PDA

View Full Version : New SB3 - 100% WAF!

chris.mason
2006-07-19, 03:19
Hi all,

I FINALLY bought an SB3. I've only been playing with slimserver/softsqueeze (which is fantastic btw, thanks to Richard Titmuss for all the work on that - its allowed me to try everything out) for 8 months...

So I took the plunge when I saw the SB3 being sold by Scan (http://www.scan.co.uk) for 185 for the wireless version on their Today Only list. Couldn't miss that.

I have it all installed and running. Last night and this morning I showed my wife *some* of what it can do. She loves it! She loves how it looks, and the music its playing. Just came and told me how much she's enjoying listening the random music selection I set running for her.

Who'd have thought it? A decent audio device with 100% Wife Acceptability Factor.

mattybain
2006-07-19, 05:23
IMO I think you have a rare breed there. Keep hold of her!!

autopilot
2006-07-19, 11:09
Same here, my girlfriend loves our SB3. In fact she bought it for me. She demo's it to our friends more than i do! (although she would not have the slightest idea how to rip a CD or set up slimserver).

nicketynick
2006-07-19, 12:51
Same here, my girlfriend loves our SB3. In fact she bought it for me. She demo's it to our friends more than i do! (although she would not have the slightest idea how to rip a CD or set up slimserver).

I'm not going to mention which recent thread this makes me think of (got a little hot!), but here is the perfect argument in support of the original post in that thread! My SO's the same, as much as she loves what the SB3 does for her, she looked at me like I had 3 heads while I made myself busy ripping all the CD's, and all the other assorted weird techie stuff I was doing to make it work (I think she even got a little jealous.....)
IMO, congratulations to SD & the SB (and all the developers!) for coming out of the closet, so to speak, (Pandora & Rhapsody really helping here!), but with the greater market penetration there are going to be more and more people looking for support and easy out-of-the-box-music. I'm sure SD are ready for it!

stinkingpig
2006-07-19, 15:40
On 7/19/06, nicketynick <
nicketynick.2b7kdn1153338901 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> dangerous_dom Wrote:
> > Same here, my girlfriend loves our SB3. In fact she bought it for me.
> > She demo's it to our friends more than i do! (although she would not
> > have the slightest idea how to rip a CD or set up slimserver).
>
> I'm not going to mention which recent thread this makes me think of
> (got a little hot!), but here is the perfect argument in support of the
> original post in that thread! My SO's the same, as much as she loves
> what the SB3 does for her, she looked at me like I had 3 heads while I
> made myself busy ripping all the CD's, and all the other assorted weird
> techie stuff I was doing to make it work (I think she even got a little
> jealous.....)
> IMO, congratulations to SD & the SB (and all the developers!) for
> coming out of the closet, so to speak, (Pandora & Rhapsody really
> helping here!), but with the greater market penetration there are going
> to be more and more people looking for support and easy
> out-of-the-box-music. I'm sure SD are ready for it!
>
>

My wife likes it okay, but doesn't like my taste in music :) She hasn't
discovered the Internet radio yet, and probably won't since she has
discovered bit torrent and there isn't any bandwidth to spare for music.

Interestingly enough, my 8 year old son figured out the Squeezebox. I had to
help him distinguish between browsing and searching, but he knows how to
find the Ramones and play audiobooks, and that's all he wants.
--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

Ross L
2006-07-19, 16:12
WAF... I love it!

http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?Acronym=WAF&Find=find&string=exact

It's already listed!

aubuti
2006-07-21, 09:41
Interestingly enough, my 8 year old son figured out the Squeezebox. I had to help him distinguish between browsing and searching, but he knows how to find the Ramones and play audiobooks, and that's all he wants.
I've just got to ask: what kind of audio books does an 8 year-old who listens to the Ramones like? Sounds like a cool kid -- certainly has good taste!

stinkingpig
2006-07-21, 11:00
LOL -- mostly Harry Potter

On 7/21/06, aubuti <aubuti.2bb0wz1153500301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> stinkingpig Wrote:
> > Interestingly enough, my 8 year old son figured out the Squeezebox. I
> > had to help him distinguish between browsing and searching, but he
> > knows how to find the Ramones and play audiobooks, and that's all he
> > wants.
> I've just got to ask: what kind of audio books does an 8 year-old who
> listens to the Ramones like? Sounds like a cool kid -- certainly has
> good taste!
>
>
> --
> aubuti
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> aubuti's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2074
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=25634
>
>

Skunk
2006-07-21, 19:50
No WAF to overcome here, but the GF got me a turntable for my birthday. While having it's charms, more than anything it makes me appreciate the Squeezebox.

For ultimate WAF the player's display should show vacation photos when idle.

chris.mason
2006-07-26, 02:39
My 5 year old daughter really likes it too. She can find her Disney audio books on there, and her music too (all listed under her own genre...).
My wife too thought I was mad spending sooo long ripping (and sometimes re-ripping) CDs (using dbpoweramp), spending ages getting the tagging schema just right (esp. for classical), and defining the genres I wanted. All worth it now though....
....And shes just discovered podcasts as well. Even better when I took the podcasts she likes and added them to the podcast browser.