Squeezebox 1? Or a 2 or 3? It wasn't something like you were connecting via 802.11b with your old router, but you've set the new one to be 'G' only, is it?