PDA

View Full Version : Wireless or Ethernet Connection?

LHawes
2006-07-19, 06:47
My Squeeze Box will not find the network anymore through the current wireless set-up and I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem that was remedied by hard wiring the SB with an ethernet connection?

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=25607

stinkingpig
2006-07-19, 06:56
On 7/19/06, LHawes <LHawes.2b73hb1153317001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> My Squeeze Box will not find the network anymore through the current
> wireless set-up and I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem
> that was remedied by hard wiring the SB with an ethernet connection?
>
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=25607
>
>
Wire is always better, unless it's not possible in your house, in which case
wireless is better. Wireless ethernet is flaky in terms of persistence and
speed. In fact, I'm typing over a wire right now because the wireless access
point two feet away on my desk hung up last night and it was quicker to plug
in the ethernet than to power cycle the router. If you can do wired, do it.

--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

vdorta
2006-07-19, 07:36
I suppose you tried resetting the SB. I haven't had any problems with my wireless and I would rather have the audio as separated as possible from the computer's noisy environment.

LHawes
2006-07-19, 09:05
I suppose you tried resetting the SB. I haven't had any problems with my wireless and I would rather have the audio as separated as possible from the computer's noisy environment.

I'm not sure you read my original link posted above but I have tried a LOT of re-setting and reconfiguring to no avail. It's either try wired ethernet or send the unit back as it has simply stopped working after 2 weeks of perfect operation.

vdorta
2006-07-19, 09:38
Sorry, my fault for not reading well.

Zten
2006-07-19, 09:51
This actually happens to me quite frequently (several times per week). I have never tried my SB with an ethernet cable. To fix my problem, I have to re-boot my router (This fixes it 70% of the time). Sometimes I have to reboot the computer, too (25%). 5% of the time I have to even re-boot the SB. I understand you've tried all this already, so I can't tell you what to try next.

omar
2006-10-29, 23:29
my slim device seems pretty flaky. occasionally i'll get the 'connecting to wireless network...' problem, even though my computer a few feet away is connected wirelessly with no problem and good signal.

also, sometimes i see a problem where i'm connected to the wireless but i get a 'connecting to squeezenetwork...' status that doesn't change for a long time.

this is kind of ridiculous. i was hoping this would be a more reliable device.