PDA

View Full Version : remote by psp and cellphone

heldo
2006-07-19, 06:36
After searching this forum i was wondering if i could use a psp not only as a remote control for the squeeze box but also to listen music on, streamed from the squeezebox.
With other words, can i connect with my psp to the slimserver
which would be installed on my laptop as well as my nslu2 (im not a squeezebox owner yet, but thinking of buying one), pick a song, and listen it through the audio out of my psp.

I also read that the SB can be controlled through a cellphone with bluetooth, does the SB has a bluetooth connection, or should this connection be made with my PC first, this would state that my PC has to be on, to establish any connection between my phone and the SB.

radish
2006-07-19, 07:28
After searching this forum i was wondering if i could use a psp not only as a remote control for the squeeze box but also to listen music on, streamed from the squeezebox.
With other words, can i connect with my psp to the slimserver
which would be installed on my laptop as well as my nslu2 (im not a squeezebox owner yet, but thinking of buying one), pick a song, and listen it through the audio out of my psp.

Yes, you can use a PSP as a remote, in fact you can use anything with a web browser. I'm not sure why you'd have slimserver running in two places though - that's not the normal usage pattern.

I also read that the SB can be controlled through a cellphone with bluetooth, does the SB has a bluetooth connection, or should this connection be made with my PC first, this would state that my PC has to be on, to establish any connection between my phone and the SB.
I've not heard of this one. There's certainly no specific bluetooth support in tyhe product but if you had a phone with a web browser and could connect to your network (and thus the slimserver) with bluetooth then it could work.

azinck3
2006-07-19, 08:24
Yes, you can use a PSP as a remote, in fact you can use anything with a web browser.

I don't think this is quite what the OP was asking.

Heldo,
I'm not that familiar with the PSP, but if it has the ability to play an MP3 stream then, yes, you could theoretically do what you're proposing--you'd simply point the PSP's media player at 'http://server-ip/stream.mp3'. To be clear: the PSP would be playing music streamed from *Slimserver*, not from the Squeezebox.

But I don't think that you'll be very satisfied with this solution. There will likely be a lot of lag between your control inputs and hearing the response on the PSP (this is a problem with all streaming mp3 clients on Slimserver; hardware squeezeboxes stream differently). Additionally, even if the PSP happens to have a media player capable of playing an mp3 stream, it's notoriously slow as a web browser and will certainly be further crippled by being asked to simultaneously playback audio.

oreillymj
2006-07-19, 09:28
I tried and failed to get the PSP to play anything back from http://<slimserverIP>:9000/stream.mp3

I don't think the PSP actually does stream music. What it can do is download and playback files from within an RSS.xml document.
I spent a lot of time mucking around with the hanheld skin and just hi a dead end trying to get the PSP to playback anything but static files.

If you have iTunes on your machine, then this page http://blogs.zdnet.com/ip-telephony/?p=1036
will step you through setting up a small server that will allow you to serve music to your PSP.

As for Bluetooth controlling your SB, the only way of doing this I can think of is by writing a VBScript plugin for Float's Mobile agent. There's an existing plugin that can control Media player and Winamp that you could hack.
But you need a Sony Ericsson mobile to use that app.

radish
2006-07-19, 15:28
I don't think this is quite what the OP was asking.

I think you're right :) Sorry!

heldo
2006-07-19, 15:31
Thanks for the fast and informative replies.

[QUOTE=radish]Yes, you can use a PSP as a remote, in fact you can use anything with a web browser. I'm not sure why you'd have slimserver running in two places though - that's not the normal usage pattern.

I understand, a slimserver only on the nslu2 would work just fine. As i said im not an SB owner yet.

Azinck3 and Oreillymj thanks for your precise answer to my psp question.
So to use my psp as a remote for the SB and as a device to listen streaming music on, i should use slim server to let the psp connect to, as a remote for the SB. And to use it as a streaming media player i should use itunes.
The configuration, as i assume that both itunes and slimserver can't be both installed on the nslu2 together, or do they?, should be:
-slimserver on the nslu2
-itunes on my pc, meaning that my pc should be on to stream music with the psp.
Am i correct?

Ross L
2006-07-19, 16:20
I'm not so sure the PSP can stream music, as was already mentioned. The PSP can however access the slim server web interface running on your nslu2.

In other words, you'll open the PSP web browser (have it connected to your home network via wireless of course) and navigate to http://<nslu2IP>:9000 and you'll be able to control your slim server / Squeezebox via the PSP.

In this case the PSP would just be a nicer way of controlling the Squeezebox / slim server... not really receiving the stream.

Does that make sense?

heldo
2006-07-22, 03:42
thanks for the info

mikerob
2006-07-24, 01:28
For control of the Squeezebox using Bluetooth (via a computer) see software from www.salling.com

I've used it with a Sony Ericsson phone via a Mac to control the Squeezebox.

I just set it up to see how it worked but don't actually do it for everyday use.